monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:09 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Your 25,000 # is just lightly misleading as a majority of those are people who kill themselves. The murder rate with guns has been about 11,000 people per year, but keep up the anti-gun rhetoric.

I like how you're asking me to provide more context here though. I especially find it interesting that context seems to mean nothing to you (general you, not specifically you) when it comes down to things like Trump giving an order to end an investigation. In that situation, context doesn't matter, all that matters is specifically the words that were said, not the context in which they were said.

But here, context is very important.

Interesting huh?
0 Replies

snood

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:10 am
@giujohn,
No, but when the shooter is a flag waving redneck republican supporter, the word is never used.
giujohn

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:25 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

No, but when the shooter is a flag waving redneck republican supporter, the word is never used.

Pray tell us of such an incident.
maporsche

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:25 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Next he's going to say that the words used don't matter as they don't change the incident.

He'll say this to you with a straight face and then will conveniently forget how much he criticized Obama for not saying "Radical Islamic Terrorist", while at the same time excusing Trump for not saying it when in the Middle East.
glitterbag

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:26 am
@georgeob1,
Shut up George tut tut tut
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:30 am
@maporsche,
I'm not dismissing people who commit suicide, I'm dismissing your use of their deaths as a talking point to be used to change the gun laws. There are many more countries out there with strict gun control laws and still have a higher suicide rate than the US does. Strict gun laws do nothing to lessen the suicide rate as Japan and other such countries prove, few guns but massive suicide rates in comparison to the US.
maporsche

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:31 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

snood wrote:

Pray tell us of such an incident.

Eric Rudolph
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/05/14/victims-abortion-clinic-bomber-eric-rudolph-still-taunting-us-from-prison.html

Frank Silva Roque
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2003/09/30/arizona-man-convicted-in-sept-11-connected-murder-sikh.html

Scott Roeder
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/06/02/accused-abortion-doctor-shooter-charged-with-first-degree-murder.html

Jim D Adkisson
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/07/28/cops-say-church-shooting-suspect-hated-gays-liberals.html

I'm sure I could find more if I had another 35 seconds to spare.
giujohn

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:32 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

snood wrote:

Next he's going to say that the words used don't matter as they don't change the incident.

He'll say this to you with a straight face and then will conveniently forget how much he criticized Obama for not saying "Radical Islamic Terrorist", while at the same time excusing Trump for not saying it when in the Middle East.

Don't bother trying to put words in my mouth I'm much more eloquent than you ever could be.

This was a terroist act...a political terroist act. And words do matter...such as when former AG Lynch wanted Comey to say "matter" rather than investigation.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:38 am
@snood,
It wasn't work place violence and as far as we know it wasn't a spurned lover. I'm not willing to call it terrorism quite yet but it sure seems to have targeted people of a specific political following by someone who maybe didn't share their political beliefs.

If it were a Trump supporter shooting up the Dems who were practicing for a friendly baseball game, would you consider it terrorism or assassination?
Below viewing threshold (view)
snood

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:39 am
Un-be-frikking-lievable. They're blaming "the left" for creating a violent atmosphere. But did they blame Trump for encouraging acts of violence and promising to pay legal fees for those committing them? It isn't even dignified enough to be called hypocrisy. No words.
glitterbag

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:46 am
@snood,
It's fun, ain't it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 11:51 am
In our last federal election, I had a preference for who our Prime Minister would be (he isn't our PM), but I would have been happy with three of the leaders of our 4 major parties, and would have tolerated the 5th.

I can't imagine feeling, or expressing, the vile and hateful things I see posted here.

___

Seriously. Who benefits most from Americans being at such odds with each other?

I feel so sad for a country I have loved so much for so many years.
blatham

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:01 pm
@snood,
Me likes your response, snood.
0 Replies

Blickers

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:02 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote Baldimo:
Quote:
There are many more countries out there with strict gun control laws and still have a higher suicide rate than the US does.

Cultural differences. In Japan, for instance, there is a tradition of suicide being expected for a big enough disgrace. Back in the seventies, there was a very famous radical artist who was also gay, (not that big a stigma in Japan). Nevertheless, a poll showed that well over half the Japanese women said they would kill themselves if they found out they had to marry him. True story.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:09 pm
About time somebody cleared the room of Comey, eh?

Quote:
The fired FBI director told lawmakers he confronted Lynch over a sensitive document reportedly suggesting she had agreed to stop any Clinton prosecution.

During the closed-door conversation, Comey reportedly told lawmakers Lynch looked at the document and then looked up with a “steely silence” -- and directed Comey to leave her office.

Loretta won't put up with no obstruction of her plans, eh?

I pity the cheese-eaters. Now they have to go back to calling Comey a damn liar again. Their heroes turn out to be villains.

Maybe if they scream for more investigations, one of those investigations will not end up exposing them instead of their enemies. Then again, maybe not.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:10 pm
Quote:
Take a deep breath, think of the victims and their families, and resist the opportunity to score cheap points in the game of social media memes. Just for today, at least.

The Week
Blickers

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:11 pm
@Baldimo,
By the way, how about that bet you said you were willing to make in this post? Let me refresh your memory for you:
Quote:
I'm willing to bet that if you went back to Blickers posts during the 2012 elections, she was laughing at Romney and clapping for Obama when he said the 80's wanted their Foreign Policy back...

Like I said, you're on. Produce the post in 2012 where I said what you said I did, and I will send $25 to the charity of YOUR choice and post a pic of the receipt on here for all to see.

In return, if you DO produce a post from 2012 where I said what you did, I send a contribution to the charity of YOUR choice and post a pic of the receipt on here.

How about it? Did you did that post up from 2012? Or are you going to back out, thereby proving your word is not to be taken seriously???
camlok

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I feel so sad for a country I have loved so much for so many years.

That explains your rank partisanship and skewed responses.
0 Replies

snood

Wed 14 Jun, 2017 12:17 pm
@Blickers,
He'll Probably just ignore it and hope you forget about it
0 Replies