InfraBlue

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 01:07 am
@Krumple,
Yet another non sequitur. You're on a roll.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 06:21 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Lash wrote:

Trump enunciates approval of gay marriage from his golden throne. So, cool. One issue down, 23, 532 to go. Very happy to have this one in my column.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/305803-trump-diverts-from-gop-fine-with-supreme-courts-gay-marriage

I just have to point out. Lash you were bashed more than Trump was on this board. And he was bashed a lot. I noticed how most of them are no longer around. Funny how that is. Your comments werent even that extreme they just dont want to admit you were right on some stuff.

Well...I might take exception to that...I've taken as much...( where's my God damn therapy dog!)
Lash

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 06:30 am
@giujohn,
I'm not complaining. If a scepter goes with this award, you can have it.
giujohn

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 06:46 am
@Lash,
And a sash as well?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2016 01:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Foolishly I didn't at all anticipate the demonstrations, but if I had I would have anticipated that they would lead to violence and they have which is pretty sickening, but maybe our absent members aren't avoiding this place, but are marching in the streets of their cities with "He's not my president!" written in Magic Marker on their foreheads.
I know (personally) quite a few members who are absent (or least only posting very, very rarely). But that happened already months and years ago.

They didn't announce it with an own thread, though.
Those you mean must have done it the very sam way and posted on threads, I didn't notice.
It a bit stupid, in my opinion, to join only for an election and leave afterwards, if your candidate lost. (Perhaps they would have left in any case after the election?)

Anyway, nice to read your opinions again.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 10:08 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Going with the popular vote in the US would be like going with it in Europe: Brussels, London, Berlin, & Madrid would decide a single leader to preside over every other soul in Europe.

I mean, some of the exact examples you use prove you wrong. Even if every European country had proportional representation, cities like Berlin and London would demonstrably not get to decide who the leader gets to be. We know this because we can check how they vote now... and how little it matters.

Berlin is a left-wing city. Merkel's CDU did worse in Berlin than anywhere else in Germany. But even with de facto proportional representation (I know it's complex, Walter), it didn't matter: the city's votes easily got cancelled out by the rest of the country's. Merkel won the German elections despite Berlin. She's now the most powerful person in Europe despite Berlin.

London is a mostly left-wing city. Labour was the largest party in London in the last general election. The UK has a district-based system, but it doesn't matter: even with proportional representation, London's votes would have easily gotten cancelled out by the rest of the country's. Cameron's Conservatives won the British elections despite London.

The European Union is overseen by a European Council in which leaders from center-right/right-wing parties are in the majority, and the largest party in the European Parliament is the christian-democratic EPP. This is so despite the fact that, in most European countries, those parties do worse in the big cities than elsewhere. Most European countries have electoral systems that ensure some form of proportional representation (some more than others). It doesn't lead to "Brussels, London, Berlin, & Madrid" getting to decide the leader in their respective countries. It would do so no more on a Europe-wide level.
Lash

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 10:17 am
@nimh,
You're so crafty. You wrote a lot about the European cities I pulled out of the air, side-stepping the point that a few populous cities shouldn't determine a single leader for such a disparate group of people spread across such a vast area.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 10:26 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Going with the popular vote in the US would be like going with it in Europe: Brussels, London, Berlin, & Madrid would decide a single leader to preside over every other soul in Europe.

You really have no idea how the EU works. There are no presidential EU elections, the president is appointed and has very little power.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 10:30 am
@oralloy,
Tu quoque or what. I've not said our system is better, although an idiot like Trump could never be pm. I've pointed out that you don't have to cling to archaic systems because you're terrified of losing what little history you actually have.

We don't also vote for the executive leader, we just vote for our MP. You're talking absolute nonsense as always.
maporsche

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 10:38 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You're so crafty. You wrote a lot about the European cities I pulled out of the air, side-stepping the point that a few populous cities shouldn't determine a single leader for such a disparate group of people spread across such a vast area.

You must have missed the breakdown that I provided that the top 50 cities in population in the USA only account for around 20 million votes (out of 135 million cast).

The cities alone cannot and would not decide who the president is.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 11:03 am
What nimh and izzy said
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 11:10 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You're talking absolute nonsense as always.
Not surprisingly - extremely right-wing ideas can hardly be covered by a left-wing coat.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 11:56 am
If it's any consolation, I understood your point Lash. It really didn't have anything to do with what the last 4-5 users posted, but more of analogy comparing the US to Europe. That free states are independent of the whole and a popular vote is not the answer.
maporsche

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 12:04 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

If it's any consolation, I understood your point Lash. It really didn't have anything to do with what the last 4-5 users posted, but more of analogy comparing the US to Europe. That free states are independent of the whole and a popular vote is not the answer.

I understood her point too McG.

I offered proof that it's impossible for even FIFTY cities in the USA to determine the election.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 12:10 pm
@maporsche,
No, you offered an opinion based on your own extrapolation of data.

When the actual numbers come in, then you can gather the data of the number of voters from the 50 largest cities and compare them to the rest of the country. THEN you will have offered proof.

But, I get your point as well.
maporsche

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 12:21 pm
Here are calculated (based on population, % over 18 years old, and 58% voter turnout) voter populations in the top cities in the USA

Top 50 Cities = 20.88 MM voters
Top 100 Cities = 27.6 MM voters
Top 200 Cities = 34.9 MM voters
Top 300 Cities = 40.1 MM voters

Top 50 include cities with population in the 388,000-8.5 million range like Tulsa, OK; Wichita, KS; Mesa, AZ; Nashville, TN; Columbus, OH; Seattle, WA; Dallas, TX and of course the biggest 5 (New York, LA, Chicago, Houston, Philly)

Cities from 50-100 include cities with population in the 216,000-388,000 range like Arlington, TX; St. Louis, MO; Anchorage, AK; Lincoln, NE; Boise, ID; Baton Rouge, LA

Cities from 100-200 include cities with population in the 132,000-216,000 range like Spokane, WA; Fayetteville, NC; Akron, OH; Tempe, AZ; Frisco, TX; Warren, MI; Cedar Rapids, IA;

Cities from 200-300 include cities with populations in the 100,000-130,000 like Davenport, IA; Tyler, TX; Green Bay, WI; Waterbury, CT; Provo, UT;
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 12:22 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

No, you offered an opinion based on your own extrapolation of data.

When the actual numbers come in, then you can gather the data of the number of voters from the 50 largest cities and compare them to the rest of the country. THEN you will have offered proof.

But, I get your point as well.

Fair enough
DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 12:25 pm
@maporsche,
Trump Staff Shake-Up Slows Transition to Near Halt

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President-elect Donald J. Trump’s transition operation plunged into disarray on Tuesday with the abrupt resignation of Mike Rogers, who had handled national security matters, the second shake-up in less than a week on a team that has not yet begun to execute the daunting task of taking over the government.

In a statement on Tuesday, Mr. Rogers, a former congressman from Michigan who led the House Intelligence Committee, said he was “proud of the team that we assembled at Trump for America to produce meaningful policy, personnel and agency action guidance on the complex national security challenges facing our great country.” And he said he was “pleased to hand off our work” to a new transition team led by Vice President-elect Mike Pence.

In another sign of disarray, a transition official said on Tuesday that Mr. Trump had removed a second senior defense and foreign policy official from his transition team, Matthew Freedman, who runs a Washington consulting firm that advises foreign governments and companies seeking to do business with the United States government.

Mr. Freedman, who had been in charge of coordinating Mr. Trump’s calls to world leaders after his election, is a former business associate of Paul Manafort, Mr. Trump’s former campaign manager, who once worked on the re-election bid of Ferdinand E. Marcos, the Filipino dictator ousted in the 1980s.

Mr. Pence took the helm of the transition on Friday after Mr. Trump unceremoniously removed Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, who had been preparing with Obama administration officials for months to put the complex transition process into motion. That effort is now frozen, senior White House officials say, because Mr. Pence has yet to sign legally required paperwork to allow his team to begin collaborating with President Obama’s aides on the handover.

In other news, Dr. Carson is not interested in heading Health and Human Services.

I'm just watching this and shaking my head.....
DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 12:26 pm
@DrewDad,
LAPD will not help deport immigrants under Trump, chief says
Baldimo

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2016 01:16 pm
@DrewDad,
I like how liberals play both sides of the field when it comes to immigration enforcement.