Baldimo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 11:23 am
@McGentrix,
I wonder what the percentage of public vs private owned tv channels in the UK and EU is?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:11 pm
@Baldimo,
The BBC was formed by an act of parliament and is bound by law to be impartial which is why it's the most trusted news organisation in the World. Foreign BBC journalists have spoken of the warm reception they get when natives find out who they work for.

There's Sky News and ITV, and a lot of BBC stuff is contracted out to privately owned contractors. It's a far cry from the tawdry journalism in America who laid back and broadcasted government propaganda in the run up to the illegal war in Iraq.

If your news broadcasters were half as good as ours you wouldn't have presidential candidates asking what a leppo was.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:38 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
No, that sounds ridiculously German.
Well, the Nazis did it to stay in power
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:42 pm
@izzythepush,
I've relied on the BBC on American politics more than the domestic news media for many years.
visceral

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:42 pm
@McGentrix,
Trump isn't our prez..........it's Steve Banyon....and if you think anything less, you're sadly mistaken. Trump doesn't even read the documents given him to sign.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:43 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

If your news broadcasters were half as good as ours you wouldn't have presidential candidates asking what a leppo was.

Because they be at the dentist all the time? I don't see what one has to do with the other.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:44 pm
@visceral,
visceral wrote:

Trump isn't our prez..........it's Steve Banyon....and if you think anything less, you're sadly mistaken. Trump doesn't even read the documents given him to sign.

Steve Banyon of the Toledo Banyon's?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:45 pm
@visceral,
All the indications that Trump is a puppet are there for everyone to see. Trump mangles the English language when left on his own.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
No, that sounds ridiculously German.
Well, the Nazis did it to stay in power

Well, that would explain why it sounded so German. Leave it to those guys to keep wanting a Reich of one form or another. What are you guys up to now? Fifth?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:47 pm
@McGentrix,
Take it easy, McG. Not all Germans are Nazis.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:47 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It's a far cry from the tawdry journalism in America who laid back and broadcasted government propaganda in the run up to the illegal war in Iraq.

I don't know what you watched, but I saw plenty of dissent during the run up to the war in Iraq and not much propaganda for it from the news here. Foxnews might have been pushing for the war, but the rest of the news outlets, which are privately owned, were not for the war or even remotely friendly to the Bush admin. It only bothers you that they didn't start every news cast with a burning effigy of Bush.

Quote:

Once again I'm not sure what news you watch from the US, but the situation in Syria was on the news almost everyday. Aleppo and the refuge crises was also a daily fixture here in the US news. I think Gary's issue was dependent on what his concern was for the US. I don't think he was all that concerned with issues outside the US, because they don't effect the average American. While not a true isolationist, he is the person who mostly likely would want to pull US forces from different parts of the world and concentrate on US issues. I would think you would appreciate a US President who didn't want to save the world and let other countries handle their own issues.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yet all Republicans are racists and bigots.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:51 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
I wonder what the percentage of public vs private owned tv channels in the UK and EU is?
The EU consists of 28 (in future 27) countries. Every country had different regulations and tv companies.

Here, in Germany, it's regulated on the state's level = different in all 16 states. (Though similar in a few, because these co-operate.)
Gernerally speaking, we've got two public tv-companies with a couple of different channels and the so called Third Programmes (regional broadcasters).

Privately owned, there are numerous local and regional tv-channels (I get about 80) plus about 80 different channels by the five larger privately owned groups plus hundreds more.
Additionally, we've got pay-per-view channels, and channels you subscribe to, mostly owned by Murdoch.

Wikipedia's list isn't totally correct but gives a good idea
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:52 pm
@Baldimo,
I agree. Most of us understood why the US chased out the UN inspectors.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 12:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Won't argue the past, but it does indeed fly in the face of Izzys claims about how our news works.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 01:15 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Well, that would explain why it sounded so German. Leave it to those guys to keep wanting a Reich of one form or another. What are you guys up to now? Fifth?
Actually, it was the English translation as used by wikipedia. (In German it was Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda.

We neither had a forth nor fifth Reich. Since 1949 we are a Federal Republic.

First Reich: the Holy Roman Empire 962–1806, l
Second Reich : the German Empire ("Deutsches Kaiserreich"), 1871–1918
Third Reich: German Reich ("Deutsches Reich"), 1933–1943 [later the Greater German Reich ("Großdeutsches Reich"), 1943–1945]
Baldimo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 01:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What happened to the east/west split? One half of Germany was a Republic, I didn't think there was a unified Germany until the 1990?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 01:22 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
What happened to the east/west split? One half of Germany was a Republic, I didn't think there was a unified Germany until the 1990?
Just reminding that there has been a "Germany" since 1871 ... when Germany became unified.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 01:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, you brought the whole Reich thing up, I thought it was something you wanted to discuss...

Quote:
British conservative and eurosceptic journalist Simon Heffer wrote in the Daily Mail in 2011: "Where Hitler failed by military means to conquer Europe, modern Germans are succeeding through trade and financial discipline. Welcome to the Fourth Reich". In 2014, Nigel Farage, the former leader of the most popular eurosceptic party in the UK (UK Independence Party) said he opposed "naked militarism" as the political bloc's flag was "goose-stepped around the yard" to mark the start of a new parliamentary session.
-=Wiki=-

Of course I don't believe Germany has any vested interest in Nazism anymore than any Republican does. Yet for some reason, it keeps coming up.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2017 01:27 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Of course I don't believe Germany has any vested interest in Nazism anymore than any Republican does. Yet for some reason, it keeps coming up.
We have quite a high percantage of neo-Nazis here, even in local and state parliaments.
0 Replies