Will You Watch the Debate?

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 09:57 pm
The Bush Administration has done such an excelent job of confusing Iraq with 9/11, as a matter of fact, that it has Bush himself confusing the two.

That was a textbook example of the power of propaganda.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 09:59 pm
They did indeed both make that mistake (switching hussein for bin laden).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 09:59 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
nimn, you are one of my favorite posters here on A2K. I don't respond much to threads but I follow them religiously.

I certainly will vote Green on your behalf.

<blushes>

I am honoured. I really am, practically to the point of feeling ashamed about asking it in the first place, since one shouldn't really ever ask anyone to cast his vote your way.

But I do sincerely hope that Cobb will get a respectable share of the vote for the Greens. I think the Green Party could really grow into a proper alternative to the main parties in at least local / state politics. I think thewir Progressive voice is one painfully missing in current-day mainstream American politics. And I also think they deserve kudos for resisting the temptation of letting Nader take them on his crash-course ride. They're being constructive, and I hope lots of people in states where Bush or Kerry will win in any case will show them their political appreciation for it ...

OK, now I can get off of my pulpit cause I feel a little less guilty now that I actually put forward an argument for voting Cobb ...

<smiles shily>
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:02 pm
hiya nimh, you're up early/late!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:03 pm
Well nimh, like I said, my vote will be in vain. I'm so flippant about that fact that I'm considering voting for myself.

But then Joe brings up hope through miracles, and now I've got three candidates to choose between.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:08 pm
nimh wrote:
. . . one shouldn't really ever ask anyone to cast his vote your way.

That's exactly what Kerry and Bush just did tonight.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:09 pm
Unlike Sozobe (I was waiting for your take on it!), I think Bush was more convincing with the human touch - you know, where he spoke about their daughters and stuff. Bush seems to possess the enviable ability to just completely relax, within an instant - become that pleasant enough guy at the neighbourhood BBQ - before packing himself and straining into debate/attack mode again. Kerry almost pulled off the same kind of graciousness in reply, but seemed to stutter more through it ("and I do want to, eh, acknowledge, eh, Mr. Bush's daughters"). Still, like Bill said, he was more human than before, smiled a lot and yeah, made GWB smile too (though whether thats a point for Kerry or a point for Bush is open for debate).

To continue with such in-depth analytic matters concerning the issues of the day, one more from Jessi Klein:

Quote:
OK, guys...
Posted 10:25 p.m. ET

Now they're complimenting one another on how great a father the other one is. Um, guys? Get a room.

(I'm just having fun with this b/c I first read (and hated) Novak's and Begala's blogs ... how the political debate deteriorated into a juxtaposition of equal parts partisan spin from either side is a wholly different issue again ...)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:17 pm
Oh ya. And another thing... why doesn't anyone care that neither of these men, nor the UN seem to care about the Sudan genocide? How does that slip between the cracks? Mad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:21 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
nimh wrote:
. . . one shouldn't really ever ask anyone to cast his vote your way.

That's exactly what Kerry and Bush just did tonight.

LOL, well thats true ...

InfraBlue wrote:
Well nimh, like I said, my vote will be in vain. I'm so flippant about that fact that I'm considering voting for myself.

But then Joe brings up hope through miracles, and now I've got three candidates to choose between.

Hmm. Well, if the kind of miracle occurs that would have Kerry win Texas, he wouldn't need your vote either ... it'd be a landslide. So might as well make your vote help a promising new party ...

Only reason I can think of that would make me vote Kerry, if I were in Texas, is the possibility of a 2000 situation repeat ... to prevent the hypothetical possibility of Kerry winning the EC but not the popular vote this time, or to help win the Democrat at least the popular vote even if he loses the EC again - just to make a point.

Actually, Kerry winning the EC this time while losing the popular vote might be a blessing in disguise ... it would be the one thing after 2000 that might bring both parties round to attempting serious electoral reform.

dagmaraka wrote:
hiya nimh, you're up early/late!

Late, late, very late ...

I was sick today ... was too shaky and ill this morning to go out, and slept a-all afternoon after spending an odd hour or two hunched over the computer screen here ... guess I'm also just still exhausted from all the long days, short nights and stress of last week with the conference. But dammit, now it's night (early morning, even) and I can't sleep.

Getting off the computer would probably help though ...

Good to hear about your good mood the other day on some other thread!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:27 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Oh ya. And another thing... why doesn't anyone care that neither of these men, nor the UN seem to care about the Sudan genocide? How does that slip between the cracks? Mad

Kerry said he'd go there - work through the African Union, send any resources they might need, and if that doesn't work, even send troops there - "because we can't let a second Rwanda take place".

Wait, lemme look it up:

cbs2chicago.com: full transcript of debate

Quote:
Now, with respect to Darfur, yes, it is a genocide. And months ago, many of us were pressing for action.

I think the reason that we're not saying send American troops in at this point is severalfold.

Number one, we can do this through the African Union, providing we give them the logistical support. Right now all the president is providing is humanitarian support. We need to do more than that. They've got to have the logistical capacity to go in and stop the killing. And that's going to require more than is on the table today.

I also believe that it is -- one of the reasons we can't do it is we're overextended.

Ask the people in the armed forces today. We've got Guards and Reserves who are doing double duties. We've got a backdoor draft taking place in America today: people with stop-loss programs where they're told you can't get out of the military; nine out of our 10 active duty divisions committed to Iraq one way or the other, either going, coming or preparing.

So this is the way the president has overextended the United States.

That's why, in my plan, I add two active duty divisions to the United States Army, not for Iraq, but for our general demands across the globe. I also intend to double the number of special forces so that we can do the job we need to do with respect fighting the terrorists around the world. And if we do that, then we have the ability to be able to respond more rapidly.

But I'll tell you this, as president, if it took American forces to some degree to coalesce the African Union, I'd be prepared to do it because we could never allow another Rwanda.

It's the moral responsibility for us and the world
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:38 pm
That don't cut it dude. Every Senator, every congressman, every leader in the free world should have already been screaming for action long ago. "could never allow another Rwanda"? What better description is there for what's already taking place?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:40 pm
That was Kerry. This is Bush on Darfur - with some impromptu sidenotes:

Quote:
In terms of Darfur, I agree it's genocide. And Colin Powell so stated.

We have committed $200 million worth of aid. We're the leading donor in the world to help the suffering people there. We will commit more over time to help.

We were very much involved at the U.N. on the sanction policy of the Bashir government in the Sudan. Prior to Darfur, Ambassador Jack Danforth had been negotiating a north-south agreement that we would have hoped would have brought peace to the Sudan.

[nimh: The north-south agreement had nothing to do with Darfur, whatsoever. It aimed to resolve a long-standing civil war between the government and a rebel force in the south of the country - far away from and unconnected to the violence in Darfur]

I agree with my opponent that we shouldn't be committing troops.

[nimh: Note that Kerry just said that he would be willing to commit tropps if that's what "it took".]

We ought to be working with the African Union to do so -- precisely what we did in Liberia. We helped stabilize the situation with some troops, and when the African Union came, we moved them out.

My hope is that the African Union moves rapidly to help save lives. And fortunately the rainy season will be ending shortly, which will make it easier to get aid there and help the long-suffering people there.

[nimh: Focusing merely on providing aid is exactly what Kerry was criticising when he pointed out that all Bush did was send "humanitarian support". The killing is done by troops and government-affiliated vigilantes. Food aid won't stop it. Nor will the end of the rainy season - that will probably actually lead to an escalation of violence, since the thugs will be moving around more freely again.]
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:43 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
That don't cut it dude. Every Senator, every congressman, every leader in the free world should have already been screaming for action long ago. "could never allow another Rwanda"? What better description is there for what's already taking place?

True, too true. But at least Kerry is acknowledging that too little is indeed done at the moment - and bottom line, he'd even be willing to send troops in (dunno what yer average American feels about that, tho). Compare Bush's answer.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:47 pm
Both answers were identical in my book. BS lip service. Some sh!t just shouldn't be tolerated, ever.
But I suppose that's another thread.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 10:52 pm
Bill Occom wrote:
" . . . every leader in the free world should have already been screaming for action long ago."

The rest of the world is waiting for US leadership on this issue, as it does for most all others.

We're dropping the ball badly on this one.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:07 pm
Agreed Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:12 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Both answers were identical in my book. BS lip service. Some sh!t just shouldn't be tolerated, ever.

Bill, I don't get it.

Kerry says we need more than just humanitarian aid to stop the killing in Darfur; that America should give the AU "the logistical support [..] to go in and stop the killing" and that ultimately, "if it took American forces", he'd "be prepared to do it".

Bush refers to a peace agreement that isn't actually about Darfur, emphasizes that America sends humanitarian aid, reiterates that "we shouldn't be committing troops" and leaves it at the "hope [..] that the African Union moves rapidly to help save lives".

You can think both men were not resolute enough, but "identical BS"? It's a pretty stark contrast in proposals ...
Basically, all Bush is proposing, concretely, is to send more aid that, when the rain season is over, will hopefully more quickly arrive at the destination. And leave the rest to the AU. With some benevolence you can read more into the reference to Liberia, but not when the man just said that "we shouldn't be committing troops".

Kerry, however, is saying, yes, humanitarian support, plus providing the AU with logistical support to actually stop the killing, plus even sending American troops in.

What's identical about these positions?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:12 pm
Infra

I am sure they Afghanistan and Iraq were better off with the taliban shooting women publicly and Saddam cutting out their tongues... Do you think they hate freedom? You have been listening to the extreme left and appear to have swallowed the bull whole. Have another slice of brie...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:16 pm
nimh wrote:
Well, for what its worth the Question of the Day on msnbc.com is "Who won the debate?", and the score right now is 72% Kerry, 28% Bush, with 155,000 answers in. And before you go, well, its MSNBC, yesterday I clicked on an online MSNBC poll on "who are you goinbg to vote for" and it had 57% Bush.

575,000 votes now and its 70%/30%.

Wish I knew where to find a neutral assessment of how the debate went ... but everything in America seems to be polarised. Media, blogs, pundits - all you get is "he said-he said".

I'm always surprised at how often news reports rely on interviewing pundits/spinners from the two respective sides ... Dutch media much more often pass by the professional spinners and instead interview independent experts in the field. But of course, for that you do need to actually have independent experts, which in our multi-party system is easier, everyone criticizes everyone, you have little of that falling in line with your side's talking points stuff. But even aside from the overall polarisation I'm amazed at how much air/press-time the paid political spinners get in US media.

OK, now I'm gonna have some sleep. Damn pollitishans ...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 11:17 pm
My last post was in regard to this quote by Infra

InfraBlue wrote:
Bush talks about a free Afghanistan and a free Iraq as being vital to the security of the US, but it is the US that is the biggest violator of Afghani and Iraqi freedom. The US is occupying both counties, and is attempting to impose what it believes is the best political/economic system for them, and is operating through puppet governmets in both countries. That's freedom?
0 Replies