No Justice, No Peace

izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 09:55 am
@snood,
Gooey must be suspended, he's using one of his sock puppets.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 12:06 pm
At a young age when Steve Harvey learned how to drive, Steve was taught how to behave when stopped by a police officer. Steve Harvey also taught his child the same things that he was taught. Following these tips could very well save your life. Although, I don't remember anyone ever teaching me these tips, most of these tips I already follow. The underlined question isn't whether or not these are good tips to live by, because I already follow these tips. The question is do all races need to follow Steve Harvey's tips to not get shot, or does it only applies to specific races? If all races fail to follow these tips when stop by police officer, will the outcome be the same?

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 12:14 pm
Police officers are not necessarily the bad guys. Black Lives Matter are not necessarily the bad guys. The issue is much more complex than labeling any group as the bad guys. This video show that the police officers and Black Lives Matter can both be the good guys.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 12:39 pm
@Real Music,
That's not the point, the point is why are so many innocent unarmed black men shot by police. That's what needs to be addressed, not some meaningless box ticking of who are the good and the bad guys in all of this.

If you don't understand why something happens you're never going to stop it.
Real Music

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 12:49 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That's not the point, the point is why are so many innocent unarmed black men shot by police. That's what needs to be addressed, not some meaningless box ticking of who are the good and the bad guys in all of this.

If you don't understand why something happens you're never going to stop it.

You are preaching to the choir. I completely agree with everything you said. There was nothing in my post that contradict anything that you said. Look at both of my back to back posts. I thought I was suggesting that white people don't necessarily have to be on their P's and Q's to not get shot, while blacks on the other hand have to watch what they say and be extra careful with every move. That's the point on racism that I thought I was making with the Steve Harvey video tips.

In my second video post, I thought that I was suggesting that not all police officers are bad and that the Black Lives Matter movement disapprove and denounce violence and killings of anyone, including police officers.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 01:07 pm
@Real Music,
So why the platitudes instead of addressing the causes?

This struck a chord with me.

Quote:
Critics have accused Charlotte authorities of a lack of transparency over the delay in releasing the footage, compared with the swift action taken after a police shooting in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where a white officer has been charged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37464614<br />
Maybe they can take a leaf out of Tulsa's book. Charging someone doesn't mean they'll be convicted, but it does mean the police authorities are taking the matter seriously. Police are less likely to take a shoot first ask questions later approach if they stand a real chance of being up in front of the beak.

Also from the BBC, the real article is much longer.

Quote:
The relationship between black Americans and the police is once again in the spotlight.

This time, Charlotte in North Carolina is a focal point of unrest, after a black man was killed by officers this week. There have also been peaceful protests in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where a police officer has been charged with manslaughter.

This is a recurring cycle of violence in the US. According to one research group, over 100 unarmed black people were killed by the police in 2015 and a string riots have occurred following similar shootings in 2016.

But what can be done to resolve this?

Five US experts share their thoughts on rebuilding trust between black American communities and the police.

More police in the community - Christopher Bracey

Like any social problem, the first step is to simply acknowledge that a policing problem exists.....

Housing and education key - Robert J Sampson

There's always a tendency to say let's train the police and they're not going to be prejudiced and the problem will go away. Well, no.....

Analyse mistakes - Jeffrey A Fagan

Courts routinely award damages totalling hundreds of millions of dollars to citizens who have suffered injuries or rights violations from the police....

Look at English police - Sam Sinyangwe

It will take a range of solutions to really address this issue.....

Reconceptualise policing - Tracey Meares

I think the most important thing we need to do, honestly, is to fundamentally reconceptualise what we think the job [of an officer] is about.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36799554<br />

Real Music

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 01:22 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
So why the platitudes instead of addressing the causes?

This struck a chord with me.

There have been multiple recent killings against black people by police officer across the country. There is clearly racism behind many of these killings. Yes, I support having each one of these cops on a case by case basis to have to answer for their offense. I believe any and all bad racist cops should be prosecuted for their murderous killings. I also want the Black Lives Matter Movement to stay active and keep up the pressure to address this problem, because it is a major problem. I also believe that there are a lot of good cops around the country who are getting a bad rap because of the actions of the bad racist cops.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 01:46 pm
@Real Music,
As I said on this thread - I think it was - I think the key matter is not just training, but police culture, which I take as somewhat variable in different departments, and that it is a matter of police culture at the top, which is why I'm starting to repeat saying, "Top down!"

I'm a Los Angeles person, a city I still love, but a city of much distress, and now living in, of all places, Albuquerque, also a town with some ugly blots on the police behavior blotter.

I've not lived in LA for almost twenty years, so I'm not so up on stuff, but there were at least efforts made to improve. I'm slow to pay attention to ABQ in general, living on the far side of town and not moving around much, but I need to read up more, and at least write letters, which my old self used to do. Actually, my old self would more often personally talk to authorities (assemblymen and women, people on city council), not send letters. Thing is, that was another instance of talking to the already converted, the people I already knew somewhat - but I found they wanted the feedback backing them up.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 01:46 pm
@Real Music,
How does the racism manifest itself? Are they down and out racists who hate black people or are they just scared of them? Is your gun culture responsible for shoot first instead of trying to deescalate the situation? What tactics are taught?

You may end up with a down and out racist police officer, but if he knows he will be going to jail if he doesn't follow established best practice procedures he's going to think twice about shooting an unarmed black person.
snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:18 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
I also believe that there are a lot of good cops around the country who are getting a bad rap because of the actions of the bad racist cops.

That's probably true. But it also needs to be said that the "bad cops" who are doing bad things are not doing them in a vacuum. Many if not all of of these things have to be happening with the knowledge of the "good cops". What often keeps justice from being served on the "bad cops" is the silence of the "good cops" - keeping obediently behind that "blue line".
Real Music

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:22 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
How does the racism manifest itself? Are they down and out racists who hate black people or are they just scared of them? Is your gun culture responsible for shoot first instead of trying to deescalate the situation? What tactics are taught?

Yes, I suspect there is a small percentage of cops across the country that have a racist hatred toward black people. I suspect the percentage is a little bit higher of cops who may have a racist fear black people. There should be much more training in how to deescalate situations. There should also be much more training in how to prevent a situation from escalating in the first place. That may not eliminate the racism, but I believe it will help make things better.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:33 pm
@Real Music,
I don't think you can ever eliminate irrational hate, but it can be contained.
Real Music

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:40 pm
@snood,
Quote:
But it also needs to be said that the "bad cops" who are doing bad things are not doing them in a vacuum. Many if not all of of these things have to be happening with the knowledge of the "good cops". What often keeps justice from being served on the "bad cops" is the silence of the "good cops" - keeping obediently behind that "blue line".

Good point. Will the good cop do the right thing putting his own career on the line by reporting wrongdoing of a fellow police officer? Or does he keep quiet not say anything and let someone else stick their neck out. We know that the right thing to do would be to speak up, but I can see how it could get complicated. Maybe if a cop could report wrongdoing or racist behavior of another cop anonymously. That might be possible solution.
snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:46 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
Good point. Will the good cop do the right thing putting his own career on the line by reporting wrongdoing of a fellow police officer? Or does he keep quiet not say anything and let someone else stick their neck out. It seems so clear to me, but I can see how it can get complicated.

Why is it complicated? they are supposed to be instruments of justice. That shouldn't get "complicated" when the ones committing the crimes happen to be coworkers. I think it may not be easy, but it's very simple. They have to choose to do the right thing - period.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:51 pm
@snood,
I agree, and take that as a natural part of the culture.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:52 pm
@snood,
Quote:
They have to choose to do the right thing - period.

You have no argument from me.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:57 pm
@snood,
This sounds a little bald but I think it comes down to standing up for the crew or losing your job and buddies.

I don't personally know, it's my supposition.
snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 03:16 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

This sounds a little bald but I think it comes down to standing up for the crew or losing your job and buddies.

I don't personally know, it's my supposition.

Yeah, like I said - choosing to do the right thing. You're a cop; you either enforce the law or not.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 04:33 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

That's probably true. But it also needs to be said that the "bad cops" who are doing bad things are not doing them in a vacuum. Many if not all of of these things have to be happening with the knowledge of the "good cops". What often keeps justice from being served on the "bad cops" is the silence of the "good cops" - keeping obediently behind that "blue line".
Agreed. It is also true that the Blacks who commit a disproportionate (to their numbers) fraction of the crimes those cops try to prevent and violations of the laws they enforce, are not operating in a vacuum either. What are the equivalent responsibilities of the community from which they emerge?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 04:40 pm
@snood,
I suspect you don't understand me.

Or maybe not. I take police as a culture, which makes sense, but I don't like the culture at present or forever.
0 Replies