No Justice, No Peace

oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 10:23 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
In May a white policewoman was acquitted of shooting an unarmed black man whose hands were raised in the air at the time.

Was acquitted of shooting a black man who appeared to be on PCP (and in fact was on PCP), who refused to obey commands of police officers and kept edging towards his car window while carefully noting the positions of the officers who were confronting him, and whose hands suddenly darted into the car window to reach for something.

Those darn facts again....
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 10:32 am
@oralloy,
Why don't you check into rehab, dude?
oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 10:54 am
@edgarblythe,
Rehab for telling the truth? Is there such a thing?

If there is, I really don't want to stop telling the truth, so no thank you.
snood

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 11:06 am
@oralloy,
Do you know of any unjustified cop shooting of a black person at any time?
oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 01:50 pm
@snood,
Might depend on the meaning of unjustified. If a cop honestly believes that someone is armed, and shoots them, but that cop was mistaken, is that justified or unjustified? Because I can think of several times that has happened, to both black and white people.
snood

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 02:44 pm
@oralloy,
Have you yourself ever seen or heard a report or story about a police shooting of a black person by a cop when you yourself thought the cop was in the wrong?
oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 04:45 pm
@snood,
I never draw conclusions without looking into the facts. If I don't bother to look into the facts of a case, I don't draw conclusions about it.

By "in the wrong" do you mean malicious intent (as opposed to an honest mistake made in good faith)?

Cases where police officers kill people with ill intent are few and far between.
snood

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 05:33 pm
@oralloy,
So I'll try one last time. Ever seen a case where (after you took in all the facts and saw all the information available) your final take on it was the cop shot and killed a black person without sufficient cause/ They were wrong - they clearly should not have killed the person? Yes or no?
oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 06:35 pm
@snood,
I've seen cases where a cop has killed someone who clearly should not have been fired upon, so yes.

The cops were mistaken and acting in good faith though, not acting out of malice.

You know, some 90 years ago the county sheriff shot up my great uncle while he was unarmed. He didn't sit around whining about it. He ran inside and grabbed his shotgun, and put a 12 gauge slug in the back of the sheriff's head.

I recently got to hold "the shotgun". It's a legendary heirloom in my family and some relatives are going to have it restored and mounted, so it came out of storage for the first time in a number of decades.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 10:20 pm
@oralloy,
Son of a gun, in the back of his head. Let me guess, you think that makes your uncle a hero........?
Sturgis

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 10:26 pm
@glitterbag,
I think that's just a made up family tale. The story lost any credibility after Oralloy said the guy was "shot up" and then "ran" into the house and grabbed his shotgun.

Really? Shot up and still able to run? Really?

Please learn to mix some credibility oralloy, it will help to lend a smidgen of belief to your tall tales.
snood

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2017 11:03 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I've seen cases where a cop has killed someone who clearly should not have been fired upon, so yes.

The cops were mistaken and acting in good faith though, not acting out of malice.

That last part that I bolded was significant. You say the cops didn't act "out of malice". How in the hell could you know that? And that's my point about you. Without fail in these discussions about cops killing unarmed blacks, you assume the blacks were thugs that must not have been following directions, and you assume the cops were all acting with pure intentions. Why is that? Why is it so easy to you to envision bad blacks, but not bad cops? Because they wear a uniform? Are they automatically imbued with some kind of superior morality because they have a badge? Some of these police departments have training that lasts 2-3 months or less (compare that to the year or more to train Great Britain cops). Do they all automatically become "good people" once they put on the suit and carry a badge, stick and gun?

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 11:11 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Son of a gun, in the back of his head. Let me guess, you think that makes your uncle a hero........?

He is a great hero. It was awe inspiring to actually hold "the shotgun" and think of that very gun in my uncle's hands 90 years ago as he defended himself from that crazy sheriff.
oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 11:13 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
I think that's just a made up family tale.

How come the country periodically whines about their poor beloved sheriff to this day? You'd better go tell them to stop whining because their precious sheriff was never killed.

Sturgis wrote:
The story lost any credibility after Oralloy said the guy was "shot up" and then "ran" into the house and grabbed his shotgun.

Maybe to people who have a complete ignorance of guns. But one of the nice things about reality is, it keeps on existing even if people choose not to believe it.

Sturgis wrote:
Really? Shot up and still able to run? Really?

I wasn't there to measure his exact athletic performance. There could have been some staggering. Regardless of his athletic form, he got back to the house and got his shotgun before the sheriff could reload his revolver.

Sturgis wrote:
Please learn to mix some credibility oralloy, it will help to lend a smidgen of belief to your tall tales.

Please stop excusing your ignorance by falsely suggesting I am not telling the truth.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 11:15 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
That last part that I bolded was significant. You say the cops didn't act "out of malice". How in the hell could you know that?

By looking at the facts of the case.

snood wrote:
And that's my point about you. Without fail in these discussions about cops killing unarmed blacks, you assume the blacks were thugs that must not have been following directions, and you assume the cops were all acting with pure intentions.

No assumptions. I go with what the facts show.

snood wrote:
Why is it so easy to you to envision bad blacks, but not bad cops?

Evidence.

I'm not sure I'd use the term "bad blacks". Certainly the ones who were trying to murder a police officer were bad. But sometimes they merely made some bad decisions that led to the perception that they were a threat.

snood wrote:
Because they wear a uniform? Are they automatically imbued with some kind of superior morality because they have a badge? Some of these police departments have training that lasts 2-3 months or less (compare that to the year or more to train Great Britain cops). Do they all automatically become "good people" once they put on the suit and carry a badge, stick and gun?

Generally people become police officers out of benevolent intentions.
snood

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 12:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Generally people become police officers out of benevolent intentions.

How in the hell would you know the motivations people "generally" have for becoming cops? I can agree that the majority probably have good intentions, but I nor you can't rule out that there are people with bad intentions among cops, just like there are among all people.

Quote:
Evidence.

There's no "evidence" from news reports that tell you the cop's or suspect's intentions and motives. You simply assume that the cops do what they do for good reasons.

I suppose I'll have to be satisfied that at least you can admit that there are instances when the cop should not have fired on a person. You either can't see or admit that you have an implicit bias/blind spot that seems to make you dismiss the possibility that some cops are bad people that do bad things.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 01:09 pm
I once knew a guy who worked very hard to get on the local police force. When finally it started happening, he confided there was a man he had it in for and he told me at different times how he was going after that guy. Fortunately he had a stroke and never actually got to be an officer.
snood

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 01:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
It stands to reason that just as there are corrupt lawyers, teachers, soldiers, bums, candlestick makers, etc. from all walks of life - there are some rotten cops as well. For some odd reason, people like Oralloy can only see good intentions whatever they do.

Your story reminded me of a soldier I met soon after I joined the Army. We were just casually talking and he started bragging to me about a civilian Iraqi he had shot from several hundred meters away - for the sport if it. He was very proud of being a soldier and very glad for the opportunity it provided him to kill people for free. Scared the **** out of me.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 06:49 pm
@snood,
Quote:
It stands to reason that just as there are corrupt lawyers, teachers, soldiers, bums, candlestick makers, etc. from all walks of life - there are some rotten cops as well.

Why are you trying to share logic with all of us illogical people?
snood

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2017 07:18 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
It stands to reason that just as there are corrupt lawyers, teachers, soldiers, bums, candlestick makers, etc. from all walks of life - there are some rotten cops as well.

Why are you trying to share logic with all of us illogical people?

You'll spare yourself and everyone else some confusion if you just speak for yourself, and not "all of us" (whoever the hell that is).