No Justice, No Peace

Delores Paulk

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 06:15 pm
@oralloy,
Very glib remark. Kids who do all of the right things and follow all of the instructions given to them by their parents about what to do when stopped, can still get hurt. I've seen documentaries where the black person was doing everything he was supposed to, posed no threat and still got thrown to the ground and beat. I believe it depends a whole lot on what is in the mind of the officers approaching them.
oralloy

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 08:01 pm
@Delores Paulk,
Delores Paulk wrote:
Very glib remark.

When people complain bitterly about the police in cases where black men take PCP, brutally attack police officers, and get shot in self defense, it is perfectly reasonable to point out that these people are arguing for a right for black men to take PCP and murder police officers.

Delores Paulk wrote:
I've seen documentaries where the black person was doing everything he was supposed to, posed no threat and still got thrown to the ground and beat.

I suspect that the documentaries were lying about the facts of the encounters.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 11:18 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Delores Paulk wrote:
I've seen documentaries where the black person was doing everything he was supposed to, posed no threat and still got thrown to the ground and beat.

I suspect that the documentaries were lying about the facts of the encounters.

I agree with your first part so that is why it is not quoted here.

I disagree vehemently about your second part. I've seen too many instances of black people being abused and even killed by police to not believe there is a certain amount of racism within the police organization. Never the individual, but the mob.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 10:31 pm
@McGentrix,
In both Baltimore and Charlotte, black cops were involved in incidents that led to a black man's death. In Charlotte the cop who shot and killed the black man was himself black. I think it's been proven that the shooting was justified but the initial reaction of a certain segment of the community was to attribute the shooting to racism.

It's a safe bet that there is a certain amount of racism within police forces, since there is a certain amount of racism in the restaurant business, Congress, the military and any other organization or group consisting of human beings.

The question is whether or not racism is the primary motivation of the killing of black men by police...even when the killing is not justified.

Given that black men have been killed by black cops and that white men have been killed by police (apparently more often than black men) it would seem that where the killing isn't justified, the problem is cops who abuse their power because of psychosis, lack of impulse control, or simply because they like to . I can't know for certain of course, but I suspect that a cop who wrongfully kills a black man is not a model of restraint when facing white suspects.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 05:15 am
No justice?

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 27 May, 2017 06:53 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I disagree vehemently about your second part. I've seen too many instances of black people being abused and even killed by police to not believe there is a certain amount of racism within the police organization. Never the individual, but the mob.

What the video shows is a situation where the police feel that someone is enough of a potential threat that they want to have him handcuffed until they can fully learn what is going on. That doesn't that mean he ultimately was arrested. If the police determined that everything was OK, he would have been released. However the video stops before we get to that point.

The audio in the video also shows that he was stopped because a woman reported him to the police, and she had thought it looked like he had broken into the car before driving off in it. This is likely why the police treated him at an escalated threat level.

It is possible that they should have given him more of a chance to submit to handcuffing peacefully before tackling him like that, but that probably would have involved training guns on him until he was handcuffed, and any time a gun is pointed at someone there is always the chance of an unintended shooting. I suspect that some official determined that at this level of possible threat, tackling is preferable to training guns on someone, and the police in that jurisdiction have been trained accordingly.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 06:26 am
@oralloy,
Even if he had actually stolen a car, that is a non-violent crime. When approached by police with emergency lights on, he immediately pulled over to a safe location and had his hands clearly visible and over his head. Police reaction was WAAAAAAAY over the top of what it should have been.

There is no way you can view that video and believe for a second the police were right in the way they handled it.
snood

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 06:41 am
@McGentrix,
No way, you say? Give 'im a minute...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 03:04 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Even if he had actually stolen a car, that is a non-violent crime. When approached by police with emergency lights on, he immediately pulled over to a safe location and had his hands clearly visible and over his head. Police reaction was WAAAAAAAY over the top of what it should have been.

There is no way you can view that video and believe for a second the police were right in the way they handled it.

When the police have a credible reason to believe that they have just caught a professional car thief red-handed, it is reasonable for them to have the suspect handcuffed until they can properly assess the situation.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 03:17 pm
Quote:
A white police officer who fatally shot a 12-year-old black boy in Cleveland, Ohio, in November 2014 has been sacked for lying on his cadet application.
Timothy Loehmann opened fire on Tamir Rice as he played with a pellet gun, sparking widespread protests.
City officials announced Mr Loehmann's sacking and a 10-day suspension for his partner at the scene, Frank Garmback.
The penalties come more than a year after a grand jury declined to indict them in the boy's death.
An investigation found the officers had not violated procedures but also uncovered details which led to Mr Loehmann's dismissal.
He had been allowed to resign from another police department instead of being sacked for being emotionally unstable.
But he did not disclose the full circumstances when applying to join the Cleveland police force.
"Patrol Officer Loehmann had been charged with rule violations concerning his application... specifically answers he had provided on his personal history statement," Cleveland's Director of Public Safety, Michael McGrath, said at a press conference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40098657
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 03:18 pm
@izzythepush,
irony reigns
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 01:11 am
Quote:
NBA superstar LeBron James has talked about the ordeal of suffering racism after the "N-word" was spray painted on to his Los Angeles home.
"No matter how much money you have, no matter how famous you are... being black in America is tough," he said.
The graffiti was reported to police on Wednesday morning and the Cleveland Cavaliers star responded hours later.
LAPD officials confirmed to the BBC the highly offensive nature of the racial epithet.
Officers are reviewing surveillance footage to try to identify the vandal.
James was speaking from San Francisco, where his team is training ahead of Game 1 of the NBA finals.
"Racism will always be a part of the world, a part of America, and hate in America - especially for African-Americans - is living every day," he said.
He added: "We've got a long way to go for us as a society and us as African-Americans until we feel equal in America."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40109935
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 07:14 am
I saw this last night and couldn't get through it. I find it really difficult to deal with the people that think this way.

I've known too many people that are black that have been pulled over for no real reason and Seton Hall did an entire study that shows it is not, in fact, bullshit.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 04:04 pm
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2017 05:14 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I've known too many people that are black that have been pulled over for no real reason and Seton Hall did an entire study that shows it is not, in fact, bullshit.

These are two separate questions:

"Are the police pulling over black drivers for traffic stops without justification?"

"Are the police committing violent abuses towards black people when pulling them over?"
McGentrix

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2017 06:17 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

These are two separate questions:

"Are the police pulling over black drivers for traffic stops without justification?"

"Are the police committing violent abuses towards black people when pulling them over?"

There have been a couple studies done, and this is not all encompassing or indicative of a systemic prejudice, that show minorities do get pulled over at a higher count than population density would demonstrate.

This study from Seton Hall University showed that in Bloomfield, New Jersey,
Quote:
Given the demographics of both Bloomfield and New Jersey generally, the expected representation in the courtroom would have been around 60% white. Strikingly, the observers reported the inverse, plus: instead of 60% white, African-Americans and Latinos accounted for an astounding 78% of court appearances (43% African American, 35% Latino, 20% White, and 2% other) (n=799).

Again, that is for Bloomfield, NJ and does not indicate widespread racism throughout the country. But, it should at least raise an eyebrow. If I had more time, I would post more, but research can be started here if you are actually interested in numbers and such.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 04:41 pm

Innocent cop acquitted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-minnesota-police-idUSKBN1972PS

What is a "voluntary separation agreement"?

If they're not letting him return to his job they'd better be paying him fair compensation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 04:46 pm
Murderer cop acquitted

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-minnesota-police-idUSKBN1972PS
snood

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 05:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yup. This was a tough one. The man's girlfriend witnessed and taped the whole thing - was begging them not to shoot him. It looked like a clear unjustified killing. All the coward cop has to say is the magic words "I feared", and it's open season on black men.
oralloy

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2017 05:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Murderer cop

How would you feel if someone falsely accused YOU of murder? You should be ashamed.
0 Replies