Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 06:47 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:
Can anyone explain forbatim for me?

Sure:
Blatham: Why are you pulling up worms?
Hawkeye: Forbatim.

An intelligent person could look at the context and see that the ESL person meant "verbatim". It's no wonder glitterbag needs it explained.
snood

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 06:54 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:

Sure:

An intelligent person could look at the context and see that the ESL person meant "verbatim". It's no wonder glitterbag needs it explained.

Yeah, all you rightwing guys are just so smart. I mean, look at the fine specimen of intellectual evolution you have representing you for president.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 07:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Pollution <> Climate Change

Just FYI.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 07:09 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:

Sure:

Actually, a lot of people look at that and see a pun. Worms = Bait. For-Bait-'Em.

I always think it's hilarious when someone tries to be condescending and ends up making an ass out of themselves.
snood

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 07:47 am
@DrewDad,
And with McG, making an ass out of himself is so easy because he starts with a finished product.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 08:56 am
I agree with the writer of the following piece below. The more I read of Secretary Clinton, the more I like and admire her rather than less, even these hacked emails which might have even been doctored, reveal her to be a common sense intelligent woman who faces reality and gather facts to make her decisions. The link is below, I'll copy and paste an excerpt, the whole is at the link.

Why the Russian Hacks of Hillary Clinton’s Campaign Should Reassure Us All

Quote:
Here’s how Clinton put it in that 2013 speech, and be prepared, I’m going to quote her at length: “Politics is like sausage being made. It is unsavory, and it always has been that way, but we usually end up where we need to be. But if everybody’s watching … all of the backroom discussions and the deals … then people get a little nervous, to say the least. So, you need both a public and a private position. And finally, I think–I believe in evidence-based decisionmaking. I want to know what the facts are.” Clinton is speaking an essential, uncontroversial truth about how things work in a democracy. And yet, for much of the public–and too much of our media–her sentiments are perceived as shifty, further evidence that she can’t be trusted, as if a willingness to compromise were a sign of weakness, not a necessary strength.

What in the world is wrong with what she said? It makes perfectly logical sense to me.
Blickers

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 09:15 am
@revelette2,
It does make logical sense, of course. But since the entire Republican strategy is character assassination, they pretend that all leaders are supposed to be completely upfront about everything. Remember, half the consevatives wouldn't mind doing away with government entirely and doing everything by referendum, so it's kind of hard to explain to them how things work.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 09:31 am
@revelette2,
Imagine it was George W. Bush saying the same exact thing about the lead up to the Iraq war... Maybe that will help you understand.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 09:46 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Imagine it was George W. Bush saying the same exact thing about the lead up to the Iraq war... Maybe that will help you understand.

Uh, she said "evidence-based decisionmaking" not "decision-based evidence-selecting."
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 09:59 am
@McGentrix,
Exactly what Drew said. The Bush administration cheery picked their evidence for the Iraq war which would lead to their desired outcome rather than gather information and then making a decision based on the information gathered.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 10:05 am
Point of information, Krumple has been here a long time, but it's only now, after her execrable English has been pointed out that she claims to speak English as a foreign language. I call bullshit, she's not foreign, she's thick.

Btw it's EFL over here, the language they're speaking might not be a second language, it could be a third or even a fourth. We use mixed race instead of biracial for the same reason.

We know the differences between sidewalk and pavement, and mail man and post man, but some words come out of nowhere. We hear an American word, know it doesn't sound right then spend the next five minutes trying to remember what it is we say. That was the case with biracial when I first heard it on an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 11:01 am
@ehBeth,
More moving out of the toss-up category at http://www.270towin.com/maps/clinton-trump-electoral-map

__

http://www.270towin.com/news/2016/10/14/lone-star-state-in-play--trump-leads-by-just-4-in-new-poll_396.html#.WAEPExZrjIU

Quote:
Lone Star State in Play? Trump Leads by Just 4 in New Poll

October 14, 2016

SurveyUSA finds a fairly close race in Texas, with Donald Trump having a four point edge on Hillary Clinton. From the pollster: "No Republican has carried Texas by fewer than 13 points since Bob Dole defeated Bill Clinton by 5 points 20 years ago, when Texan Ross Perot siphoned 7% of the vote. Today, Trump leads by 33 points among white Texans, but Clinton leads by 64 points among African Americans and by 23 points among Latinos."

Quote:
Trump still leads by about 6 points in the state polling average, and he has led every poll (aside from a tied online survey) conducted this year. While the state will almost certainly yield a closer result in 2016 than in recent elections, Trump should prevail here barring a Clinton landslide. Texas last voted Democratic for Jimmy Carter in 1976.

The state still rates as leaning Trump in the electoral map based on polls.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 11:03 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Btw it's EFL over here, the language they're speaking might not be a second language, it could be a third or even a fourth.

EFL and EAL (English as another language) are the preferred usages here. ESL is from the 1980/90's
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 11:19 am
@ehBeth,
I've used both EFL (once I caught on to it) and ESL at the same time in tags on A2k; haven't run across EAL, new to me today. I add the ESL now just in case someone doesn't know what EFL means.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 01:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Texas is kinda hinging on the Hispanic turnout.

Whites and blacks turnout is usually in the 60-65% range; Hispanic turnout is usually 50-55%. And the polling reflects this.

If Hispanic turnout is higher than expected....
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 02:03 pm
@ossobucotemp,
It's still ESL in Australian education, although the teachers are often referred to as TEFL facilitators.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 04:56 am
I'm changing my mind back to reasonable voter ID laws. I think we all clearly see the reason behind the rhetoric by the cheating Dems.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/14/the-election-official-who-spoke-his-mind-on-vote-fraud/
maporsche

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 08:15 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I'm changing my mind back to reasonable voter ID laws. I think we all clearly see the reason behind the rhetoric by the cheating Dems.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/14/the-election-official-who-spoke-his-mind-on-vote-fraud/

You change your mind a lot. It's almost like you don't have any true values....
Lash

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2016 08:25 am
@maporsche,
I value the ability of Americans to vote.

I believed voter ID laws were an intentional attempt at preventing fair voting. Now that I hear what democrat insiders divulge about their own party's cheating, I clearly see why they ran the narrative against voter ID laws.

My vote and my donations to the Sanders campaign were negated by cheating Democrats.

Obviously, voter ID laws may help staunch Dem cheating.
0 Replies