Fallen Soldier's Mom Arrested Outside Laura Bush Event!

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:03 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Brandon9000:

Quote:
Furthermore, I believe that you and people who think like you are part of the reason why this war is difficult to fight.

No, Brandon, it is people like me who KNEW this would happen, and are mearly pointing it out to neoconservatives such as yourself who cannot open their eyes to the truth. It is idiots like the Bush administration who so poorly planned this debacle that makes this war difficult to fight.

Many wars have been difficult to fight, e.g. WW2 and the American Revolution.

Now, do you deny that if, during WW2, FDR had had a significant fraction of the population criticizing his every, every, every move, and moaning all the time that we were losing and should never have entered the war, that it might have hindered the war effort? Yes or no.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:05 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
2. I find it fascinating that you are so moved by the death of every soldier, but seem to care not a whit for the collosal number of people who could be killed as a consequence of WMD in Hussein's hands.

that one

I say this because you seem to use the death and suffering in the Iraq war as an argument that it shouldn't have been entered, but never seem to factor in the vastly larger amount of death and suffering that could result from WMD use.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:08 pm
you seem is what you say....you cannot back up your assertion positively with a statement I've made. Admit it please, and then go on about your business assuming anything you like...it's a free country....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:13 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
you seem is what you say....you cannot back up your assertion positively with a statement I've made. Admit it please, and then go on about your business assuming anything you like...it's a free country....

No, I won't. Here is an example, which to me looks like you are saying that the death and suffering are arguments against the invasion, but does not factor in the greater death and suffering that would result from WMD use:

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
All I know is all this discussion certainly conveniently takes the focus off the tragic death of another human...reduce 'em to cannon fodder and it gets easier and easier......except for the mother of course.....

Hence, my prior statement:

Brandon9000 wrote:
2. I find it fascinating that you are so moved by the death of every soldier, but seem to care not a whit for the collosal number of people who could be killed as a consequence of WMD in Hussein's hands.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 05:03 pm
I don't think I've ever witnessed such convoluted and hypocritical argument from a neoconservative. Comparing great wars to our pre-emptive, illegal, and much maligned invasion of Iraq only clouds the waters of reason even more.

Quote:
Now, do you deny that if, during WW2, FDR had had a significant fraction of the population criticizing his every, every, every move, and moaning all the time that we were losing and should never have entered the war, that it might have hindered the war effort? Yes or no.

It's impossible to answer that question, Brandon9000, based on my aforementioned statement. FDR had OVERWHELMING support for the war. There was NO reason to criticize in the first place. And the American industrial machine exploded with the war effort. EVERYBODY pitched in. But maybe you can answer this one:

Were there millions around the world who protested those wars BEFORE they ever even started? Last I remember, the Japanese actually ATTACKED us, and forced us into WWII. On the contrary, we were attacked on 9/11 by mostly Saudi Arabian nationalists. And the Civil War, oh, forget it. It's not even worth it.

If I were you, I'd stop comparing Iraq to past wars. It really does completely belie any rational argument you hope to offer.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 06:29 pm
Comparisons to WW2
The only way to compare Iraq to WW2 would be if FDR had sent only 100,000 troops to N Africa, stopped fighting there after only taking back one country and then sent 1 million troops into Brazil because they might supply raw materials to the German war machine.

Trust me, If FDR had done that the people of this country would have been rioting in the streets. FDR would not have won election if he had more troops fighting Mexico or Brazil than he did fighting Japan and Germany.

Iraq is NOT Al Qaeda. There was little evidence to show that Iraq was a threat. The invasion of Iraq took money and men that could have been better used in Afghanistan fighting the resurgent Taliban and tracking down Bin Laden.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 09:49 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
I don't think I've ever witnessed such convoluted and hypocritical argument from a neoconservative. Comparing great wars to our pre-emptive, illegal, and much maligned invasion of Iraq only clouds the waters of reason even more.

My comparison was confined to one and only one point - that the fact that a war is difficult, or even that it goes badly at times, is not a reason to conclude that it shouldn't have been undertaken. I hear opponents of the war give many reasons why this war shouldn't have been undertaken, but this is indeed one of the reasons I hear given. I hear many statements of how badly the war is going that seem to suggest that this itself shows that it shouldn't have been undertaken. I do not subscribe to the idea that only easy wars should be fought.

Dookiestix wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

It's impossible to answer that question, Brandon9000, based on my aforementioned statement.

It is neither impossible nor even hard. My point had been that trying to turn every administration action into a crime or conspiracy, and a non-stop chorus of moaning that things are going badly, and that the whole war was a mistake has probably made the administration somewhat inhibited, and made the people we are fighting more confident. How could it be otherwise? I didn't ask you whether FDR was criticised, I asked whether criticism of his every move, constant moaning that WW 2 was an unwinnable quagmire, and constant whining that we shouldn't have gotten involved would have made WW 2 more difficult to fight. I would submit that every rational person knows this is true. Therefore, the actions of the liberals have probably reduced the degree of success we have achieved fighting the war.

Dookiestix wrote:
FDR had OVERWHELMING support for the war. There was NO reason to criticize in the first place. And the American industrial machine exploded with the war effort. EVERYBODY pitched in.

Yes, and that probably had a very positive effect on our war performance, just as the behavior of today's liberals is probably having the opposite effect.

Dookiestix wrote:
But maybe you can answer this one:

Were there millions around the world who protested those wars BEFORE they ever even started? Last I remember, the Japanese actually ATTACKED us, and forced us into WWII. On the contrary, we were attacked on 9/11 by mostly Saudi Arabian nationalists. And the Civil War, oh, forget it. It's not even worth it.

First of all, since you declined to make any real effort to answer my question, I am not much inclined to answer yours. Secondly, your question is kind of incoherent.

Dookiestix wrote:
If I were you, I'd stop comparing Iraq to past wars. It really does completely belie any rational argument you hope to offer.

You appear mentally unable to grasp the fact that I was comparing these wars in one and only one respect to make one and only one point, that degree of difficulty does not suggest that a war shouldn't have been embarked on.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 10:03 pm
Re: Comparisons to WW2
parados wrote:
The only way to compare Iraq to WW2 would be...

Wrong. You can compare any two things. You can compare galaxies and goldfish and be either correct or incorrect, depending on the point you are trying to make. I was comparing these wars only to make the specific point that a war's difficulty does not imply that it was wrong to embark upon it at all.

parados wrote:
Iraq is NOT Al Qaeda. There was little evidence to show that Iraq was a threat. The invasion of Iraq took money and men that could have been better used in Afghanistan fighting the resurgent Taliban and tracking down Bin Laden.

Based on what was known at the moment of invasion, Iraq was a threat because the totality of the 12 year attempt to get Hussein to verifiably disarm suggested a real possibility that he had not. WMD in the hands of a monster like Hussein, with ties to terrorism, and a record of attempting to annex his neighbors would have posed a grave threat to the world. The weapons in question are so powerful that one use of one in a population center might kill anywhere from a few thousand to more than a million people depending on the exact scenario. With possible consequences this dire, it would be irresponsible not to be very sure that the threat was neutralized. Allowing Saddam Hussein to develop a significant WMD capacity would probably have had terrible consequences. Although there is some interplay between them, the war on terror and the effort to prevent WMD from falling into certain hands are separate (although often related) considerations. Here in the real world, sometimes you have to work on two difficult problems simultaneously.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:19 am
Brandon wrote

Quote:
I do not subscribe to the idea that only easy wars should be fought.

It was because invading Iraq was seen as a push over that Bush was so keen on doing it. The regular Iraqi army was already on its knees. Bush knew there was practically no chance of Saddam doing anything really nasty because he knew (although he didn't exactly tell us) that Saddam had very little and probably no wmd capability. Moreover the neocons and the likudniks around him were encouraging an invasion telling him it would be easy, that coalition forces would be greeted with flowers.

That it has now become "hard" just proves Saddam right. (Again).

The fact is Brandon this is a neo imperialist war of aggression for the control of a resource rich and strategically important area. What infuriates me is that if you are going to do these things, understand what it is you are getting into. There was a chance that we could have built a better Iraq, and maybe even shown it as a model for some other countries. But I think even I was being naive here. You cant impose freedom and democracy by force from outside. Its something that grows organically from within.

Moreover the way the Americans have gone about it has destroyed any prospect of success. Mark my words, America will scuttle out of Iraq as soon as Bush has an opportunity to save face.

Thats why I say let these two women scientists go and at least save one life.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:22 am
So, on September 10th, 2001, Iraq was an imminent threat to his neighbors? Bush was already actively spreading the warning of the possibility of war in August of that year?

I'm not saying you said that, I'm saying that one would expect in the totality of twelve years, or in this case, eleven and a half years, of Iraq's recalcitrance towards the UN inspectors, they would have already triggered the drumbeats heard after 9-11. Instead, the UN inspectors were doing their job, the Bush Administration was saying then that Saddam was contained and the rest of the world agreed.

What changed? Did Iraq's attitude towards the inspections change after 9-11? No. They were as obstinant with their denials as ever, and now we know their denials were true. Was any new evidence of WMDs presented? Or any new evidence that turned out to be right, that is. We now know that there was nothing bad about those trailers and those drones were proto-types from before the first Gulf War. So what turned the spotlight on Iraq as the number two target instead of, for example, Libya?

Libya, we now know, was importing nuclear weapons technology, via our ally Pakistan, by way of North Korea. Sounds like an axis of evil to me.
But we're okay now because Kaddaffi now says he's gone straight. Whew. That was a close one. But how come we believe Kaddaffi and we didn't, and don't believe, Saddam? Well, for one thing, Richard Perle and his elves don't have an obsessive need to blame Libya for the world's problems. (Though they did harbor Osama bin Laden for a long time.)

How about Syria? There's a harbor for you. Behind an attack or two on it's neighbors, or at least one of them, and guided by a group of Baathists, the same folks who were oppressing the poor people of Iraq. How come we didn't whack them before 9-11 or even after?

I could be wrong, but I think Bush and his lads really believed Chalabi when he said that Saddam would be a pushover and that the Iraqi people would hug us around the neck when we came to save them. So now they are having a little different effect on our necks, but at the time, I think Bush was looking, as he has done his entire life, for the easy way out, a quick and showy victory (Hey, and then we can have like an event where I land a plane on a carrier to claim mission accomplished....) instead of doing the hard diplomatic work necessary to really fight a war on terrorism.

Joe
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 04:28 am
Joe said
Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think Bush and his lads really believed Chalabi when he said that Saddam would be a pushover and that the Iraqi people would hug us around the neck when we came to save them. So now they are having a little different effect on our necks, but at the time, I think Bush was looking, as he has done his entire life, for the easy way out, a quick and showy victory (Hey, and then we can have like an event where I land a plane on a carrier to claim mission accomplished....) instead of doing the hard diplomatic work necessary to really fight a war on terrorism.

Absolutely spot on Joe, no need for the qualifier "I could be wrong...." Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:26 am
Essentially I agree Joe, but the question is: Who's been driving the bus? Cheney? Rice?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:29 am
panzade wrote:
Essentially I agree Joe, but the question is: Who's been driving the bus? Cheney? Rice?

Both, and others of Bush advisors as well, considering he is a CEO who knows the importance of delegation in running a huge and diverse enterprise like the U.S. government.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:33 am
Larry, you're right of course. I'm just wondering if he is truly delegating...I guess I'm a fatalist in that I think he's not capable of juggling that many balls at one time...perhaps the bias comes from his past history.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:37 am
panzade wrote:
Larry, you're right of course. I'm just wondering if he is truly delegating...I guess I'm a fatalist in that I think he's not capable of juggling that many balls at one time...perhaps the bias comes from his past history.

I dunno about that. He juggled the balls at Harken and Texas Rangers pretty well to make himself a handsome profit and to get elected Governor of Texas twice and President at least once :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:41 am
I'll get back to you on Harken and T Rangers.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:47 am
panzade wrote:
I'll get back to you on Harken and T Rangers.

As is the case as President, Bush sought and received some very good advice in achieving personal financial success in those ventures.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:49 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Which law did the US break by invading Iraq? The action was "not in conformity with the Charter, and was therefore illegal"..Kofi Annan.

I agree terrorist groups like al Qaida armed with nuclear materials are probably the gravest threat to western civilisation. The invasion of Iraq has made the situation worse, by diverting resources and allowing terrorist groups from all over to run amok in that country. Just who's side is Bush on? Who gave the Islamists in Afghanistan stingers to use against Russian aircraft?

It was Powell at the UN in Feb or March 03 who was funny, not the terrorist threat.

Which provision of the charter was the invasion not in conformity with?

Your argument about diversion of resources from the war on terror to Iraq is erroneous. Civilization has at least two great dangers facing it - terrorism and the proliferation of WMD to groups that present a grave danger of their actual use. We are unlucky enough to have two very important tasks which must be attempted simultaneously. It would be unrealistic to think that in the real world one always has the luxury of facing only one major danger at a time.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:22 am
Brandon wrote
Quote:
Based on what was known at the moment of invasion, Iraq was a threat because the totality of the 12 year attempt to get Hussein to verifiably disarm suggested a real possibility that he had not. WMD in the hands of a monster like Hussein, with ties to terrorism, and a record of attempting to annex his neighbors would have posed a grave threat to the world.

So.. do you mean based on what was known? or based on the evidence they decided to believe while ignoring everything else?

What was known when US invaded?
1. We didn't know if he had WMD.
IAEA had specifically stated there was no evidence of any nuclear program and that the Niger documents were forgeries.
The UN inspectors had checked the sites the US told them about and found nothing.
The only thing we knew for certain is that Saddam hadn't accounted for chemical and bio agents that we SUSPECTED he had but never could show he actually had. I suggest you go read the UNSCOM reports. The long list of items failed to be accounted for wasn't that long compared to what was found and destroyed and much of that list was unverifiable as to whether Saddam had it originally or not.

2. We didn't know of any real ties to Al Qaeda. Al Zarqui ran a camp in US protected no fly zone area. More Al Qaeda members spent time in Florida then we knew had been to Baghdad.

3.We knew he hadn't invaded a neighbor for 11 years. (The sanctions were working from that standpoint.)

4.We knew he hadn't used any WMD for 15 years. (1988 was when he gassed the Kurds.)

This is not a case of what was known but what was known that they didn't want to believe. You can rewrite history all you want. We KNEW that Saddam wasn't that much of a threat before we went in. The evidence was there if you bothered to look for it.

Quite frankly the largest threat to US from WMD is the Russian arsenal as it is decommissioned. (I seem to recall more than one intelligence assessment saying this.) In the 1990s, there was a program to spend a few billion dollars and buy up all of the uranium from those nukes but that program was cut by the GOP because they felt it wasn't worth the expense. Gee.. A couple of billion to buy the uranium to prevent 1,000 nukes or 200 billion to invade Iraq which might possibly have WMD. Which do you think is a better return on our investment or more likely to prevent a nuke exploding on US soil? The program to purchase Russian uranium is still unfunded today.

Brandon wrote
Quote:
With possible consequences this dire, it would be irresponsible not to be very sure that the threat was neutralized. Allowing Saddam Hussein to develop a significant WMD capacity would probably have had terrible consequences. Although there is some interplay between them, the war on terror and the effort to prevent WMD from falling into certain hands are separate (although often related) considerations. Here in the real world, sometimes you have to work on two difficult problems simultaneously.

Talk about completely igoring the real world. Why don't you come join us in the real word. In the REAL WORLD, Saddam did NOT have the capicity to develop significant WMD. He was under sanctions. There were inspectors in Iraq searching for any evidence of a small capacity let alone the large one you claim he had. What happens in the real world is that you find MORE than just one solution to a problem. Saddam was a problem but he was a controlled problem. In the REAL WORLD, you concentrate on the most important problem if a secondary problem is under control and doesn't really need to be dealt with yet. Saddam was not a priority. He was under control and could be easily dealt with later if he became more of a danger. The real challenge facing you is that you like Bush don't seem capable of problem solving in the REAL WORLD. (I deleted the rest before posting because it was getting too personal. Ah well, I never said I suffered fools gladly.)

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:27 am
Joe Nation wrote:
So, on September 10th, 2001, Iraq was an imminent threat to his neighbors? Bush was already actively spreading the warning of the possibility of war in August of that year?

I'm not saying you said that, I'm saying that one would expect in the totality of twelve years, or in this case, eleven and a half years, of Iraq's recalcitrance towards the UN inspectors, they would have already triggered the drumbeats heard after 9-11. Instead, the UN inspectors were doing their job, the Bush Administration was saying then that Saddam was contained and the rest of the world agreed.

What changed? Did Iraq's attitude towards the inspections change after 9-11? No. They were as obstinant with their denials as ever, and now we know their denials were true. Was any new evidence of WMDs presented? Or any new evidence that turned out to be right, that is.

First of all, we do not know whether or not Bush would have invaded Iraq earlier had he been president during all that time. Iraq did present a grave danger to the world and here is why. During most of history, in order to pose a grave danger to a major power like the US, a country would have to have a strong industrial base and use it to produce many ships and weapons. They would have to send a large armada against the target country, which the that country would have a chance of preparing for as it approached. When the ships arrived, the invaders would have attacked with gunpowder weapons. Today, a terrorist group with a little money might obtain WMD, sneak the components of one or two into a country, and kill...who knows, up to a million people maybe with one use of one weapon. We are in a fundamentally new situation. Even during the Cold War, small unsophisticated entities did not have much realistic probability of acquiring WMD. Now they do, and as time passes and technology advances, smaller and less sophisticated groups will have more chance of constructing or buying one of these weapons. Specifically, the danger that Iraq presented was that it was a country led by a monster, friendly with terrorists, had developed WMD, and had been duplicitous in its implementation of promises to disarm. There was some chance that it had disarmed and some that it had not. Certainly it had demonstrated deceit in its implementation if its disarmament agreement. What had changed? World terrorism was on the rise, as brought home to us by 9/11, raising the specter of a future WMD 9/11, but even had that not been the case, the danger simply had to be eliminated at some point, and diplomacy had not produced verifiable disarmament in a dozen years. Had Iraq retained its WMD and/or WMD development programs, there was always the chance that at some point Hussein might have either used them in our cities and denied involvement, or simply progressed in his development of WMD to the point that he could declare that he would now pursue them openly and use them against any invader who tried to stop him. Time was not on our side, since he might have either used ones he had to strike a crippling blow against us, or progressed far enough in their acquisition that no one would dare attempt to stop him. This is more or less the position that North Korea is in now. Because they have nuclear weapons, they can now openly develop and stockpile more WMD, and no one can coerce them to stop.

Joe Nation wrote:
We now know that there was nothing bad about those trailers and those drones were proto-types from before the first Gulf War. So what turned the spotlight on Iraq as the number two target instead of, for example, Libya?

Libya, we now know, was importing nuclear weapons technology, via our ally Pakistan, by way of North Korea. Sounds like an axis of evil to me.
But we're okay now because Kaddaffi now says he's gone straight. Whew. That was a close one. But how come we believe Kaddaffi and we didn't, and don't believe, Saddam? Well, for one thing, Richard Perle and his elves don't have an obsessive need to blame Libya for the world's problems. (Though they did harbor Osama bin Laden for a long time.)

We don't know much about what happened to Iraq's WMD, when it happened, or why it happened, except that we cannot find them now. We really aren't that sure of our facts. I do not know the specific history of Libya's WMD programs and their state of readiness before they agreed to disarm. If they were the same kind of threat, then they should have been acted against too. We are now rewarding them for verifiably disarming, something Hussein never did. We helped the Mujahideen rebels in Afghanistan years ago, of which OBL was one, resist the Soviet invasion because it was the right thing to do, and was part of our program of resisting communist expansion.

Joe Nation wrote:
How about Syria? There's a harbor for you. Behind an attack or two on it's neighbors, or at least one of them, and guided by a group of Baathists, the same folks who were oppressing the poor people of Iraq. How come we didn't whack them before 9-11 or even after?

Must I explain the obvious? We have not invaded Syria, because there is no clear knowledge that they are attempting to acquire and stockpile WMD. If it turns out that they have some WMD, we will undoubtedly begin trying to induce them to disarm.

Joe Nation wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think Bush and his lads really believed Chalabi when he said that Saddam would be a pushover and that the Iraqi people would hug us around the neck when we came to save them. So now they are having a little different effect on our necks...

Not sure what your point here is, but I wish to express the opinion that wars sometimes need to be fought even if they are difficult.
0 Replies