Fallen Soldier's Mom Arrested Outside Laura Bush Event!

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 11:40 am
No problems bpb

And news just in

British ambassador to Italy Sir Ivor Roberts said at a private meeting (as leaked to Italian newspaper today) that George Bush was the best recruiting seargant for al Qaeda.

That if anyone had reason to celebrate his re election it would be al Qaeda and bin Laden.

Italians took this to mean that British government is not entirely happy with the course of the war in Iraq under W leadership

Sarcasm Cyclo?

I cant believe our American friends would ever be sarcastic about their loyal allies.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 11:47 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Ok Thanks McG understand.

That argument is exactly the one deployed by US and UK for "re starting" a war that never really finished. But I see two problems with this. First you can't just restart a war after a break of 12 years as if hosilities had only finished yesterday. Something has got to change. But nothing had in the case of Iraq.

Bad logic. If a country that surrendered to you in a war has failed to live up to its treaty promises, even though you have given it a dozen years, then you are within your rights to conclude that enough is enough, and enforce the provision.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
The policy of containment was working, it may have been ugly, but nothing had materially changed between Clinton and Bush.

Answer me this if you dare. Supposing that Hussein had not destroyed all of his WMD, or had made new ones, or was close to making new ones, how would we contain him since he would have the option of sneaking one or more WMD into a western country and using it from within? You do understand that one single use of one single WMD could kill from a few thousand to a million or more people, depending on the scenario? Seems to me this is something we should be concerned about.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
The thing that did change was Bush 2's desire to seek vengeance for the humiliation of his father. That doesnt make starting or re starting a war legal.

No, fear of WMD. Had Hussein retained WMD, or been in the process of creating new and more lethal WMD, we might have had a finite time window in which to act. He might have suddenly said, "I have enough WMD now to deter anyone from invading. I will now go ahead with all the WMD development I please, and if anyone tries to invade, they will be on the receiving end of my WMD. More or less what Korea is saying now, since we dropped the ball there and allowed them to develop nukes. Or he might have simply decided to take a nuisance out of the equation and used WMD on New York, Washington, and Los Angeles, then denied responsibility and offered us aid.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Secondly the conditions were UN Chapter 7 conditions, and mandatory. Saddam was probably in breach of them, but that was for the UN to decide, and for the UN to determine what action should follow. It was not for the US to suddenly hijack the process and act unilaterally.

Well, you pay lip service to the idea that any country is foolish to let other countries determine its defense policy, but you keep advocating it. Furthermore, we did act in concert with numerous other countries. Who said that the UN is the legitimate voice of world government? We signed the charter with hopes that it might be, but, the League of Nations turned out to be weak, feeble, and useless, and the UN isn't looking that promising either. Bush appealed to the UN to do the right thing, but finally had to act with the countries that were willing to come along.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
As far as I can determine, the balance of opinion seems to be that the war was illegal because the UN did not specifically authorise the use of force. The British made strenuous efforts to secure the so-called second resolution which would do so, but failed. (Much to the annoyance of Rumsfeld Wolfowitz Cheney etc. who were never that bothered anyway. They probably blame Blair for delaying the start from Oct 2002 to March 2003 and the subsequent quagmire that has developed).

Nations have been conducting wars without permission from the UN (and you are clearly talking about permission) for many thousands of years, and for most of recent history too. Looking for other countries'permission to go to war would foolish in the extreme, and does not have much historical precedent either.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 11:51 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Saddam is out of power supposedly and according to our great and fearless leaders we ARE under imminent danger of attack, especially if we don't reelect bush (according to cheney).

Personally, if I'm going to be in danger of attack no matter what I'd rather be spared the cost of this horsehit war.......

That's like calling WW2 a failure after the first few battles because the Axis is still fighting. Glad you weren't around to lend all this support during WW 2.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:07 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Saddam is out of power supposedly and according to our great and fearless leaders we ARE under imminent danger of attack, especially if we don't reelect bush (according to cheney).

Personally, if I'm going to be in danger of attack no matter what I'd rather be spared the cost of this horsehit war.......

That's like calling WW2 a failure after the first few battles because the Axis is still fighting. Glad you weren't around to lend all this support during WW 2.

me too....
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:13 pm
Quote:
promises

made to and the responsibility of the UN. How many more times?

Quote:
sneaking one or more WMD into a western country and using it from within?

I am very concerned about assymetric warfare and nuclear terrorism. But Saddam was more likely the victim, like us, than the perpetrator.

Quote:
Who said that the UN is the legitimate voice of world government?

no one, its the UN not the WG

Quote:
We signed the charter with hopes that it might be

Laughing now this I have to laugh at. The United States signed the UN charter because it believed the UN would be the World Government?

Quote:
Looking for other countries'permission to go to war would foolish in the extreme

Why? Isn't this the UN mission? What's the UN for if it doesn't give a ruling on who is "out of order" and who's not?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 12:56 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Quote:
promises

made to and the responsibility of the UN. How many more times?

They don't get to tell us whether to go to war or not. How many more times? We have the right to act in our legitimate defense interests, and WMD in the hands of a monster like Hussein would be a menace to the entire world, and especially anyone he doesn't like. We tried to work through them, but ultimately, the stakes were so high that we had to accept our partial success and go with the other countries that were willing to help.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Quote:
sneaking one or more WMD into a western country and using it from within?

I am very concerned about assymetric warfare and nuclear terrorism. But Saddam was more likely the victim, like us, than the perpetrator.

WMD in the hands of someone like Hussein, with ties to terrorism, a propensity to annex his neighbors, a history of using WMD even on civilians, and a level of eithics that led him kill or torture millions of his citizens is not something that the world should allow to happen. We took the portion of the world that was willing to participate and did what had to be done to keep him from achieving that kind of power to kill on a massive scale.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Quote:
Who said that the UN is the legitimate voice of world government?

no one, its the UN not the WG

Then they certainly don't get to supersede our own judgement about our defense.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Quote:
We signed the charter with hopes that it might be

Laughing now this I have to laugh at. The United States signed the UN charter because it believed the UN would be the World Government?

Maybe not literally, but I'm sure that the League of Nations and the UN were intended by some to be steps in this sort of direction. Not essential to my argument, though.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Looking for other countries'permission to go to war would foolish in the extreme

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Why? Isn't this the UN mission? What's the UN for if it doesn't give a ruling on who is "out of order" and who's not?

Didn't you agree to this a few posts ago?

Brandon9000 wrote:
Any nation which forfeits the right to govern its own defense is stupid in the extreme.

Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
True.

The fact that you could even ask this question is mindboggling. When it comes to the defense of our interests and safety, no other county will be as likely to have our interests at heart. Lots of the countries in the UN would love to see us fail or get hurt. See?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:10 pm
They don't get to tell us whether to go to war or not. How many more times? We have the right to act in our legitimate defense interests, and WMD in the hands of a monster like Hussein would be a menace to the entire world, and especially anyone he doesn't like. <-- Brandon

Except, WITHOUT ANY DOUBT, he didn't have any WMD!

Which is what the UN was telling us before the war, which is what our own weapons inspectors told us, which is exactly what we found.

Therefore; your justification is hollow and false. We fought (and are fighting) an illegal and immoral war.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:18 pm
Your exclamation of "WITHOUT ANY DOUBT, he didn't have any WMD!" is erroneous. There are tons of doubt.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:23 pm
No, there isn't any doubt. It's a fact.

Saddam did not have a WMD system, or stockpile, sitting around that was capable of harming any other country. Period.

Don't pull your 'black swan' argument with me. Every piece of intelligence that we have has been unable to turn up these supposed WMD. Our latest conclusion is that 'saddam WANTED to start WMD programs back up' once the heat was taken off of him.

There was no evidence of factories for the production of gas, no nuclear program, no drones capable of deploying weaponry more than 75 miles from Baghdad.

Therefore; he didn't have WMD. There were plenty of people who knew before the war we were going based on a lie. Now they all have been bourne out by our inability to produce evidence for our reasoning.

Our lack of evidence robs our war of moral justification. We were, and are, engaged in an illegal and immoral war, to the detriment of mankind and Freedom as a whole.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:27 pm
He had them, he did not destroy them, where are they?

There is doubt.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:31 pm
McGentrix:

Quote:
Your exclamation of "WITHOUT ANY DOUBT, he didn't have any WMD!" is erroneous. There are tons of doubt.

Then where are they, McGentrix? I'm referring to either the WMD's OR the "tons of doubt." Tons would indicate a rather overwhelming plethora of evidence to the contrary.

Cycloptichorn had it right; not only was the UN telling us that he had no WMDs, and not only were the inspectors telling us the same, but the hundreds of thousands of protestors in America and the millions around the WORLD also knew Saddam's bark was MUCH worse than his bite, and that he had no WMDS, and that we are over there purely for oil. And, as the insurgents continue to disrupt Iraq's oil production in a major way, oil prices are once again going up. Perhaps you can enlighten us as to why both Powell and Rice back in March of 2001 were telling us that Saddam was contained, that there was NO evidence of his expanding weapons program, and that there was no need to start a war in Iraq. Then perhaps you can tell us why both Bush Sr. and Former Admiral Scowcroft were staunchly against a pre-emptive invasion of Iraq.

Tons of doubt? Give me a break...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:36 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
They don't get to tell us whether to go to war or not. How many more times? We have the right to act in our legitimate defense interests, and WMD in the hands of a monster like Hussein would be a menace to the entire world, and especially anyone he doesn't like. <-- Brandon

Except, WITHOUT ANY DOUBT, he didn't have any WMD!

Which is what the UN was telling us before the war, which is what our own weapons inspectors told us, which is exactly what we found.

Therefore; your justification is hollow and false. We fought (and are fighting) an illegal and immoral war.

Cycloptichorn

Let's assume for the sake of argument that Hussein had destroyed, not hidden, his WMD and WMD programs before we invaded. The question isn't what we know now, the question is what we knew then, at the time of invasion. You assert that practically everyone knew he had destroyed them. I assert that many people were very frightened that he still had them, and that there was sufficient probability that did that we couldn't take the risk, considering the unattractive prospect of a world in which Hussein had enough WMD to do more or less what he pleased, and was openly amassing and perfecting more. It would not have been hard for him to invite everyone in and destroy his WMD while the world watched in the first few months after Gulf War One, but he chose not to do that. Did you never see those videos of inspectors demanding to be allowed in some Iraqi facility while a guard refused them entrance for minutes or hours and then mysteriously said, "You can go in now?"
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:41 pm
Quote:
I assert that there was sufficient probability that he had not that we couldn't take the risk, considering the unattractive prospect of a world in which Hussein had enough WMD to do more or less what he pleased and was openly amassing and perfecting more.

Then why aren't we in North Korea right now? Or the Balkan states who cannot confirm that their nukes are safe? Why aren't we invading Iran, which is MUCH closer to development of weapons (nuclear especially) than Saddam could have ever hoped to have been?

Why did both Bush Sr. and Former Admiral Scowcroft staunchly say that they were against a pre-emptive invasion of Iraq? And WHY would BOTH Bush's Secretary of Defense and National Security Advisor tell us back in March of 2001 that Saddam was contained?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:41 pm
I assert that there was a vast amount of doubt as to whether he had the WMD or not.

Our own intelligence agencies conveyed this doubt to the president. The UN inspectors conveyed this doubt. Our own weapons inspectors conveyed this doubt. Bush did not convey this doubt to the American people. Who broke the train of truth here? Could there possibly be OTHER reasons besides WMD that we went to war?

If you do something for a reason, and it turns out that reason is false, what is the right thing to do? Admit that you were wrong. Which is something our governement will never do...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:49 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
I assert that there was sufficient probability that he had not that we couldn't take the risk, considering the unattractive prospect of a world in which Hussein had enough WMD to do more or less what he pleased and was openly amassing and perfecting more.

Then why aren't we in North Korea right now? Or the Balkan states who cannot confirm that their nukes are safe? Why aren't we invading Iran, which is MUCH closer to development of weapons (nuclear especially) than Saddam could have ever hoped to have been?

Why did both Bush Sr. and Former Admiral Scowcroft staunchly say that they were against a pre-emptive invasion of Iraq? And WHY would BOTH Bush's Secretary of Defense and National Security Advisor tell us back in March of 2001 that Saddam was contained?

Why don't we invade North Korea? We can't invade a country that we know is already nuclear, since they could kill a million people in the first hour of the war. I am not specifically familiar with the details of the situation in the Balkan states, and, therefore, cannot comment. Iran? There are factors both for and against invasion. One reason not to invade is that we have not been trying persuasion for a dozen years, as we did with Hussein. Another is that Iran is what I might call a flawed democracy, and we should be much more reluctant to take out even partially democratic governments.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:52 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I assert that there was a vast amount of doubt as to whether he had the WMD or not.

Our own intelligence agencies conveyed this doubt to the president. The UN inspectors conveyed this doubt. Our own weapons inspectors conveyed this doubt. Bush did not convey this doubt to the American people. Who broke the train of truth here? Could there possibly be OTHER reasons besides WMD that we went to war?

If you do something for a reason, and it turns out that reason is false, what is the right thing to do? Admit that you were wrong. Which is something our governement will never do...

Cycloptichorn

We were not wrong. We asserted that there was a significant probability that Hussein still had WMD or WMD programs and that the risk posed was grave enough to justify ending the game with him, and this was precisely correct.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 01:55 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
And WHY would BOTH Bush's Secretary of Defense and National Security Advisor tell us back in March of 2001 that Saddam was contained?

Please tell me how you contain someone who may still have WMD, or may have them again, and having them could smuggle them into your country and kill a huge number of your citizens.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 02:08 pm
Quote:
Please tell me how you contain someone who may still have WMD, or may have them again, and having them could smuggle them into your country and kill a huge number of your citizens.

Don't ask me, Brandon9000, ask Powell and Rice. They're the ones who said it was quite possible back in March of 2001.

Quote:
Another is that Iran is what I might call a flawed democracy, and we should be much more reluctant to take out even partially democratic governments.

So, then, we SHOULDN'T have encouraged Venzuelans to oust their Democratically elected President (Chavez) with a potential coup? Or we SHOULDN'T have allowed Aristide to be exiled from his country, despite the fact that he ALSO was democratically elected?

I'm just looking for some consistency here, because it's increasingly hard to find it with neoconservatives these days...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 02:09 pm
Quote:
We were not wrong. We asserted that there was a significant probability that Hussein still had WMD or WMD programs and that the risk posed was grave enough to justify ending the game with him, and this was precisely correct.

No, we asserted that Saddam HAD WMD. Not a probability. HAD.

There's a big difference in the voter's minds, and that was an important factor in the case for the war.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 20 Sep, 2004 02:14 pm
What is this childishness about "we should attack them! They have WMD's too! Nyah, nyah, nyah?"

Foriegn policy is an adult matter. Please keep the childlike thoughts to yourself.
0 Replies