Fallen Soldier's Mom Arrested Outside Laura Bush Event!

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:47 pm
Speaking of "clueless"...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:47 pm
All I know is all this discussion certainly conveniently takes the focus off the tragic death of another human...reduce 'em to cannon fodder and it gets easier and easier......except for the mother of course.....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:50 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
All I know is all this discussion certainly conveniently takes the focus off the tragic death of another human...reduce 'em to cannon fodder and it gets easier and easier......except for the mother of course.....

1. Are you against all war then, because soldiers die tragically in all wars?
2. I find it fascinating that you are so moved by the death of every soldier, but seem to care not a whit for the collosal number of people who could be killed as a consequence of WMD in Hussein's hands.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 02:53 pm
Which law did the US break by invading Iraq? The action was "not in conformity with the Charter, and was therefore illegal"..Kofi Annan.

I agree terrorist groups like al Qaida armed with nuclear materials are probably the gravest threat to western civilisation. The invasion of Iraq has made the situation worse, by diverting resources and allowing terrorist groups from all over to run amok in that country. Just who's side is Bush on? Who gave the Islamists in Afghanistan stingers to use against Russian aircraft?

It was Powell at the UN in Feb or March 03 who was funny, not the terrorist threat.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Which law did the US break by invading Iraq? The action was "not in conformity with the Charter, and was therefore illegal"..Kofi Annan.

I agree terrorist groups like al Qaida armed with nuclear materials are probably the gravest threat to western civilisation.

I must respectfully disagree, Steve.

The gravest threat to western civilization will never be in the hands of organizations like Al Qaida...while people like George Bush, Dick Cheney, John Ashcroft, and the neo-cons who are part of that gang of thugs.

Those men, Steve, will subvert western civilization in ways an Osama Bin Laden can only dream about.

I know this sounds like hyperbole...but I (once again, respectfully) suggest I am right on the mark with this thesis.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

2. I find it fascinating that you are so moved by the death of every soldier, but seem to care not a whit for the collosal number of people who could be killed as a consequence of WMD in Hussein's hands.

Care to back that statement up with ANYTHING I've EVER said to lead to that conclusion? Otherwise please retract it......
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:07 pm
Quote:

So do thousands of innocent victims.

Quote:

Bet you can't guess how many Iraqis have died at the hands of American conventional WMDs. Now THERE'S an unfortunate consequence.

It's hard to be moved by the death of every soldier when Bush glosses over it constantly. At least Michael Moore had the guts and patriotism to put a face on it in his movie.

It's also no mystery that Bush doesn't talk much about it because Iraq is becoming what we all predicted it would be back before the war:

A quagmire; Bush's Vietnam.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:12 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
This neoconservative naivette on display is stunning. I wonder why Brandon9000 cannot remember what Powell and Rice said back in February 2001, when they BOTH insinuated that the sanctions were WORKING, and that Saddam was effectively CONTAINED.

If they said this, then it was incorrect. In the age of ready access to WMD, no one can be contained.

Dookiestix wrote:
...Which I guess would be grounds for Bush to be not that concerned and go on vacation alot during his first 8 months in office.

I will not debate the validity of Bush's vacation schedule. Are you at all capable of carrying on a single line of argument for a few posts in a row?

Dookiestix wrote:
Let's bomb ANY country that is trying to make weapons of mass destruction and pass them on to terrorists. That would be:

Iran
Syria
North Korea
Chenya
Poorly monitored Balkan states

Then we'd have to bomb Israel for breaking ALOT more U.N. resolutions than Iraq could dream of breaking.

Of course, we should have bombed China back during the Tianamen crisis. They slaughtered their own people, they operate a highly clandestine nuclear program, and are threatening Taiwan with invasion.

Honestly, can't you neoconservatives be consistent about anything and check your hypocrisy at the door?

We should indeed demand WMD disarmament from any country that is trying to give WMD to terrorists. I certainly believe that. If we can get them to stop voluntarily in a plausible amount of time, that's great. Otherwise force should be used as in Iraq. Of course, you would need to have some evidence of a relationship with terrorists, or else some other factor that makes the country seem a grave risk for actual WMD use. The fact that some nuclear power is poorly monitored is certainly not sufficient.

Why would we have to bomb Israel? They do not do not seem likely to give WMD to terrorists who might then use them as part of their terror campaign.

As for China, we could not insist that they eliminate their WMD during the Tienamen crisis, because they were already a nuclear power, and probably also had ungodly amounts of other WMD. Had we tried, the result might well have been a mammoth nuclear/WMD war. China seems to pursue a reasonably risk averse policy with regard to its possession of WMD, and does not seem to be the kind of unstable possessor of WMD that Hussein was. Had Hussein been really allowed to arm to the teeth with WMD, and develop nukes, I believe that the world might have paid an awful price.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:20 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Care to back that statement up with ANYTHING I've EVER said to lead to that conclusion? Otherwise please retract it......

Which statement? Statement 1?

Your post here seems to imply that the fact of these deaths means that the war should not have been fought. If that is what you do mean, then it follows that no war should be fought. Is this not what you were saying?

As far as statement 2 goes, you seem to argue against the invasion or Iraq based on the death and suffering it has caused (incidentally, there was plently of death and suffering in Iraq before), yet I do not recall seeing you ever consider the death and suffering that would have been caused by WMD in Hussein's hands.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:24 pm
that's because i never saw the wmd's in saddams hands...nor did you....nor did bush......i have considered the suffering of those who died in iraq before and after this "war" and find it abhorrent.....shall we deak in what's really happened rathwer than what might have happened?

And again I challenge you to produce a statement by me to back your claim against me.....or retract it.....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:32 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

So do thousands of innocent victims.

Correct. These things both occur in all wars. Are you against all war?

Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

Bet you can't guess how many Iraqis have died at the hands of American conventional WMDs. Now THERE'S an unfortunate consequence.

It's hard to be moved by the death of every soldier when Bush glosses over it constantly. At least Michael Moore had the guts and patriotism to put a face on it in his movie.

It's also no mystery that Bush doesn't talk much about it because Iraq is becoming what we all predicted it would be back before the war:

A quagmire; Bush's Vietnam.

I am not sure what a conventional WMD is. Have we got some conventional weapons that could obliterate a million people or even 50,000 with one single use of one??? Your reference to a quagmire, seems to me to imply that your criterion for fighting wars is that they be easy. If that is not what you mean, then please explain why you are making references to the difficulty of the war. Furthermore, I believe that you and people who think like you are part of the reason why this war is difficult to fight. The constant criticism of every move the administration makes probably has the effect of causing them to take only actions they deem less risky and more politically correct, which tends to reduce effectiveness. Also, this public criticism of the war and constant loud moaning that we are losing probably greatly emboldens and comforts the enemy. I imagine that if a significant fraction of the American people had criticised FDR during WW2 every time he blew his nose, and had constantly moaned about how we were losing and should never have gotten involved to begin with, our efforts in that war would have been less successful.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:36 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
that's because i never saw the wmd's in saddams hands...nor did you....nor did bush......i have considered the suffering of those who died in iraq before and after this "war" and find it abhorrent.....shall we deak in what's really happened rathwer than what might have happened?

And again I challenge you to produce a statement by me to back your claim against me.....or retract it.....

Which SPECIFIC claim, please?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:37 pm

that one
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:38 pm
Brandon9000 opines:

Quote:
If they said this, then it was incorrect. In the age of ready access to WMD, no one can be contained.

With no proven ready access to WMDs (as we've found out already), and the fact that Saddam WAS contained (as most experts agree now in hindsight), it would seem that Powell and Rice were rather correct afterall.

What validity are you talking about? He was AWOL from the Oval Office almost 50% of the time, and he has taken more vacations than any President in memory.

Quote:
The fact that some nuclear power is poorly monitored is certainly not sufficient.

Why?

Quote:
As for China, we could not insist that they eliminate their WMD during the Tienamen crisis, because they were already a nuclear power, and probably also had ungodly amounts of other WMD. Had we tried, the result might well have been a mammoth nuclear/WMD war. China seems to pursue a reasonably risk averse policy with regard to its possession of WMD, and does not seem to be the kind of unstable possessor of WMD that Hussein was. Had Hussein been really allowed to arm to the teeth with WMD, and develop nukes, I believe that the world might have paid an awful price.

But you forget, Brandon9000, that Hussein never threatened the U.S., nor did he attack us. Al Qaeda and operatives from Saudi Arabia did. And pretty much after that, Bush focused squarely on Iraq. It's too bad he took too long to bomb Afghanistan and allow Bin Laden to get away.

And you BETTER worry more about nuclear warheads that could fall in the hands of terrorist networks. Unlike Saddam, who has now been relegated to the allegation that he was developing "WMD like programs," the Balkans have them fully assembled and ready to ship.

So, one must logically ask WHY we invaded Iraq. It would seem that every reason the Bush administration has given us has been shown to be false.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:39 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

I agree terrorist groups like al Qaida armed with nuclear materials are probably the gravest threat to western civilisation.

I must respectfully disagree, Steve.

The gravest threat to western civilization will never be in the hands of organizations like Al Qaida...while people like George Bush, Dick Cheney, John Ashcroft, and the neo-cons who are part of that gang of thugs.

Those men, Steve, will subvert western civilization in ways an Osama Bin Laden can only dream about.

I know this sounds like hyperbole...but I (once again, respectfully) suggest I am right on the mark with this thesis.

And if Al Qaeda someday smuggles a nuke into Washington, DC and obliterates it, or smuggles a bioweapon into the US and kills millions of people all accross the country, you don't see that as much of a threat? Maybe you don't think Al Qaeda would like to do that. Maybe you don't think they will ever succeed. Maybe you don't think they could smuggle it in.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:41 pm
Brandon9000:

Quote:
Furthermore, I believe that you and people who think like you are part of the reason why this war is difficult to fight.

No, Brandon, it is people like me who KNEW this would happen, and are mearly pointing it out to neoconservatives such as yourself who cannot open their eyes to the truth. It is idiots like the Bush administration who so poorly planned this debacle that makes this war difficult to fight.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:43 pm
Brandon9000:

Quote:
And if Al Qaeda someday smuggles a nuke into Washington, DC and obliterates it, or smuggles a bioweapon into the US and kills millions of people all accross the country, you don't see that as much of a threat?

And where would they get those nukes, Brandon9000?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:49 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

The US does not need permission from the UN to deploy armed forces. But if its to continue to be a member of the UN, it must use military force in accordance with the law.

or in Kofi Annan's words directed at Bush today

[quote]"Those who seek to bestow legitimacy must themselves embody it; and those who invoke international law must themselves submit to it."
[/b][/i]
[/quote]

If Steve's standard above for sustained membership were to be uniformly applied the organization would have many fewer members than it does today. It is also noteworthy that he omits his own country from his accusations of "illegality".

The U.S. does not suscribe to the interpretation of international law that Annan is using here. The UN has grown accustomed to issuing resolutions that are never enforced. No surprise that it now cannot see the connection between resolutions it has passed and the legitamate actions member states take to enforce them. The charter does not require that all legal military actions must be taken by soldiers in blue hats.

Kofi Annan's words are apt. However, given the UN's failure to act in many matters ranging from Zimbabwe to the Sudan and the Balkans, and the corruption that reaches to very high levels in the UN Secretariat, he has little to moral right to apply them to anyone outside his skin.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 03:57 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Brandon9000 opines:

Quote:

With no proven ready access to WMDs (as we've found out already), and the fact that Saddam WAS contained (as most experts agree now in hindsight), it would seem that Powell and Rice were rather correct afterall.

Any national leader today does have some real chance of obtaining a WMD or two if he is determined.

And Hussein even had a head start - he had already made WMD, he had the scientists on hand, and even if his programs had been shut down, he would only have to re-start them, not invent everything from scratch.

No, with the realistic chance a determined head of state has of obtaining a few WMD, and then smuggling them into the cities of the nation trying to contain him, containment is no longer reliable.

Dookiestix wrote:
What validity are you talking about? He was AWOL from the Oval Office almost 50% of the time, and he has taken more vacations than any President in memory.

I kind of prefer to discuss one issue at a time, and we were not discussing Bush's vacations.

Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:
The fact that some nuclear power is poorly monitored is certainly not sufficient.

Why?

Because it is not the same as WMD in the hands of someone malicious, and may be fixable by appealing to the nation to take safety measures more seriously.

Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

But you forget, Brandon9000, that Hussein never threatened the U.S., nor did he attack us. Al Qaeda and operatives from Saudi Arabia did. And pretty much after that, Bush focused squarely on Iraq. It's too bad he took too long to bomb Afghanistan and allow Bin Laden to get away.

And you BETTER worry more about nuclear warheads that could fall in the hands of terrorist networks. Unlike Saddam, who has now been relegated to the allegation that he was developing "WMD like programs," the Balkans have them fully assembled and ready to ship.

So, one must logically ask WHY we invaded Iraq. It would seem that every reason the Bush administration has given us has been shown to be false.

We invaded Iraq because we cannot permit WMD in the hands of a demonstrably amoral dictator who has ties to terrorists, and a track record of trying to annex his neighbors. It would be very dangerous to allow someone like that to stockpile WMD and maintain programs to develop more lethal ones. It would realistically raise the spectre of WMD use. No one questions that Hussein had the weapons and the programs, the only open question is when. In my opinion, Bush is actively pursuing Al Qaeda. Sometimes, in the real world, you have to confront two dangers at once. I certainly agree that there are and will continue to be other people in Hussein's category who must be disuaded one way or another from acquiring WMD.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2004 04:01 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Brandon9000:

Quote:
And if Al Qaeda someday smuggles a nuke into Washington, DC and obliterates it, or smuggles a bioweapon into the US and kills millions of people all accross the country, you don't see that as much of a threat?

And where would they get those nukes, Brandon9000?

They might buy them from some country that has them and sympathizes with their cause. They might recruit physicists so that they could do some of the developmengt themselves. Where there's a will, there's a way. It is not impossible that at some point in the coming years Al Qaeda will acquire a few nukes.
0 Replies