I'm 42....he's 17!! it's long. sorry)

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:45 pm
Ok...this is my first time here so go easy on me if I don't quite understand how everything works right away.

The first thing i'd like to get out is that yes...i'm 42 and he is in fact 17, BUT there has been no sex for that very reason. So let's not go there just yet. Hah.

So I'm not going to go into the entire scenario here...just the basic facts. I am in fact in love with this kid. How did it happen? Its difficult to say really. He has been my son's friend for a couple of years now (taboo i know). I noticed him right away when he first started to come over because he was quiet, reserved, respectful...unlike a lot of kids these days. Always willing to help out around the house if I asked. Talked to me about his problems with girls, school, life in general. He spent most of the summer at my house, spending every night there...while his parents never even bothered to call and see how he was. I noticed after a while that he started to come by a lot and hang around even when my son was not there, which wasn't a big deal to me. My son is never gone for long so I always knew when he'd be coming home so I didn't worry too much about it. Anyway...I'm not sure at what point I realized that I didn't feel exactly 'motherly' to him. I thought about him constantly, missed him when he wasn't around, etc etc. Then I realized also that I had quit seeing anyone else. As a single parent for about 3 years I had my share of dates...always with guys younger than me (they were anywhere from 21-35 years old...never older than that). But suddenly I didn't care about seeing anyone but him. Believe me...I tried to stop whatever this was and knew that it was wrong on a few levels. But then I figured if I didn't approach him sexually then it was ok. We have only kissed and I won't touch him otherwise. I might love and care about him but he's not worth going to prison for by any means.

He told me a couple of days ago that he wanted to get married when he is 18. LOL! My jaw just fell to the floor. I told him he may feel that way now...but it's hard to say what could happen in the next year. Now don't get me wrong I know for a fact that even if I were to marry him then, at some point he would realize that he needs to be with someone his own age and have a family. I've obviously done that already. Would it be wrong to spend a few years with him happy and not caring about what people think? Would he actually marry me at the point? Who knows. I'm not sure I want advice or if I just wanted to get that out...but there ya go anyway. lol. Guess I'm ready for the bashing now Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,524 • Replies: 96
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:49 pm
Why don't you wait until he is 18 and then see where things are? While, meanwhile, NOT doing anything to get yourself thrown in prison?
0 Replies

musiclvr

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:50 pm
sozobe wrote:
Why don't you wait until he is 18 and then see where things are? While, meanwhile, NOT doing anything to get yourself thrown in prison?

Good advice...and as I said, he's not worth prison by any means!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:51 pm
(Do you know the statuatory rape laws in your state? If not, you should probably brush up on them. I'm assuming that under 18 is illegal from what you say, in which case this is very clear-cut. Don't.)
0 Replies

musiclvr

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:54 pm
sozobe wrote:
(Do you know the statuatory rape laws in your state? If not, you should probably brush up on them. I'm assuming that under 18 is illegal from what you say, in which case this is very clear-cut. Don't.)

I'm a little bit confused here...did you not read the entire post? I haven't touched him nor will I do so Confused I've kissed him...last time I checked I don't think that was against the laws here in California Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:56 pm
Kissing is touching...?

What I was saying is that my advice would be a little more nuanced if you live in a state where it is legal (the age of consent varies, I think... this has come up before, but I forget details.)

If it's illegal, then no touching -- and REALLY no touching.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:57 pm
What can I say? Given the age difference, it comes down to the simple fact that you have to be the adult here, wherever it goes. In terms of possibly considering a life together, what will happen in say, 30 years, when you are 72, and he is 47? I'm not bashing, just trying to be realistic.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:58 pm
Just move to TX with him. 17 is legal there. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 02:58 pm
Found this for California -- looks like it's 18. Not sure yet what "an act of sexual intercourse" means, though. I don't think it just means missionary position, but not sure how broad the definition is.

http://www.ageofconsent.com/california.htm
0 Replies

musiclvr

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:00 pm
sozobe wrote:
Kissing is touching...?

What I was saying is that my advice would be a little more nuanced if you live in a state where it is legal (the age of consent varies, I think... this has come up before, but I forget details.)

If it's illegal, then no touching -- and REALLY no touching.

Gotcha...guess I should have been more clear about that. Yes I have kissed him and certainly think about doing more than that...but I can honestly say I have never touched him in a sexual way. So I guess I should really check on the legal aspects of kissing then? And I'm being serious here...not a smart ass. lol.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:01 pm
Joahaeyo wrote:
Just move to TX with him. 17 is legal there.

Oh yeah. Moving across a state line is a good idea. Make it a possible federal issue.

He's been spending nights in your house. You've kissed. Looks like you're looking for trouble.

If you care about this young man, tell him to stay away til he's 18.
0 Replies

musiclvr

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:01 pm
Joahaeyo wrote:
Just move to TX with him. 17 is legal there. Laughing

LOL If only life were THAT simple huh?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
musiclvr- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I absolutely agree with Sozobe. But I am curious about one thing. What is it about a 17 year old kid, that you could possibly find him so attractive?
You are a grown woman, and he is still just a child.

I really think that you need to explore (with a professional) why you find this boy so attractive. You mention that you have a tendency to date much younger guys. One instance might be a particular person, that you are attracted to, but dating much younger people on a regular basis sends up a red flag for me.

Does your son know about this boy? Have you told him?

Just in case you have not heard about this, you might want to read:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/psychology/marykay_letourneau/1.html

If I were you, I would drop this relationship immediately, before it gets more out of hand than it is already!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:02 pm
You should look into the laws. To reiterate, you have to be the adult.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:03 pm
I When first saw the title of the thread I thought it's long referred to the reason you were hot for him.....
0 Replies

musiclvr

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:04 pm
cavfancier wrote:
What can I say? Given the age difference, it comes down to the simple fact that you have to be the adult here, wherever it goes. In terms of possibly considering a life together, what will happen in say, 30 years, when you are 72, and he is 47? I'm not bashing, just trying to be realistic.

Honestly even though I have considered marrying him, I am also old enough to know that we would hardly be spending 30 years together. I figure it and when the time comes...I give it a couple of years MAX. But at this point I never planned on getting married again anyway *shrugs*
0 Replies

artboy

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:07 pm
Very Happy Very Happy ..................somewhere out there I just heard that guy from the "Deliverence", twang his banjo!!!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:09 pm
Is that Ned Beatty over there?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:10 pm
Quote:
...I give it a couple of years MAX. But at this point I never planned on getting married again anyway *shrugs*

That certainly appears to me to be a rather cavalier attitude. Do you have any feelings about what harm this affair would do to this kid? Or is he just a plaything that you can keep for awhile, and then discard!
0 Replies

musiclvr

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 03:12 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
musiclvr- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I absolutely agree with Sozobe. But I am curious about one thing. What is it about a 17 year old kid, that you could possibly find him so attractive?
You are a grown woman, and he is still just a child.

I really think that you need to explore (with a professional) why you find this boy so attractive. You mention that you have a tendency to date much younger guys. One instance might be a particular person, that you are attracted to, but dating much younger people on a regular basis sends up a red flag for me.

Does your son know about this boy? Have you told him?

Just in case you have not heard about this, you might want to read:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/psychology/marykay_letourneau/1.html

Believe me...I've heard all about this case. BUT I'm not having sex with the kid in my car while someone drives us around. As far as my son...yes he knows about this. I have spoken to him extensively in fact. How does he feel about it? Well he has mixed emotions about the whole thing. To be perfectly honest...I wasn't the first one to talk to him about it. His friend actually came to him and told him that he was in love with me. My son's response was "Yes I know...it's obvious." My son came to me and we talked about it. He asked me how I felt about this kid and I told him I cared a lot about him. As far as dating younger men...well they are the ones who approach me 90% of the time. I don't look 42 and certainly don't feel it either. I am happier with myself and my sexuality at this point in my life than i have ever been. I know there are many concerns about this issue and that's why I'm here. I have already made an appointment to see a counselor about it as well. We'll see what she has to say about me! lol
0 Replies