Will Donald Trump Be Afraid To Debate Hillary Clinton?

snood

Tue 30 Aug, 2016 04:52 pm
There's always the potential for getting cocky about the debate. If Trump does show up, circumstances could combine to serve his bullying babble...

I mean, look what happened with the Bush v. Gore debates. The conventional knowledge was that Gore was going to crush the bumpkin, and his overconfidence ended up being a problem.
0 Replies

Real Music

Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:32 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I have been thinking about the moderators, and how much potential effect they might have on a debate, if Trump does show up. What I mean is, it will make a big difference if the mods are the type that will press for an answer, and not accept a glib throwaway line, a jab at the opponent, or some other kind of non-answer. I think the tougher the moderator, the better for Clinton. The softer the mod, the better for Trump.

I agree with you completely. A good moderator will not allow the debaters to get away with a non-answer to a question. A good moderator will ask tough follow-up questions. A good moderator will press the debaters to give more than just a feel good slogan for an answer.
Below viewing threshold (view)
snood

Tue 30 Aug, 2016 06:51 pm
@georgeob1,
Yeah, that darn moderator is what lost Romney that debate - certainly not a superior performance by Obama. Couldn't be that.
Oh, wait,,, let's read what was written about that debate at the time:

Romney put in a surprisingly docile performance compared to his previous efforts, in which he hammered Obama over his stewardship of the economy. On Monday, Romney was more inclined to agree with Obama on issues ranging from Afghanistan to Iran, though he was livelier when the debate veered into domestic issues. Obama was far more aggressive, hoping to stem Romney's recent surge in the polls. Who won?

Obama: The president attacked Romney with vigor, hoping to disqualify Romney as a potential commander-in-chief. Obama dinged Romney for flip-flopping, being naive, and engaging in reckless saber-rattling. A CBS snap poll found that 53 percent of viewers thought Obama won, compared with 23 percent for Romney.

http://theweek.com/articles/471158/president-obama-vs-mitt-romney-who-won-final-presidential-debate

But the moderator had a lot to do with that outcome, huh george?

I suppose after Hillary finishes with Trump, you will have some excuses and grudges to hold onto after that, too. Whatever gets you through, man. Whatever gets you through.
ehBeth

Tue 30 Aug, 2016 07:27 pm
@georgeob1,
It seems you're watching a different campaign cycle than the rest of the non-Breitbart world .

Always entertaining to read your take on these things.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 30 Aug, 2016 07:30 pm
If I'm feeling truly malicious, I'd like to see all of the moderators be women.

Mr. Trump seems to decompensate nicely when faced with women with opinions and voices.
snood

Tue 30 Aug, 2016 07:47 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Mr. Trump seems to decompensate nicely when faced with women with opinions and voices.

I LOVE that idea. Maybe we'll get lucky and get at least one strong woman mod.
parados

Tue 30 Aug, 2016 09:22 pm
@McGentrix,
Remind again when Trump spent 8 hours being questioned by Congress.

The idea that Hillary can't stand up to pressure because she hasn't held a press conference is ridiculous. She has been interviewed by several journalists. She has testified to Congress on more than one occasion.
RABEL222

Wed 31 Aug, 2016 12:26 am
@parados,
tRump has to debate Clinton. Its the only chance he has to win.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 31 Aug, 2016 05:26 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'd like to see all of the moderators be women.

IMO the golden age of Presidential Debates happened when they were sponsored by the League of Women Voters. They were a lot less sound bitey and longer on details.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Wed 31 Aug, 2016 05:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
This not being her first rodeo certainly gives her any advantage her being the much, much better candidate misses.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 31 Aug, 2016 04:36 pm
@snood,
You're swinging at issues of your own creation, not any points I made. Why do you feel compelled to do this? Do you feel that threatened by simple disagreement?

I made no claim about who won that debate, Indeed after an excellent performance in the opening debate I believe Romney dropped the ball badly, failing ,in the one in question, to either anticipate that Obama would sharpen his game after this lackluster opener, or to press him on prominent issues, including the Bengazi attack. He lost it on his own,

That said, the incident with the Moderator did really occur and she did intervene at a critical moment cutting off the dialogue on a point about which Obama was indeed vulnerable. We'll never know how things might have turned out had this not occurred. Had Romney been more alert he could have and should have overcome her actions.
georgeob1

Wed 31 Aug, 2016 04:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't think there's any question about Hillary's ability to dodge issues, create the illusion that questions have been answered, or even when necessary to lie with near perfect equnimity. She is also more experienced and likely more disciplined as a presenter than is Trump.

That said, the public is a bit more attuned now to the Clintonian evasions, parsing of words, and similar evasions. Her effectiveness in these areas may be somewhat less than she expects. When surprised, she is occasionaly shrill and didactic, and Trump can be effective in putting his opponents off their stride.

Instead I suspect her vulnerability will lie more in the areas of credibility and empathy. Will her listeners believe her and trust her? Do they believe that more of the same policies will be good for the country?

She is very vulnerable on a number of well-known issues, and has stumbled on a number of occasions when confronted with direct challenges. There's a reason she has so asiduously avoided any open forum press conferences for the past year ( admittedly she has more to lose than to gain from such events, and was probably wise to avoid them).
farmerman

Thu 1 Sep, 2016 02:39 am
@georgeob1,
I dont know why you got thumbed. Its a fuckin opinion thread and you give yours. (Course I dont agree with it). I see Clinton as being so in touch with the realities of government she will merely have to let Trump go off on one of his factless rants and then follow up with a "See?"

I really look forward to the theater of this campaign as it heats up.
Now the Donald, changing his stories like stock picks, even has his handlers denying what he said just few days prior.
I realize his base is made up of white middle and old age, uneducated males. Thise is a powerful bloc . But he now needs to try to recover from his gaffs of 2015 and erly 2016 where he outraged simply everyone.

Yep, high entertainment. (with a scary outcome should he win)

Would you want such a narcissistic psychopathic serial liar as Trump has publically shown us that he is,in charge of a nuclear weapons stockpile?

Hillary larnt the lessons of politics primarily with the handprint of the "Contract on America" days, when she was told to "bake cookies". by Goldwater Republicans.
Ever since then , the GOP has sought to "Find something to tag on her" to no avail. Theyve wasted several gazillion of special prosecutors and committee investigations and what have they really found beside engaging in the "BIG LIE"

I especially proud to announce that my vote will personally cancel your vote (nothing prsonal, I still think youre a cool guy with some marketable skills ). Youre just invested in seeing this psycopath rise to a state of elected office, upon which you all will suddenly say "NOW WHAT??"
Real Music

Fri 2 Sep, 2016 11:25 am
Unfiltered real Donald Trump news, makes really good comedy. All you have to do is just play video of Donald Trump. You don't have to create or write jokes. The jokes write themselves. I am so looking forward to the upcoming presidential debate.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 2 Sep, 2016 01:28 pm
@farmerman,
Can't speak for anyone else but I found the comment disagreeable. So I thumbed him down. I found your comment thoughtful and kind - so I thumbed it up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 2 Sep, 2016 02:03 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

I LOVE that idea. Maybe we'll get lucky and get at least one strong woman mod.

laughing so hard ... the only proposed moderator the conservative sites (that I've looked at) are complaining about is .... a woman

http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/2/2e/93x71px-LL-2ee3a7d8_roflmao.gif
bobsal u1553115

Sat 3 Sep, 2016 05:19 am
@ehBeth,
CPD Announces 2016 Debate Moderators
Source: Commission on Presidential Debates

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Frank J. Fahrenkopf, Jr. and Michael D. McCurry, co-chairs of the non-partisan Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD), today announced the moderators for the 2016 general election presidential and vice presidential debates. The moderators, and the schedule and locations for the debates (as announced on September 23, 2015), are as follows:

First presidential debate:
Lester Holt, Anchor, NBC Nightly News
Monday, September 26, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY

Vice presidential debate:
Elaine Quijano, Anchor, CBSN and Correspondent, CBS News
Tuesday, October 4, Longwood University, Farmville, VA

Second presidential debate (town meeting):
Martha Raddatz, Chief Global Affairs Correspondent and Co-Anchor of "This Week," ABC
Anderson Cooper, Anchor, CNN
Sunday, October 9, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO

Third presidential debate:
Chris Wallace, Anchor, Fox News Sunday
Wednesday, October 19, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV

The CPD also announced that Steve Scully, Senior Executive Producer, White House and Political Editor for C-SPAN Networks, will serve as backup moderator for all the debates.

Read more: http://www.debates.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=63&cntnt01origid=27&cntnt01detailtemplate=newspage&cntnt01returnid=80

Chris Wallace had to be a tRump pick, Martha Raddatz had to be the one tRump doesn't care for.
TheCobbler

Sat 3 Sep, 2016 05:34 am
Donald goes through a box of depends daily over the thought of debating Hillary. Smile
0 Replies

snood

Sat 3 Sep, 2016 05:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I think Lester Holt might prove to be an excellent choice. I've seen him be pretty fearless with his interviews.