How will Trump handle losing the election?

snood

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:51 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote snood:
Quote:
But, but... You've already said that Trump will definitely win and usher in 20 years of Republican presidencies, right? Don't start stuttering now!! I'm hoping to enjoy your triumphant commentary on election night! Buck up!!

I second that emotion. Throughout this election cycle, oralloy has been the inspiring example of faith and belief in a certain set of principles. I disagreed with his principles, but I admired his faith and belief in them. Surely Oralloy is not joining the pack of rats deserting the ship now. I couldn't bear it.

It would be true justification for several days of mourning. Oralloy must continue to bear the Trump Standard and march on!!!!!! Take heart, Oralloy!
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 08:03 am
Well, I hope he and others have some kind of support because the way it looks today, Hillary is going to be President. So much for "October Surprise"

Where Do Clinton And Trump Have The Most Upside?

(I don't know how to code their map it is up above on the source)

Quote:
In November, Donald Trump could become the first Republican presidential nominee to lose Orange County, California, since 1936. He could also be the first to lose Virginia Beach, Virginia, since 1964. But he could simultaneously become the first Republican to win an electoral vote from Maine since 1988 and only the second Republican to carry Iowa since 1984.

Hillary Clinton is favored to win the presidency, perhaps by a lot. Republicans are still favored to hold the House. In other words, after all the madness, the balance of power in Washington post-2016 could look surprisingly similar to that after 2012. Yet beneath the surface, the tectonic plates of the American electorate are shifting.

By now, it's clear where the fault lines lie: The 2016 election is poised to be among the most polarized elections ever, not only along gender and generational lines, but especially along lines of race and educational attainment.

In August, Nate Cohn of The New York Times put it well when he wrote: “The simple way to think about Mr. Trump’s strength is in terms of education among white voters. He hopes to do much better than Mitt Romney did in 2012 among white voters without a degree so that he can make up the margin of Mr. Romney’s four-point defeat and overcome the additional losses he’s likely to absorb among well-educated voters and Hispanic voters.”

There’s evidence that Trump is underperforming Romney among Asians and African-Americans, not just Latinos and college-educated whites. Clinton, on the other hand, has been underperforming President Obama among non-college-educated whites.

To get a handle on how these shifts could affect the electoral landscape, we modeled how many of Romney’s votes came from college-educated whites and minorities and how many of Obama’s votes came from non-college-educated whites in each state, county and congressional district. The difference between these two vote totals, shown in the map above, can tell us where Clinton and Trump have the most potential to build on 2012.

Then we went a step further: How would the 2016 map look if one out of every five whites without a college degree who voted for Obama in 2012 defected to Trump and if one out of every five non-whites and college-educated whites who voted for Romney in 2012 switched to Clinton? (Why one out of five? It’s a somewhat arbitrary number but represents a realistic shift of these groups, according to polls released over the past few months.)

Let's call this scenario the “2016 Vote Swap.” In it, Clinton would win the election, and her share of the two-party vote would be 52.7 percent — 0.7 percentage points higher than Obama’s 2012 showing. However, we also estimate she would win 10 fewer electoral votes than Obama did in the Electoral College.

There is a lot more and this is more in ehbeth's field than mine with all these numbers. Bottom line, Hillary is going to win but it has been an ugly election and at the end of it, I think there will be scars.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 08:17 am
Quote:
Donald Trump's "deeply unsettling and disturbing" views make him a danger internationally, the UN's human rights chief has said.

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Raad al-Hussein cited Mr Trump's comments on the use of torture and his attitude to "vulnerable communities".

Mr Hussein said at a news briefing in Geneva: "If Donald Trump is elected on the basis of what he has said already - and unless that changes - I think it is without any doubt that he would be dangerous from an international point of view."

Mr Hussein said he was "not keen or intent on interfering in any political campaign within any particular country".

But he said that when an election could result in an increase in the use of torture "or the focus on vulnerable communities in a way that suggests that they may well be deprived of their human rights, then I think it is incumbent to say so".

Mr Hussein has spoken out before on Mr Trump's policies, saying in June that "bigotry is not proof of strong leadership", while in September he launched a scathing attack on Western populist politicians, branding them "demagogues and political fantasists".

During the campaign, Mr Trump has said that "torture works" and has promised to bring back "a lot worse than waterboarding".

Waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques previously used by US forces on terror suspects have been banned by the Obama administration.

Mr Trump said of waterboarding in June: "I like it a lot. I don't think it's tough enough."

His comments on migrants, Mexicans in particular, have drawn fire from rights activists.

He has vowed to build a wall along the Mexican border and in June 2015 branded some Mexican migrants "rapists" and "murderers".

Mr Hussein's latest comments are unlikely to change the New York billionaire's harsh criticism of the United Nations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37628345<br />
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 08:40 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

But you know that it won't happen that way. Should Trump lose, he will go on a rant about how "illegals" poured over the border to rig the election. He'll use the platform he has along with the white nationalist press he's gathered to his side (Breitbart and Alies) to continue to spread his lies and whip up his base. Eventually he will fail because he's too caustic (and honestly too stupid) to lead (think Jean-Marie Le Pen in France), but then a more charismatic figure will arise to take over the movement. Since the Republican party counts on this group for a significant portion of their support (and the Democrats are fooling themselves if they think some of their support isn't in this group as well), we will see a split along the lines of what happened to the Democrats in the 40's when the Dixiecrats in the South started to split off.

No, I don't know it won't be just a lot of sturm und drang, and neither do you. It may be harmless rantings, it may be some real destruction. We can only hope for the best from this demented "movement".
Blickers

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 09:12 am
It's a shrinking movement making its last stand. The Republicans started catering to it a bit, while still maintaining it's not really what the party is all about. With Trump, the party pretty much is about that now, or at least is willing to be led by it. But the numbers are against it. In the 60's, America was 89% white European. Now, America is 66% white of European descent, (some 6% of whites come by way of a Hispanic country, so if you add them America is 72% white).

With a third of the country nonwhite, (or white by Hispanic origin, which is quite suspect among white supremacists), nature takes its course and we have all sorts of intermarriages producing people of mixed backgrounds. Nothing is going to stop it.

Add the internet, where people from different parts of the world interact with each other daily on a professional and personal basis, and the whole white supremacist thing is just an idea whose time was over decades ago.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 10:15 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
I second that emotion. Throughout this election cycle, oralloy has been the inspiring example of faith and belief in a certain set of principles. I disagreed with his principles, but I admired his faith and belief in them. Surely Oralloy is not joining the pack of rats deserting the ship now. I couldn't bear it.

I have not changed my position. I posted an update on it back on page 7 of this thread:
http://able2know.org/topic/335784-7#post-6283266

However, I have ALWAYS acknowledged the possibility that I could be wrong.

I am pleased that most of my prediction has already come true (the 2013 gun control debacle wrecked Mr. Obama's second term, led to a 6 year absence of legislative achievements, and caused the voters to have a very strong urge to change who is in the White House). If Hillary manages to win despite this strong preference for change, she will have a choice. She can either comply with the will of the NRA, or she can have a repeat of the 2013 gun control debacle.

The NRA is as strong as ever. If Hillary is elected and wants us to wreck her presidency the same way we wrecked Mr. Obama's, we are able to do that for her. If she chooses another war with the NRA, that means come election day 2020 it'll have been 10 years since the Obama/Hillary regime got anything done. In that case the winds for change we have in 2016 will look like a light breeze compared to 2020. And IF Hillary wins in 2016, it will only be because of Mr. Trump's flaws. Mr. Trump won't be running in 2020 if Hillary wins in 2016.

On the other hand, IF Hillary wins, maybe she will be a lot wiser than Mr. Obama, and she will choose to do what the NRA tells her to do. In that case maybe she will have a successful presidency.

I wouldn't pay attention to snood's babbling about my position. He is fundamentally unable to understand facts, so is unable to represent my position with any accuracy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 11:54 am
@snood,
One thing is obvious; Trump has split the republican party into the Trump party and the Paul Ryan party.
maporsche

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 12:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

One thing is obvious; Trump has split the republican party into the Trump party and the Paul Ryan party.

That can't be good for Trump.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 12:54 pm
@maporsche,
I'm not sure if Trump understands that he has to actually work with the House and Senate. All of these people were sent to Washington by their constituents and they also have a job to do. Their job is to represent the people from their home state, not to be the President's minions. I honestly worry that he really doesn't understand that concept. He can bluster and threaten in the debates or on the campaign trail, but that's not a winning technique if you need the other elected officials to support you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 01:05 pm
@maporsche,
The people of the Republican party, the same ones that elected members of Congress, chose Trump to be the candidate of choice. If they are actually representatives of the people that voted both them and Trump in, they would be wise to heed the will of the people if they wish to keep their jobs.
maporsche

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 01:09 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
The people of the Republican party, the same ones that elected members of Congress, chose Trump to be the candidate of choice. If they are actually representatives of the people that voted both them and Trump in, they would be wise to heed the will of the people if they wish to keep their jobs.

I know you feel that way McG, but you know that only a small percentage of people who claim to be part of the Republican party "chose Trump" to be the candidate in the primary. Just like a small percentage of people chose Clinton.

I fear (for your side, not mine) that there are more pissed off republicans today than there were Trump supporters in the primary.

Maybe we'll see.
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 01:41 pm
@maporsche,
maybe this should be a lesson to us all that to waste our franchise by not voting, can result in candidates like Trump who only represent the folks who showed up on primary day.
farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 01:43 pm
@farmerman,
as far as answering the OP, I actuqlly believe that Donld will have to create an alternative reality that allows him to remain his sociopathic self in public
DrewDad

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 01:45 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

A majority of Republican primary goers selected Trump as the candidate.

A majority of his district's voters elected Ryan.

There is a vast difference.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 02:24 pm
@farmerman,
I must live in another reality, because I find Trump to be unfit to be our president - or anything else in government service.
He said the first thing he's going to do as president is select a prosecutor to have Hillary put into jail. No wonder he likes Putin.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 02:55 pm
@maporsche,
By the 10 million opinion pieces paid for by the very rich in order to confuse the voters. Almost makes me want to advocate doing away with learning to read in school without making sure one can separate the wheat from the chaff. But that leaves the problem of what to do with the worst of the brain washing media. T V.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 02:59 pm
@engineer,
That might not be a bad thing. Too many so called liberals are much to much conservative. Not saying that being too liberal can also be bad.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 03:01 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
but I admired his faith and belief in them.
Shocked Shocked Shocked
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 03:05 pm
@RABEL222,
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/lebron-james-on-donald-trumps-locker-room-talk-defense-thats-trash-talk-200508982.html

LeBron James said of Donald Trump; "locker room talk defense is trash talk."
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 03:09 pm
@RABEL222,
Ok....blinding me from what exactly? What truth am I not seeing because of news articles (I guess...)?

I'm asking you what I'm blinded from, not what is blinding me.
0 Replies