How will Trump handle losing the election?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:02 pm
@maxdancona,
The GOP is already split because of Trump. That Trump supporters are white, authoritarian, and not too bright is the price we pay as Americans. Those same white folks see the writing on the wall; they're becoming the minority in this country, and they are in fear. Their voice will be muffled more and more in the future. That's a scary prospect when they were once the majority.
You can count Trump amongst those in fear.

In this country, the better half will always succeed. I have seen this in my lifetime; the progress has been great only because of the better educated.
chai2

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I don't think we have a good choice during this election.

https://www.facebook.com/ithoughtyoushouldknowit/videos/212688522461817/

I'm writing in Bernie Sanders name.

Then why not just go ahead and vote for Trump?

It's the same thing.

If by some horrible chance Trump did get into office, I would lay the blame largely on people who wrote in someone else, or didn't bother to vote because they don't like Clinton.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:08 pm
@chai2,
No. Trump is a sociopath.

Quote:
so·ci·o·path
ˈsōsēōˌpaTH/Submit
noun
a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

"Go ahead. Beat him up! I'll pay for your legal fees."
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Very revealing stats:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/23/who-supports-donald-trump-take-a-republican-and-make-them-more-wary-of-outsiders/
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:20 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Then why not just go ahead and vote for Trump?

It's the same thing.

I think CI is in California so it wouldn't help Trump at all, all the delegates are going to Hillary regardless of what he does.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:31 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This election isn't about Trump. Trump is a bit player... an opportunist who fell into this strange role.

The real question is about Trump supporters.. they are White, angry, authoritarian and not too bright. And they feel like the country has been taken away from them. The GOP has been playing them for a long time... fitting them into a coalition with evangelical Christians and fiscal conservatives.

I think the GOP is going to have to ditch them. And I think it leaves some very angry people out in the cold.

Trump didn't just eke his way in to the nomination, so I doubt the GOP will do much of anything beyond obligatory lip service as far as distancing themselves from the people that supported him. And assuming that a similar scenario doesn't happen again in four years, they won't even need to
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:33 pm
@snood,
I can't picture a debate as other than a total debacle, basically undoable. He'll get out of it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I doubt it, I expect them to debate several times.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:51 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Hmmm. I'll have to exercise my imagination to visualize it happening, but I suppose he can bring up an adult arguing mode if he wants to.
snood

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:54 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Hmmm. I'll have to exercise my imagination to visualize it happening, but I suppose he can bring up an adult arguing mode if he wants to.

Me too. I guess I just don't have strong enough imagination to conjur up a picture of Trump debating Hillary.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:04 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You don't have to imagine him being good at it in your estimation, just imagine the attacks on him if he doesn't. I don't see him getting away with that.

I imagine Trump thinks he is good at debating, and I don't think he would handle being accused of running away from Hillary well. He'll whine about details and schedules etc but he will debate her. Not doing so would be a greater embarrassment to him than even a bad performance would be.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I don't think Trump worries about many things. That's the reason he never released his tax returns. I think this fits into the same category.
fresco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
More interesting to me as a bemused outsider (UK), is how you guys re-assess your experience of a so-called 'democratic process' which can tend to dangerously promote 'mouth' above 'intellect'. I'm no monarchist, but give me a powerless advisory 'head of state', every time as preferable to the ludicrous personality cultism which appears to surround the US presidency.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:14 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The real question is about Trump supporters.. they are White, angry, authoritarian and not too bright.

Come now, I know liberals have this thing about thinking that anyone who disagrees with their demented ideology are stupid, but it really gets silly.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
This election increasingly looks like Hillary's to lose and there is not as much intrigue into its outcome to me as a result.

From where I'm sitting it looks like Trump is cruising to a guaranteed victory. The 2013 gun control debacle sealed the deal.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 11:03 pm
@snood,
I think he could start, but not finish.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 11:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I get your points one and two or three.

I am beginning to think of all this as theater somewhat magnified.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 11:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

You don't have to imagine him being good at it in your estimation, just imagine the attacks on him if he doesn't. I don't see him getting away with that.

I imagine Trump thinks he is good at debating, and I don't think he would handle being accused of running away from Hillary well. He'll whine about details and schedules etc but he will debate her. Not doing so would be a greater embarrassment to him than even a bad performance would be.

I think you may underestimate the depths of his cowardice.
Lash

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 12:35 am
I doubt seriously Trump would debate. He famously backed out of a debate with Bernie.
Miller

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 07:15 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

... the progress has been great only because of the better educated.

How would you define "better educated"? Better educated to do what?
When we had the draft, and many, many very good men went off to war for the USA , our Constitution and of course all of our "RIGHTS", at the induction event, were these brave men, asked if they were "better educated"?

Progress in the US over the centuries has been possible because of our FREEDOM! And that FREEDOM was earned,not because our brave, young men ( and women) had higher degrees of education , but because they and their families made huge sacrifices ( including the loss of their lives) so that generations of Americans would have the freedom to discuss nonsense like "BETTER EDUCATION:.

I don't care about the EDUCATION of any man or women, willing to sacrifice their lives ( in the military etc) so that all Americans can be free.

When the 1st responders came to the WTC on 9/1/01, were they asked at the door to the Towers, "Are you one of the better educated"? "If not, we won't permit you to enter the building, risk your lives and help save thousands of other"!

Shame on you for equating "better educated" with the grit, bravery and human sacrifice of so many Americans!