How will Trump handle losing the election?

glitterbag

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 06:59 pm
@McGentrix,
The people of the United States elected Barack Obama twice to be President. That didn't seem to mean much to Ol Mitch Mc, so I doubt Trump (If elected) would be able to count on a subservient Congress either. Trump still doesn't understand how this whole elected to office thing works. He seems to think he will become CEO with hire and fire capability. I think I'd be pretty pissed if the President threw my Senators and House members out of Congress. It can't happen, it's all part of the checks and balances and neither Hillary or Donald have the authority to refashion the Constitution to fit their whims. But that's just me.
snood

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:04 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

as far as answering the OP, I actuqlly believe that Donld will have to create an alternative reality that allows him to remain his sociopathic self in public

He won't have to create it, will he? I mean,he already lives there.
Candlelight8

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
How will you handle losing the election?
Candlelight8
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:07 pm
@glitterbag,
Trump harped on Obama's birthplace for five years even when facts were provided that he was born in Hawaii. Trump called it a "fraud."

Why do Trump supporters want this guy as our president? He creates his own facts for years even when it's proven otherwise.

Even his contempt for women hasn't phased his campaign as expected.

Who is the fraud here?
0 Replies

Candlelight8

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert, I meant to say how will you cope with Donald's win?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:09 pm
@Candlelight8,
Donald is behind by 11 points. How is he going to win?
blatham

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:16 pm
@Candlelight8,
Quote:
Robert, I meant to say how will you cope with Donald's win?

I am reluctant to speak for Robert but I have known him for a long while and think I have a good sense or intuition of how he will respond in this case.

I suspect his equanimity will be under grave assault just as it was when John McCain won his election and then again when Mitt Romney wiped the floor with Barack Obama.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 07:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Donald is behind by 11 points. How is he going to win?

He's going to mount a yuuuge comeback - the best comeback - such a comeback you won't even believe it. And Mexico will pay for it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 10:32 pm
@snood,
Quote:
He won't have to create it, will he? I mean,he already lives there
He will be doing this to fool us. He's going to make up some bltz that will go something like:
"This was on of the best scams I ever took part in and to think I almost on, biy RE YOU GUYS STUPID"
glitterbag

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2016 10:57 pm
@farmerman,
Well, it wouldn't be smart to hang around D.C. even if he wants to hold court in the Old Post Office. D.C. aint New York, and the politicians will be busy courting donors, lobbyists and the power brokers from Congress. Nobody is going to have time to fawn all over the Donald, and I doubt he will be the Republicans choice for 2020. Fini
That's if he loses, and I won't be comfortable until all the votes are tallied.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 12:32 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
I won't be comfortable until all the votes are tallied.

Same here.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 01:10 am
@izzythepush,
Right, until all the votes are counted,I'll be on edge. Wish us luck Issy, please.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 01:40 am
@glitterbag,
Threes and sevens to you.
farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:00 am
@izzythepush,
most Candins understood the clinical impossibilities of his "proposals" than did a scary(minority?) mass of Merkins. When we returned home yesterday I was suprised to see all the Trump lawn posters at residences where I always thought the folks were not easily fooled.

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:57 am
@farmerman,
There was an interview with a Trump supporter on the BBC, he was quite reasonable. His point was that in his town various free trade agreements meant all the heavy industry had closed down leaving only menial low paid jobs which meant some were doing 2 or 3 jobs just to keep their heads above water.

The hope was that a political outsider like Trump would change things that the political classes had ignored. In his defence this is something Trump has consistently pointed out. You and I may just think it's electioneering, that Trump doesn't give a monkeys about the working man, but if you're stuck in three dead end jobs with little or no prospects, then why not roll the dice and see what will happen, things can't get much worse anyway.

That's what could get him elected.
blatham

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 06:47 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
if you're stuck in three dead end jobs with little or no prospects, then why not roll the dice and see what will happen, things can't get much worse anyway.

That's a story that's told but there's good reasons to think it's far more false than it is true.

Quote:
As best we can tell from the data available in exit polls, the median household income of a Trump supporter is about $72,000 a year. It's true that this makes Trump voters more downscale than John Kasich voters ($91,000 a year) but it's essentially equal to the median household income of Ted Cruz voters ($73,000 a year) and well above the $61,000-a-year median household income of Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders supporters.

http://bit.ly/2dMVSk9

Take Fox viewers (which I'm assuming a set which pretty closely matches the set of Trump supporters) - their average age is 68 and they are white. I suspect their life history is not much different from mine in that I have never been hungry a day in my life (except for that time we went camping and were so stoned we forgot the food).

izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 07:10 am
@blatham,
Maybe most of his supporters are geriatric xenophobes, but that doesn't mean low paid workers with no prospects aren't going to tip the balance.
revelette2

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 07:24 am
@izzythepush,
You are forgetting minorities of all types have no reason to love Trump. The demographics have been against republicans for a while. Trump has made it worse by his insults. In the end, it depends on turn out for particular groups over who wins.
blatham

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 07:30 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Right, until all the votes are counted,I'll be on edge.

I think we all will be to some extent but not because there's really any chance that he could win against Clinton but rather because if that happened, the consequences would be so dire.

He surprised everyone in the context of the GOP primaries, true. But that's really because we had no properly understood the full or true nature of that particular segment of the electorate (that is, we hadn't appreciated how driven by racism, xenophobia and bigotry they are and how locked into an extremist epistemology they have been). Early on in this election, well before the primaries settled on candidates, a Clinton strategist was asked about Hillary versus Trump. He responded, "I doubt we'll get that lucky". What he was clearly referring to there was how difficult to impossible it would be for Trump to win in the general.

Trump is going to lose and the only question is the magnitude of the defeat.

My concerns, and they aren't small, relate to what happens after the election. As we've seen with GOP office holders and congressional leaders, fear of angering this electorally powerful Trump-supporting base and then being primaried out or booted from high positions in the party, constrains and channels them into positions, statements and acts which are doing them and their party no good at all in anything but the very short term.

The dynamics that direct Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell to be such weasels will likely remain in place. The same goes for the religious right who have bastardized themselves so repugnantly in support of...Donald Trump, for **** sake.

I don't know how this plays out but there's a deep nihilism in place that scares the hell out of me.
blatham

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 07:33 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Maybe most of his supporters are geriatric xenophobes, but that doesn't mean low paid workers with no prospects aren't going to tip the balance.

But this notion would have to be supported by evidence showing that low wage workers are en masse about to vote for Trump/GOP rather than for Clinton. I've never seen such evidence.

Edit: Revelette makes a good point above in speaking of minorities, many of whom are low wage workers of course.
0 Replies