Donald Trump says we may need to "close the internet"

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 12:49 pm
Quote:
Trump mocked anyone who would object that his plan might violate the freedom of speech, saying “these are foolish people, we have a lot of foolish people.”

“We have to go see Bill Gates,” Trump said, to better understand the Internet and then possibly “close it up.”

Trump characterized the problem of Internet extremism by saying, “We’re losing a lot of people because of the Internet.”

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/trump-closing-the-internet-up-in-some-way/?tw=dd

Here is a link to a video of him saying it: https://twitter.com/NotBUFFY_VS/status/674031233945366528

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 12:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
What if we just closed it at night? Would that help?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 01:41 pm
I heard him saying this as I was playing Angry Birds, so I was only half listening. I figured he meant just close down access to the ISIS videos, recruitment pages, twitter accounts, how to commit terrorism wiki page, etc. That's not what he said, but likely how his listeners heard it and what they thought he meant, just as I jumped to that idea since I was only half listening.
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 01:43 pm
@squinney,
I'm sure he meant something of that nature, it's just one of those clueless phrasings that make him look dumb and out of touch with technology. Similar to the "series of tubes" incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_of_tubes
squinney

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 02:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think that's exactly why he has his followers. He uses half phrases, jumping from suggestions that the media is not fair to closing the internet to international travel in less than a minute and leaves it open to interpretation by the individual listener so that it doesn't sound crazy. He throws out kernels for thoughts and lets his listeners finish it based on their own ideology. In the end, I never hear him say anything while others hear him say everything they believe.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 02:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I'm sure he meant something of that nature, it's just one of those clueless phrasings that make him look dumb and out of touch with technology. Similar to the "series of tubes" incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_of_tubes

In my opinion, when at his South Carolina rally the majority of people seemed to respond positively to his statement that that demographic should not be admittted to the U.S., I don't believe it was just based on the concern for terrorism, but also for the concern that their grandchildren and great-grandchildren should remain Christians. I believe many Southerners, being conservative Christians see the goal of the end game, not just the newsmaking violence of today.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 02:23 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think it would be terrific if his supporters took his suggestion for a test drive and left the internet.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 02:50 pm
Don't authoritarian governments essentially "close"the internet to their populations, though?
dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 03:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think it just needs more roundabouts.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 05:20 pm
@squinney,
Well, looky who dropped In. Hi squinney.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 05:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I suppose we could just buy an internet lock from Amazon or ebay. I'll bet we could even get one with a nice timer feature.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 06:13 pm
@Foofie,
Maybe rather than shutting down the internet we should shut down all religion. Might reduce the number of wars fought over bullshyt reasons.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 06:16 pm
@parados,
Dont worry. My internet company has practically shut mine down already. I only have it about 2 hrs a day. The rest of the time I spend with one of their tech people trying to get it up again.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 06:17 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I think it would be terrific if his supporters took his suggestion for a test drive and left the internet.

Sad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 07:06 pm
We may need to close The Donald.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2016 12:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Don't authoritarian governments essentially "close"the internet to their populations, though?

LOL China had been trying for decades and had not had too many successes as the internet is design from it beginning to be able to bypass block areas and reroute.

Other then shutting down all isps in the nation completely and moving back to the 1990s it can not be done.
0 Replies