"Until this moment I think I never really gauged your cruelty"

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 03:23 pm
Donald Trump’s slander of Captain Humayun Khan’s family is horrifying, even for Trump
What kind of person is Donald Trump?

Quote:
The most emotional moment of the Democratic National Convention was the speech by Khizr Khan, the bereaved father of Army Captain Humayun Khan. With his wife Ghazala by his side, Khan recalled his son’s character, his faith, his patriotism — and, ultimately, his courageous death in the service of the country he loved, and the fellow soldiers he was protecting.

On ABC this morning, Trump responded to Khan’s speech. I don’t know what I expected from Trump. Maybe he would show some gentleness. Maybe he would show some empathy. Maybe he would refuse to comment. Maybe he would attack Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama’s foreign policy leadership. All of those responses would have been fine.

Trump’s actual response, though, wasn’t fine.

"If you look at his wife, she was standing there," he said, on national television. "She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say. You tell me."

This wasn’t a slip of the tongue. In an interview with Maureen Dowd, Trump took the same tack. "I’d like to hear his wife say something," he said.

Let’s be very clear about what Trump is doing here: as ABC wrote, he’s suggesting "Khan’s wife didn’t speak because she was forbidden to as a Muslim." This is bullshit. It is flatly, verifiably, false. But that’s almost beside the point.

Trump listened to a speech by the bereaved father of a fallen Muslim soldier and used it to slander the fallen soldier’s family. That was his response. That is his character.

At this point, I honestly don’t know what to say. I don’t have new language for this, I haven’t found another way of saying this isn’t okay, this isn’t kind, this isn’t decent. Instead, I’ll note James Fallows’s response. He quotes Joseph Welch, speaking to Senator Joseph McCarthy in 1954.

"Until this moment," he said, "I think I never really gauged your cruelty."

If you would like to see Ghazala Khan speak, you can do so in this interview she gave to MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell. As Fallows writes, she breaks down sobbing while speaking of her son. It suggests she let her husband give the DNC speech for a simple reason: she remains overwhelmed by grief.

This is the woman Trump decided to slander. This is the gauge of his cruelty.

This isn't partisan. This isn't left vs. right. Mitt Romney never would have said this. John McCain never would have said this. George W. Bush never would have said this. John Kerry never would have said this. This is what I mean when I write that the 2016 election isn't simply Democrat vs. Republican, but normal vs. abnormal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 25 • Views: 22,836 • Replies: 271

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 03:35 pm
I think Trump puts all this in the same category as "swiftboating" where the most outrageous charges actually help you win an election. I think he believes any lie, however big or outrageous is just fodder for the mill.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 03:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think it's just his temperament, not thought out. He is simply incapable of not responding to any perceived insult with insults of his own. Even in cases like this where it does him no favors. I don't think I've ever seen someone so incapable of restraining their desire to lash out at anyone who criticizes them. It's almost comical, he acts like a middle schooler.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 03:53 pm
I think everyone gives him slack he doesn't deserve. I also think he was right when he said he could shoot someone and not loose any voters or people willing to give him excuses for his awfulness.
snood

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:16 pm
@revelette2,
That's what galls me. Everyone can see what a petty, petulant, careless bully he is, but no one tries to hold him to account for anything. I'm talking about ALL of the media. They are all more interested in holding on to their jobs and what ratings he can bring than in pursuing the truth of what this man IS.

When this is all over, I bet there will be a lot of the pundits saying that they asked Trump the hard questions - that they didn't go along to get along. They will all be lying, because they have all let him slide.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 05:54 pm
@snood,
Dunno, I think the media has covered him largely negatively and that it's his supporters, who actually see his bullying as a "refreshing" contrast to "PC" culture, who are to blame. They actually like that he "hits" others and doesn't have a "filter" etc.
snood

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I disagree about the media. I think the media has cowered and shrunk back and not pushed him when he stonewalls. He just interrupts and says "Excuse me!" when they try, and then they stop trying. I think he's gotten away with bullying them horribly. Hell, the first 6 months of his candidacy, they didn't even require him to come to the studio for an interview. He was the only one allowed to literally phone it in several times a week.
thack45

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:33 pm
Personally I think the media would prefer a Trump presidency
snood

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:38 pm
@thack45,
Yeah, our wonderful fourth estate. All about the bottom line now. Do you think Cronkite, Brinkley, Murrow or even Mike Wallace and Morley Safer would kowtow to Trump like this?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:46 pm
@snood,
You can always argue that he deserves rougher treatment by the media but I think they have covered Trump more negatively than any other candidate I have seen. I would prefer to blame the media for his success so far but I think that unfortunately he has had enough like minded citizens in his corner for the media to have made a difference in the outcome.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 06:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The Clinton campaign is fully capable of making Trump pay for his cruelty. The press doesn't need to drive this story. They just need to report it as the campaign happens.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 07:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

You can always argue that he deserves rougher treatment by the media but I think they have covered Trump more negatively than any other candidate I have seen. I would prefer to blame the media for his success so far but I think that unfortunately he has had enough like minded citizens in his corner for the media to have made a difference in the outcome.

We disagree
chai2

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:06 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Yeah, our wonderful fourth estate. All about the bottom line now. Do you think Cronkite, Brinkley, Murrow or even Mike Wallace and Morley Safer would kowtow to Trump like this?

My question is, why are they kowtowing like this?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 08:19 pm
@snood,
Looks that way. No biggie.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:48 pm
Trump is inarticulate slightly immature and only of average intelligence... He is however a genius at manipulating the media. And the media only cares about ratings. As for his supporters now you understand how Fed Up people are with Politics as Usual political correctness and how much they hate Hillary Clinton and will do anything to see that she does not occupy the Oval Office... Are you getting it now?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:51 pm
@giujohn,
As unpopular as Hillary is, I don't think that Americans would choose Hitler over her. Nor do I think they will choose Trump.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:52 pm
@giujohn,
The other problem is that Trump appeals to angry White people and racists. There aren't enough voters to counter the women, African-Americans, Latinos, Muslims and educated people that he turns off.
giujohn

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 09:58 pm
@maxdancona,
You do have a healthy Fantasy Life don't you?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:03 pm
@giujohn,
Oh I do GuiJohn. And this election is fulfilling all of my fantasies.

Trump is setting the conservative movement back 20 years and the result will be progress for the country on issues like race, immigration, healthcare and the Supreme Court.

This election is a fantasy. I am going to fully enjoy it.
Below viewing threshold (view)