Why I Don't Talk About Race With White People

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 05:19 am
@Krumple,
Without a doubt some of the lamest rationalization ever made.

You certainly have been able to ignore history.

So the victims of racism are at fault for their racist racist treatment because they just can't let their historical racist treatment of several centuries go and so racists have no alternative continue the racist treatment. Blacks have forced whites to be racist: its their own damn fault.
giujohn

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 05:30 am
@oralloy,
Unions are not what they used to be. Their effectiveness in recent years have lessened and membership has dropped which then adds to their ineffectualness.

The smart thing nowadays is to have a personal insurance policy to pay for attorney's fees.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 05:34 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Part of the problem is developing around this idea that only whites can be racist. That there is no such thing as racism towards whites. This perpetuates the problem when a black accuses a white of racism who in fact isn't being racist. This drives the nonracism to turn into racism. I've experienced this first hand. I've seen lots of recent cases and the extreme left pushing this idea of all whites are privileged and have no right to discus or talk about race issues. Don't they are this very outlook is nothing other than racist?

You can't solve racism with racism. Telling a white person they are clueless when it comes to racial issues solved nothing and only continues deciding the people. Since you are white pull never understand so go a way is segregation socially.

To have a wound heal you can't keep picking at it. All you do is prolong the process. Some times the best solution is to deal with it on the individual level and not make a huge case out of it. Be strong in your own right and realize there are assigned in the world who are more than just racist.

How true...as I have always said, if blacks can't get past the fact that they are black then don't expect other to do so either.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 05:50 am
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Mf3151a328d9b9d2627e53a7e6368cfdco0%26pid%3D15.1&f=1
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 05:57 am

Here Are the Racist Code Words Trump's Twitter Fans Are Now Using to Avoid Getting Banned

The trolls are defying Twitter's attempts to rid the site of hate speech.
By Brad Reed / Raw Story
October 3, 2016

http://www.alternet.org/files/styles/story_image/public/story_images/pepetrump.png-large.png

Twitter has been trying to clean up its reputation for being a hive of vicious, racist trolls — and now the trolls are fighting back by coming up with new ways to avoid getting banned.

Per the Telegraph, Twitter user Alex Goldman has discovered that racist alt-right Trump fans have created special code words for minorities so they don’t run afoul of Twitter’s anti-harassment policies.

Racist Trump twitter has come up with a new coded way to share racial slurs w/ each other and avoid account suspension. pic.twitter.com/J4AmaHFVCd
— Alex Goldman (@AGoldmund) October 1, 2016

As you can see, the alt-righters now refer to black people as “googles,” Jews as “skypes,” Latinos as “yahoos,” and Asians as “bings.” In tribute to Donald Trump Jr., they also refer to Muslims as “skittles,” which is the candy that the younger Trump compared to Syrian refugees in an infamous meme he posted.

And of course, they also have derogatory nicknames for members of the LGBT community and for any political ideology that does not match up with their own.

So if you’re on Twitter and you see some random person call you a “skype butterfly car salesman,” you should know you’re being attacked with bigoted code words.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 06:03 am
@bobsal u1553115,
That reminds me. Your article features Trump as Pepe.

Quote:
Online cartoon Pepe the Frog has been added to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL)'s database of hate symbols.

Other logos cited as offensive by the ADL include the Swastika and the "Blood Drop Cross" of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK).

The anti-bigotry group said "racists and haters" had "taken a popular internet meme and twisted it".

Pepe has recently been depicted as Adolf Hitler and a member of the white supremacist KKK.

Pepe made his debut in 2005 in artist Matt Furie's "Boy's Club" cartoons. Since then, pictures of the creature have spread through the online communities 4chan, 8chan, and Reddit, where users can post an image for others to comment on.

These are mostly used to express emotions or experiences, but some racist and anti-Semitic versions have spread virally on Facebook and Twitter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37493165
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 06:06 am

Black Lives Matter Co-Founder Alicia Garza on the Global Movement for Black Lives

Garza says even though this powerful movement is growing and evolving, the media still isn't doing enough to understand its members' diversity.
By Karin Kamp / BillMoyers.com
October 3, 2016

Ever since Trayvon Martin’s slaying in 2012 and the subsequent acquittal of his neighborhood-watch killer, George Zimmerman, America has been reawakened to the daily terror faced by black people at the hands of law enforcement, vigilantism, and the justice system.
Photo Credit: Arash Azizzada

As part of our election series focusing on the 2016 political issues that have been underreported by the mainstream media, we asked Alicia Garza, co-founder of Black Lives Matter, to weigh in with her thoughts on issues related to race and racism in America today.

Black Lives Matter started as a hashtag in 2013 in response to the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of African-American teen Trayvon Martin. It has since grown into a global organization with dozens of chapters and other affiliations. In August, the Movement for Black Lives, a collective of 50 racial justice groups and individuals working under the Black Lives Matter umbrella, revealed its in-depth policy platform, “A Vision for Blacks Lives.”

In this email exchange, Garza talks about the challenges facing the movement, Donald Trump’s recent outreach to black voters and how people of all races can best support the goals of Black Lives Matter. But first, she responds to the latest deadly police shootings of black men.

Alicia Garza (Photo by Kristin Little Photography)

Karin Kamp: Can you start by giving us your reaction to the recent police shooting deaths of Terence Crutcher in Tulsa and Keith Lamont Scott in Charlotte?

Alicia Garza: My reaction to the shootings of Terence Crutcher and Keith Scott is one of complete dismay and disgust. My prayers go out to their families and loved ones, who are having to watch the death of their loved one over and over again on multiple news stations. I am also heartened by the response. This Black Lives Matters movement is alive and well, and working together, I believe we can build a world where no other family has to deal with this kind of trauma and violence.

Kamp: The Movement for Black Lives recently unveiled its policy platform. What are you demanding?

Garza: We are demanding an end to the war on black people, in this country and around the world. The platform is centered around ending the seemingly endless onslaught facing black communities globally. The policy platform clearly states what we want — reparations, an end to the war on black people, economic justice, an investment in our futures and a divestment in our destruction, community control and political power.

Kamp: As Black Lives Matter has evolved from hashtag to movement to a full-fledged political advocacy organization, what challenges are you facing?

Garza: I think our challenges now are building and sustaining infrastructure for the long haul. One big challenge is that there are more than 50 organizations and even more individuals and institutions that comprise the Movement for Black Lives, and yet still everything and all of the very powerful and diverse work get “invisibilized” under Black Lives Matter. I’m concerned about that because it signals to me that even though this powerful movement is growing and evolving more than three years after its emergence, the media still isn’t doing enough to understand the diversity of the movement.

Another thing that feels important here is that Black Lives Matter’s evolution is not as simple as hashtag to movement to advocacy. Black Lives Matter evolved from a hashtag to an online social network to an on-the-ground political network that now spans the globe. Again, the simplification of Black Lives Matter is problematic because it demonstrates that there is a lot of work to be done for both the media and the public to understand the facets of this movement. Political advocacy has been present since the beginning. Whether it was the Dream Defenders and Power U taking over the Florida state capitol [and] demanding an end to “stand-your-ground” laws, or leaders from Ferguson meeting with President Obama to demand action on racial and economic justice, that has been happening for quite some time.

The biggest misconception about Black Lives Matter is that BLM is just one entity; Black Lives Matter is an organization and a network. We are a part of the movement, but we are not THE movement. This movement is diverse and flourishing, and there is a lot of important work inside of it that people need to know about. We need the media that is reporting on the work we do to be more careful and nuanced in its descriptions of who we are and what we do.

Kamp: What do you think of Donald Trump’s recent efforts to win over black voters?

Garza: Donald Trump is involved in a lot of stunt work right now to appeal to black voters — but in doing so demonstrates his racism. He consistently refers to black people as “those people,” or otherwise “others” — black people as being different from him and his supporters. All in all, Donald Trump appeals to people who want to be seen the way that Donald Trump sees them. But overall, I would say that Trump has not been and will continue not to be successful in winning over black voters.

Kamp: Some in the Black Lives Matter movement say they will not vote to show dissatisfaction with presidential choices. Do you agree with that decision?

Garza: One of the beautiful things about a movement is that there are many strategies and many tactics contained within it. Not every participant in a movement is required to do exactly the same things. I completely understand why some say they won’t vote because they are dissatisfied with the presidential choices. That’s not the decision that I’m making, but I understand why people feel dissatisfied with the so-called choices in front of us. And, while I understand that position, I see it differently.

I think that building political power has to come from the outside and from within. Meaning, we have to build political alternatives to the existing system, and we have to try to impact what is happening in the existing system. For me, the existing system is not what we ultimately want, nor will it ever substantively meet the needs of black people. Nonparticipation in a system doesn’t automatically mean that it will crumble. Work has to be done to make sure those systems are transformed, or that new systems are built. In the meantime, while we build what we ultimately want to see, millions of our people still participate in the existing system. So our work is to make sure that our people influence and impact what happens — in the system that exists and in the systems we are building as alternatives. So my approach is a both and, not an either or.

Garza: These are much different times than those of the last period of civil rights. That doesn’t mean that we abandon the ideas, the tactics or the strategies of that period. We reject strategies and tactics that left some people behind — women, queer people, trans people and even poor people in some regards. Yet I think many of us embrace and have helped to advance the vision not just from the last period of civil rights, but from the generations of movement building that black people have been at the forefront of.Kamp: Black Lives Matter has been described as “not your grandfather’s civil rights movement,” to distinguish its tactics and its philosophy from those of 1960s-style activism. How is your movement different?

Kamp: In April a Gallup poll found that 35 percent of Americans are worried about race relations in the US, up from 17 percent in 2014. What would you like to see people of other races do to support the movement?

Garza: I would like to see people of other races avidly support this movement by pushing their legislators to take action on the Vision for Black Lives, to actively uproot racism, homophobia and transphobia in their homes, workplaces, schools and places of worship. That would do a lot to help advance this movement.

Karin Kamp is a multimedia journalist and producer. Before joining BillMoyers.com she helped launch The Story Exchange, a site dedicated to women's entrepreneurship. She previously produced for NOW on PBS and WNYC public radio and worked as a reporter for Swiss Radio International.
revelette2

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 06:28 am
Pa. mayor won’t stop posting racist Obama memes, won’t resign
Quote:

Mayor Charles Wasko appears to have two passions, according to his public Facebook posts — antique cars and incendiary political memes.

The mayor’s photos of cars have garnered a few dozen likes and comments.
The memes, on the other hand, have constituents of West York, Pa., calling for his resignation.

One of the memes shows a group of orangutans in a wheelbarrow. It says: “Aww … moving day at the Whitehouse has finally arrived.”
Another depicts a dog covered in a towel, with only its eyes and snout showing. “Guide dog for a Muslim woman,” it says. “It’s call a Barka.”

Probably the most inflammatory one was about President Obama. It shows a picture of actor Clint Eastwood in the film “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” and a noose. “Barry, this rope is for you,” the caption says, referring to a nickname for the first black president. “You wanna bring that empty chair over here!”

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 06:51 am
@revelette2,
He could just be what is needed to register a couple of thousand new registered Democratic voters in West York..
revelette2

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:25 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I am wondering how he got elected mayor in the first place, did he hide that part of himself?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 09:51 am
@revelette2,
Racists got polite for a while. I got fooled. So did a lot voters. He's only felt comfortable spouting his crap since tRump.
giujohn

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 10:57 am
Quote:

Garza: We are demanding an end to the war on black people, in this country and around the world. The platform is centered around ending the seemingly endless onslaught facing black communities globally. The policy platform clearly states what we want — reparations, an end to the war on black people, economic justice, an investment in our futures and a divestment in our destruction, community control and political power

an end to the war...

In 2015 258 Blacks killed by police that year...most were justified. That doesn't sound like a war to me it doesn't even sound like a skirmish. Maybe his argument about a war might hold more credence if he were to use the figures of how many blacks were killed by blacks that year...it's almost 6,000.

Their platform states that they want reparations... Clearly it's about money not about black lives.

Dear Mr. Garza,

Reparations?

Hahahaha hahahaha... it would seem that the black community owes the American taxpayer reparations for the over-representation of the black race in their contribution to crime in the United States and a drain on the criminal justice and welfare system.

7 Statistics You Need To Know About Black-On-Black Crime

AP/Nick Ut
BY: AARON BANDLER JULY 13, 2016

President Barack Obama has no problem making disgusting, untrue assertions about cops being racist at a funeral for murdered cops yet does not give major speeches on the epidemic of black-on-black crime. Here are seven statistics you need to know about black-on-black crime that the president will not address.

1. Data shows that 93 percent of black homicide victims are killed by other blacks.

The left's rebuttal is that that 84 percent of white homicide victims are killed by other whites, but The Wall Street Journal's Jason Riley points out that the white crime rate is "much lower than the black rate."

2. According to Riley, "Blacks commit violent crimes at 7 to 10 times the rate that whites do."

Blacks committed 52 percent of homicides between 1980 and 2008, despite composing just 13 percent of the population. Across the same timeframe, whites committed 45 percent of homicides while composing 77% of the population, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Here are some more statistics from the FBI:

In 2013, the FBI has black criminals carrying out 38 per cent of murders, compared to 31.1 per cent for whites. The offender’s race was “unknown” in 29.1 per cent of cases.

What about violent crime more generally? FBI arrest rates are one way into this. Over the last three years of data – 2011 to 2013 – 38.5 per cent of people arrested for murder, manslaughter, rape, robbery, and aggravated assault were black.

3. Black crime is even more prevalent in the country's largest cities and counties.

Heather Mac Donald writes in her book The War on Cops: How the New Attack on Law and Order Makes Everyone Less Safe that in Chicago, IL, blacks committed 76 percent of all homicides, despite composing 35 percent of the city's population. Blacks also accounted for 78 percent of all juvenile arrests. Whites, who compose 28 percent of the city's population, committed 4 percent of its homicides and 3.5 percent of its juvenile arrests. Hispanics, who compose 30 percent of the city's population, committed 19 percent of its homicides and 18 percent of its juvenile arrests. (Another eye-opening fact from Mac Donald's research is that only 26 percent of murder cases were solved in Chicago.)

Blacks are 10 percent of the population in Los Angeles, CA, but commit 42 percent of its robberies and 34 percent of its felonies. Whites make up 29 percent of the city's population, and commit 5 percent of its robberies and 13 percent of its felonies.

In New York City, blacks committed "75 percent of all shootings, 70 percent of all robberies, and 66 percent of all violent crime," despite only composing 23 percent of the population, said Mac Donald in a Hillsdale speech. Additionally, 2009 Bureau of Justice Statistics numbers show that in 2009, "blacks were charged with 62 percent of robberies, 57 percent of murders and 45 percent of assaults in the 75 biggest counties in the country, despite only comprising roughly 15 percent of the population in these counties."

4. There were almost 6,000 blacks killed by other blacks in 2015.

By contrast, only 258 blacks were killed by police gunfire that year.

5. The percentage of blacks arrested for crimes is consistent with police reports.

This is according to the National Crime Victimization Survey, as well as this 1985 study:

“Even allowing for the existence of discrimination in the criminal justice system, the higher rates of crime among black Americans cannot be denied,” wrote James Q. Wilson and Richard Herrnstein in their classic 1985 study, “Crime and Human Nature.” “Every study of crime using official data shows blacks to be overrepresented among persons arrested, convicted, and imprisoned for street crimes.” This was true decades before the authors put it to paper, and it remains the case decades later.

“The overrepresentation of blacks among arrested persons persists throughout the criminal justice system,” wrote Wilson and Herrnstein. “Though prosecutors and judges may well make discriminatory judgments, such decisions do not account for more than a small fraction of the overrepresentation of blacks in prison.”

This data disproves the notion that racism is what drives higher rates of arrests among the blacks than among whites or broader America.

6. According to Riley, "Black crime rates were lower in the 1940s and 1950s, when black poverty was higher" and "racial discrimination was rampant and legal."

If it's not racism and poverty that are blame for the high black crime rate, then what is?

7. According to Mac Donald, "A straight line can be drawn between family breakdown and youth violence."

As economist Thomas Sowell points out, before the 1960s "most black children were raised in two-parent families." In 2013, over 72 percent of blacks were born out of wedlock. In Cook County –which Chicago belongs to – 79 percent of blacks were born to single mothers in 2003, while only 15 percent of whites were born to single mothers.

"Until that gap closes, the crime gap won't close, either," writes Mac Donald.

AC14747

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 11:15 am
@giujohn,
Very enlightening. Of course the bigoted liberals here will no doubt label you a racist for posting the facts. When they cannot discount the facts that's the only thing they're left with.

Oh by the way I'm supposed to be you... And I'm honored.
giujohn

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 11:22 am
@AC14747,
As you should be!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 06:12 pm
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.M8baf3d27f0ea03e0d40a1ab0bfb82546o0%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

Especially ones that don't source their dreary and long word salads.
wmwcjr

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 06:50 pm
@giujohn,
This bears repeating.

Quote:
6. According to Riley, "Black crime rates were lower in the 1940s and 1950s, when black poverty was higher" and "racial discrimination was rampant and legal."

If it's not racism and poverty that are blame for the high black crime rate, then what is?

7. According to Mac Donald, "A straight line can be drawn between family breakdown and youth violence."

As economist Thomas Sowell points out, before the 1960s "most black children were raised in two-parent families." In 2013, over 72 percent of blacks were born out of wedlock. In Cook County –which Chicago belongs to – 79 percent of blacks were born to single mothers in 2003, while only 15 percent of whites were born to single mothers.

"Until that gap closes, the crime gap won't close, either," writes Mac Donald.

A child needs a mother and a father.

I continue to be a strong supporter of civil rights laws, but they do not address the breakdown of the family.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 06:55 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Yeah. I think it is a flowering of racists going on.

I'm hoping they don't seed.
0 Replies

momoends

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:17 pm
@wmwcjr,
"breakdown of the family"?!!! -- nonsense
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 08:25 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Seriously? Do you even think about these things?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2016 10:53 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.M8baf3d27f0ea03e0d40a1ab0bfb82546o0%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

Are you referring to your own or some else?
0 Replies