More Miss Haversham than Mississippi Grind
?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
everything you've ever posted
Okay Izzy, probably so, but in what way or ways exactly so that I may improve myself

...with many thanks for your interest in my head
giujohn

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 01:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy... I changed the quote you should be proud of me for being progressive.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 01:39 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
No offense Bob but what describeer where

The sentence above.

These'n's ".... Black, white, Asian, male, female, straight, gay, recovering homelessness and substance abuse, young, old, handicapped. Christian, Moslem ...."

Quote:
...best to avoid , no matter how innocent, because they'll be misinterpreted

Maybe. Context? The rest of the sentiment? Maybe a paragrapgh?
engineer

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 01:43 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
What I Told My White Friend
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 01:54 pm
@engineer,
Seriously, that's some good stuff that could support a thread on its own. Thanks!
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 02:23 pm
@engineer,
The problem with Lori's story is that she's not documenting racism she's documenting prejudice. Racism is systemic and institutional, there's very little if any of that left in America today. However Prejudice does still exist. Prejudice is perception. What is the perception of the average 15 - 34 year old black male in the United States? The perception follows the statistic that shows that the majority of violent crime including murder in this country is perpetrated by black males 15 - 34, and that the street trade of drugs is controlled by the same population. What is the the black community doing to change the paradigm?
When Martin Luther King was fighting for the civil rights of black people in this country in the fifties and sixties the majority of violent crime was not perpetrated by black males 15-34 nor did they control the street trade of illegal drugs... what changed? I suspect I know. But more importantly I know that the black community did not keep their eyes on the prize. Is that the fault of the white community?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 02:38 pm
@dalehileman,
One big thing you could do is stop contributing to the grammar threads. Your answers are invariably wrong and confusing. In many ways far worse than no answer at all. Leave it to people like Contrex who actually know what they're talking about.

You could stop using your own abbreviations/shorthand particularly with foreign students.

And while we're on the subject of lifestyle, I must say I find your habit of drinking beer in a hot tub quite disturbing, if not abhorrent. However, I can't think of a single good reason, outside of my own narrow prejudices, to tell you to stop doing it. So you can carry on with that, but don't think you've got my blessing.

That exact enough for ya?
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 02:41 pm
@engineer,
That was a good link, I get her while I am not her, but my niece is and I've either been there with her (you should see the looks we got on walks in whiteville, northern california, especially since we occaisonally walked arm in arm, or if not arm and arm, clearly pals happy to talk at last. As you all know I'm of advanced age; she is a grownup now, but back then, a kid. This was in a sort of liberal area.

I have one question though - in Los Angeles, there is/was a superior school, Harvard.
Did the writer live in L.A.?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 02:46 pm
@giujohn,
That's absolute nonsense, racism and prejudice aren't two separate things, they're the same thing. It's a sliding scale, some racist people are more/less racist than other racist people.

It's the same thing, same reasons, same bullshit.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 02:55 pm
@giujohn,
"Prejudice" based on race is "Racism".
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 03:05 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
O.K.; you may also be explaining why I do not talk about the Holocaust with Gentiles. However, I would not want to talk about the Holocaust with Gentiles, since they too believe that their ways are the "norm" and the Jews' ways are too different to be part of their reality. Very good. That's why Jews needed Israel after the Holocaust. Too many lost their taste, so to speak, to live in a Gentile culture. In other words, one has to assimilate into the domianant culture or live in one's own culture; otherwise, one might be confusing oneself, and one's children to have two identities. Society might just a zero sum game, if one is a realist? The only other choice might be to accept that there are dominant groups in any society, and one should find a niche to survive comfortably. Trying to make whites, or in my case Gentiles, feel guilty for injustices is really a waste of time, in my opinion. Realism is just the answer. And learning the art of contentment, without having to have others think positively of one's group, if one's self-esteem is healthy.

By the way, the two-thousand year sojourn of Jews in Europe, as pariahs, was a good training ground for learning how it is not such a bad idea to learn how to act deferent with authority.
giujohn

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 03:20 pm
Oh...well if we are going to assign our own individual meanings to words that have defined accepted definitions I guess you might as well be speaking Klingon.
Oh and by the way Izzy, being more or less racist is like being slightly pregnant.
giujohn

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 03:24 pm
@Foofie,
A well-reasoned argument... Thank you.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 03:56 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
stop contributing to the grammar threads....invariably wrong and confusing
But in the past 17 years I've got several compliments

Quote:
stop using your own abbreviations/shorthand
All herewith advised, no need to read my postings, I won't be the least offended

Quote:
drinking beer in a hot tub quite disturbing....However, I can't think of a single good reason.... So you can carry on with that
Why thank you Izzy
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 04:01 pm
@giujohn,
Just because they're words and you put them together doesn't mean they make sense.

Quote:
The problem with Lori's story is that she's not documenting racism she's documenting prejudiced.

Seriously. Have bubba explain what "difference without distinction" means. You can't be racist and not prejudiced.

Quote:
acism is systemic and institutional, there's very little if any of that left in America today.

Seriously. Says who? The parents of all those black kids shot down like dogs by cops? Or only you and the Stormfront?

Quote:
Prejudice is perception. What is the perception of the average 15 - 34 year old black male in the United States? T

Racism is prejudice, predujudice is perception, perception is racism.

Racism is the problem.

But I do understand where you got the argument:

Quote:
What is the perception of the average 15 - 34 year old black male in the United States? The perception follows the statistic that shows that the majority of violent crime including murder in this country is perpetrated by black males 15 - 34, and that the street trade of drugs is controlled by the same population. What is the the black community doing to change the paradigm?

Even if that big ball of your pure opinion were true, what about the cop MURDERING law abinding black men almost daily? Or the disproportion of black prisoners? Why is that OK with you.

You need to watch this and then get back to me:

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 04:08 pm
@giujohn,
Slightly pregnant? You like in the early days when it's still touch and go?

People who feel uncomfortable around people from other cultures are a little bit racist. Cue the song and dance number.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 04:11 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
No offense Bob but what describeer where

Quote:
The sentence above.
Again no offense Bob but which sentence above what

Again Bob forgive my deficiencies but what were "Thes'n's" (male, female, straight, gay, recovering, etc) an example of

Quote:
Maybe a paragrapgh?
Will keep eyes open for one. Hope however I remember your q
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 04:14 pm
@dalehileman,
So you're not interested in self improvement at all. You're going to continue with your misleading, confusing, and plain wrong posts on the grammar threads, thus making a mockery of the name Able2Know.

Just because people have complimented you doesn't mean they've not been lead up the garden path, it means that the true horror of their situation has not yet dawned upon them..