The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 05:02 am
@snood,
I’ve not seen him in that much to be honest.

And the role in Tenet wasn’t particularly demanding.

Maybe he just needs a good bit of casting.

The character his dad plays in The Equaliser films is a bit of a Mary Sue, and he’d only had roles like that we wouldn’t be calling him the great actor that he is.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 05:03 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

For Queen and Country is very good too.

Washington is one of the few American actors who can do a convincing London accent.

Talking of Washingtons, I saw Tenet yesterday, overly complex sci fi with holes in it.

Time travel is key, but when they go back they’re inverted meaning they go backwards and need their own oxygen supply.

And then towards the end one character goes back and pretends to be her old self, no backwards talking or oxygen supply, none of that.

One of the things I have trouble understanding is how actors from the UK are able to do such convincing American accents...yet almost no American accents can do a British or Australian accent worth a ****.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 05:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
It’s all down to familiarity. American programmes are on the telly over here all the time, American accents are commonplace.

That’s not the same in America. If half the programmes on your television were made in the UK your actors would be just as good at our accents.

Apparently Ray Winston’s Russian accent in the new Black Widow movie is pretty dire too.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 05:08 am
@izzythepush,
‘Bit of a Mary Sue’
I love it.

I can usually tell what you’re saying in context, even when I'm not familiar with the phrase or term.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 06:30 am
@snood,
It’s from a 1970s piece of Star Trek fan fiction.

It was a tongue in cheek piss take about a character called Mary Sue who all the other characters immediately fell in love with, and who solved all their problems and saved the day.

Now it’s a term for any character too powerful and clever to be true.

It can work with villains because you want them to be tough to give the hero a challenge, but Hannibal Lector is a step too far.

He was alright in the films, but the TV series with Mads Mikkelsen was something else. He was one of the central characters and was just too good to be true, he is a psychiatrist, surgeon, musician, artist, gourmet cook, the list goes on and on.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 08:30 am
@snood,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 08:33 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
And then towards the end one character goes back and pretends to be her old self, no backwards talking or oxygen supply, none of that.

Once she was back to the right time, she reverted to going forward in time again and no longer needed the oxygen supply.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 08:44 am
@oralloy,
Like I said, too complicated.

It’s not an art house picture it’s a piece of light weight fluff.

You don’t improve that by adding complications.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 08:45 am
@oralloy,
If she was in the right time, how come there were two of her?
oralloy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 09:13 am
@izzythepush,
She went back in time with them in the shipping container, and then reverted to going forward in time during the incident at the airport.

The other one of her was her earlier self.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 09:22 am
@oralloy,
I couldn’t be bothered to find out, it’s not the sort of film I would watch a second time to get my head around it.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 06:17 pm
Watched the 1961 film The Children’s Hour with Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine.

It is about a troublemaking young girl lying to her grandmother that her two female private school teachers are lovers, which is a serious accusation in the 1960s. It is incredibly depressing to see their lives get ruined throughout the entire film.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 09:05 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I watched that film about 18 - 24 months ago...... I will not watch it again. I understand it was groundbreaking at the time, the performances were superb but just thinking about out again makes me very depressed.
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:13 am
@glitterbag,
The BEAR MAZE on Netflix, it has Bruce the Bigass Bigass Grizzly brown as a killer bar whose able to hide behind trees and spring and et you.
Its a terror adventure with some Gary Larson notes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 08:35 am
Captain America: Civil War - 3D

Getting ready to go see Black Widow 3D later this week.
farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 09:15 am
@oralloy,
Capn Mrka on the North or the South??
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 02:26 pm
I just watched Memoirs of a Geisha. I liked it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 05:44 pm
Journey’s End portrays a WW1 battle I knew nothing about that quite aptly underlined the futility of war. Paul Bettany was heart-piercing per usual. Sam Claflin and Asa Butterfield did better jobs than average.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 05:49 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Capn Mrka on the North or the South??

Not that civil war. This refers to a comic book event where two groups of "traditionally good" superheroes had a falling out with each other.
Lash

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2021 06:18 pm
Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime was grossly over-hyped, relied on Chris Pratt’s facial expressions and CG affects in alien battles. The story was flimsy and the pay-off, expected and not worth your attention.
0 Replies