The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2021 07:41 am
@edgarblythe,
At one point, I bought a number of the "Great Courses". Problem was, my husband never wanted to watch them. After a hospitalization, he is in a rehab facility. So now I have no excuse not to watch the courses!
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2021 08:08 am
@Phoenix32890,
Some of the new ones are documentaries - all given me for Fathers Day. Procrastinating so far.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2021 10:15 am
Just watched Dragnet, filmed when Jason Alexander played Frank Smith, Joe's partner. Pleasantly surprised to see Richard Boone in the cast. It was a bit long for the subject and too wordy, but I enjoyed it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2021 02:28 pm
So, after nearly a year and a half in my bunker, I've just poked my head out and taken a look at the world.

I saw my shadow. That means we're in for six more years of winter.

Anyway: Fast and Furious 9.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 09:45 am
Philadelphia is on Roku. I just finished watching. Powerful story with a perfect cast. It brings back the days when people seemed more terrified of aids than they now are of this pandemic. When the president made jokes because gays were dying. When a woman close to me suggested they "just kill 'em." Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington - great actors.
Albuquerque

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 09:50 am
@edgarblythe,
My wife just finished rewatching Philadelphia yesterday...I took a vague look at it as I was busy elsewhere (I watched the movie already long ago) and from the few scenes I reviewed I still think the film is overly dramatic.
I am well aware given the culture at the time it was necessary to make it as a didactic educational movie but still I think the quality of the movie suffers from it. I rather have had an anti hero at the centre or just a common human being although I am sure that wouldn't have sold as many tickets as they wanted to.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 09:58 am
@Albuquerque,
I don't have the patience to sit all the way through many new (for me) movies. This one kept me riveted and irritated that they inserted commercials.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 11:09 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Philadelphia is on Roku. I just finished watching. Powerful story with a perfect cast. It brings back the days when people seemed more terrified of aids than they now are of this pandemic. When the president made jokes because gays were dying. When a woman close to me suggested they "just kill 'em." Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington - great actors.

I KNEW you’d like it!😀
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 11:13 am
@snood,
You were correct. I started Fences, but had to break away. Will likely start it from the beginning later.
snood

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 12:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
I’ve seen Fences. I won’t spoil it for you, but maybe we can talk about if you liked it after you see it.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 01:00 pm
@snood,
I saw enough to be impressed with Denzel.
snood

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 04:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think I’ve seen just about everything he’s ever been in.

Three of my favorites - and I highly recommend them all:
Devil in a Blue Dress
Crimson Tide
Flight
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 05:02 pm
@snood,
I first noticed Denzel on a TV series about doctors when he was getting started. They didn't let him do very much at all. St Elsewhere.
snood

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 05:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Have you ever seen ‘Glory’? He won an Oscar for best supporting actor in that movie.
I’ve probably seen it ten times.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 05:40 pm
@snood,
Yes. I have it on DVD.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2021 08:01 pm
I did like Fences. The dynamics between father and son stirred memories of my own childhood. The rest of cast was very good, too, particularly the mother. Viola Davis and the man playing Gabriel.
snood

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 03:59 am
@edgarblythe,
I think I was just thrown off by how it ended.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 04:27 am
@snood,
For Queen and Country is very good too.

Washington is one of the few American actors who can do a convincing London accent.

Talking of Washingtons, I saw Tenet yesterday, overly complex sci fi with holes in it.

Time travel is key, but when they go back they’re inverted meaning they go backwards and need their own oxygen supply.

And then towards the end one character goes back and pretends to be her old self, no backwards talking or oxygen supply, none of that.
snood

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 04:42 am
@izzythepush,
Just my opinion, but I think that John David is far from being a chip off the old block - acting wise.
I’ve seen three things with him in a starring role- each time trying to keep an open mind. He seems to me to be a one-dimensional, not very good actor, bottom line.
I know everyone doesn’t share that opinion.

Builder

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2021 04:53 am
Matrix Reloaded. Production was a little lame, but generally speaking, this sequel was the equal of the first try.

And like the matrix itself, had several glaring glitches.

I'd go a 7 out of 10 for watchability.
0 Replies