49

The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

2  
Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 11:57 am
@chai2,
Back to (and I'm sure thankfully) the topic.

I rewatched "Doubt" last night.

The performance of Steep in that puts me back in third grade every time, especially in the beginning.

There was a priest there, that thinking back today, could have raised doubt with me, if it were today.

Great film.

snood

2  
Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 04:20 pm
Just went to see ‘1917’. Pretty intense war movie that shows WWI trench warfare in an up-close-and-personal fashion. It follows two British soldiers sent on a harrowing mission behind enemy lines. GoT fans will recognize the actors who played King Tommen Lannister and Rob Stark (Dean-Charles Chapman and Richard Madden). I liked it, although it wasn’t exactly what I expected. It focused almost exclusively on the two soldiers, where I was thinking it would be a little broader.

<edit>
I realized after reading what I wrote that it looked like I was saying Chapman and Madden were the two main soldier characters, but only Chapman was. The other is played by someone I haven’t seen before named George MacKay.

1  
Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 04:29 pm
@snood,
saw "Lighthouse" Im reserving my own thoughts till others see it and say things.
snood

1  
Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 04:54 pm
Dang mebbe I should not have shot off my mouth b4 others see my movie.

Well, at least no serious spoilers.

1  
Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 06:06 pm
@snood,
naaah, dont worry. I want to see whether Im just blowin smoke or are my views valid?

1  
Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 03:50 am
@snood,
Apparently it was based on a story the director's grandfather told him about his experiences of WW1, so one of the leads will be based on his grandfather.
snood

1  
Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 07:35 am
Yes the closing credits referred to that

1  
Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 07:44 am
@snood,
I'm just going on a news report I read. I only see films at the cinema if my youngest is interested.

He won't want to see that, so I'll have to wait until it comes on the telly.

1  
Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 07:06 pm
farmerman wrote:

I'm glad I'm a ghost who hasn't mentioned seeing The Lighthouse several times already (and months ago). Rolling Eyes

Willem Dafoe was royally snubbed by this year's Oscars. Gave one of the most memorable performances from 2019.

1  
Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 09:52 pm
I will go back no more than 1 page. Sorry,
SO you liked it h?

1  
Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2020 07:08 am
Very much so. It barely missed my top 10 favorite films from 2019. It's bat sh!t crazy. It's stunning to look at (and well deserves the cinematography nomination though it ain't taking the win from Roger Deakin's 1917).

The acting was jaw droppingly stunning. Willem Dafoe needed to be nominated this year but was robbed. It made me finally respect Robert Pattinson as an actor for the first time ever.

I get why some people would balk on how over the top freaky the story is and it's not a horror movie ... closer to horror movie adjacent. But to me? It works very well. Even the seagull gave an Oscar worthy performance.

I'm guessing you didn't remember I posted this in the actual Lighthouse thread where you posted a response afterwards?
InfraBlue

1  
Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2020 11:06 am
tsarstepan wrote:

Even the seagull gave an Oscar worthy performance.

Whoa!

Lash

1  
Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 03:13 pm
The Outsider with Ben Mendelssohn and Jason Bateman. Story by Stephen King. HBOGO