The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

chai2

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 11:57 am
@chai2,
Back to (and I'm sure thankfully) the topic.

I rewatched "Doubt" last night.

The performance of Steep in that puts me back in third grade every time, especially in the beginning.

There was a priest there, that thinking back today, could have raised doubt with me, if it were today.

Great film.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 04:20 pm
Just went to see ‘1917’. Pretty intense war movie that shows WWI trench warfare in an up-close-and-personal fashion. It follows two British soldiers sent on a harrowing mission behind enemy lines. GoT fans will recognize the actors who played King Tommen Lannister and Rob Stark (Dean-Charles Chapman and Richard Madden). I liked it, although it wasn’t exactly what I expected. It focused almost exclusively on the two soldiers, where I was thinking it would be a little broader.

<edit>
I realized after reading what I wrote that it looked like I was saying Chapman and Madden were the two main soldier characters, but only Chapman was. The other is played by someone I haven’t seen before named George MacKay.
farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 04:29 pm
@snood,
saw "Lighthouse" Im reserving my own thoughts till others see it and say things.
snood

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 04:54 pm
@farmerman,
Dang mebbe I should not have shot off my mouth b4 others see my movie.

Well, at least no serious spoilers.
farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 06:06 pm
@snood,
naaah, dont worry. I want to see whether Im just blowin smoke or are my views valid?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 03:50 am
@snood,
Apparently it was based on a story the director's grandfather told him about his experiences of WW1, so one of the leads will be based on his grandfather.
snood

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 07:35 am
@izzythepush,
Yes the closing credits referred to that
izzythepush

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 07:44 am
@snood,
I'm just going on a news report I read. I only see films at the cinema if my youngest is interested.

He won't want to see that, so I'll have to wait until it comes on the telly.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 07:06 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

saw "Lighthouse" Im reserving my own thoughts till others see it and say things.

I'm glad I'm a ghost who hasn't mentioned seeing The Lighthouse several times already (and months ago). Rolling Eyes

Willem Dafoe was royally snubbed by this year's Oscars. Gave one of the most memorable performances from 2019.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 09:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
I will go back no more than 1 page. Sorry,
SO you liked it h?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2020 07:08 am
@farmerman,
Very much so. It barely missed my top 10 favorite films from 2019. It's bat sh!t crazy. It's stunning to look at (and well deserves the cinematography nomination though it ain't taking the win from Roger Deakin's 1917).

The acting was jaw droppingly stunning. Willem Dafoe needed to be nominated this year but was robbed. It made me finally respect Robert Pattinson as an actor for the first time ever.

I get why some people would balk on how over the top freaky the story is and it's not a horror movie ... closer to horror movie adjacent. But to me? It works very well. Even the seagull gave an Oscar worthy performance.

I'm guessing you didn't remember I posted this in the actual Lighthouse thread where you posted a response afterwards?
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2020 11:06 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Even the seagull gave an Oscar worthy performance.

Whoa!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2020 03:13 pm
The Outsider with Ben Mendelssohn and Jason Bateman. Story by Stephen King. HBOGO
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 11:16 pm
@Lash,
Four out of the five Oscar nominated short live-action films can be found on YouTube.
Une soeur (2018), 8/10;
Nefta Football Club (2018), 8/10;
The Neighbors' Window (2019), 9/10.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 11:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
Three of the five Oscar nominated short documentaries can be found streaming online.

In the Absence: Streaming on Vimeo AKA free. 10/10.
Life Overtakes Me: Streaming on Netflix. 9/10.
Walk Run Cha-Cha: Streaming on Vimeo AKA free.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 12:00 am
Maybe someone wants to start another thread about TV and cable series’.
Movies are movies.
Short films, documentaries, subtitled films, musicals, mysteries, dramas, action movies, westerns, comedies, dark comedies, romance comedies, melodramas, biographical, based on true stories, etc., etc.,etc....
These are all types of movies.
Makes no sense to mix TV series’ in.

chai2

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 01:39 pm
@snood,
I dunno.

It's not bothering me.

It's all visual entertainment on a screen.
To be honest, when I'm watching something good, I'm not catagorizing it as "movie, series, etc."
I never thought of a documentary as a type of movie. If I had to be pressed, I'd just call it a show.

Is it really bothering you that much that someone talks about a really great series, that we have to split it up?
There's actors, plots, scenery, music etc. All the same stuff.

I like the feeling that everyone is gathered together under the interest of watching something good.

I mean, if people started talking about books, that might be weird. But it might not be. A "series" can be any of those things you mentioned. It's like a movie that has installment.

Maybe no one wants to start another thread. Would that be ok if we all kinda didn't want to?

Or, you could.

Not being sarcastic. But if you want something more strictly defined, go ahead and make it happen.

For me, life's way too short to worry about this.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 03:41 pm
Just saw Just Mercy with Jamie Foxx and Michael B. Jordan. It’s a true story about a lawyer seeking justice for someone unlawfully put on death row. Pretty powerful. It’s one of those movies I really get from nto, but can only watch once because it’s kind of wrenching. Twelve years a Slave and Harriet were two like that. If you want to get the flavor of the movie, there’s a 15 minute Ed Bradley 60 Minutes YouTube piece about it.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 06:52 pm
@snood,
For a moment there I was sure you were wrong about the youtube video since Ed Bradley has been gone for several years. Then my fingers got to tapping and I located the 1992 gem:

snood

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2020 06:55 pm
@Sturgis,
It’s a powerful story.