The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2020 10:38 am
@eurocelticyankee,
Admittedly, this is my guilty pleasure. So off-the-wall but I find myself watching 2 episodes at a shot.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2020 10:40 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Janet is my personal favorite.

In a recent episode, Janet is wearing a wedding dress, saying that they’re accepting gift and that she’s “registered at ME.”
glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 12:14 am
@Ragman,
I'm a late comer to that show, but the writers are gifted in delightfully daffy dialogue. I'll need to catch up on Demand.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 04:23 pm
PSA

Do not bother to watch the remake of Jacobs Ladder.

I was all set to be spooked based on the original being so creepy.

Nothing but some cheap special effects and a revamp of the story that is sofa king dumb.
farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 07:43 pm
@chai2,
Netflix has a new "Super duper updated" version of Dracula. The story is gonna be a series or a miniseries. van Helsing is a lady cop or some anti supernatural Force member who has seen Count Dracula trvel through time into modern day London. Special effects get an A- because they are well thought out and SERVE the story, (they dont become the story like so much adolescent Sci Fi).

Renfield is not eating flies, he has become a commensal host within whom, flies swim around in his cornea and beneath his skin. (very cool)

Thats only two of the opening hours.Im not certain that its worth anything yet but I will give it a chance. It took me several episodes to get hooked on DEXTER. Only SOPRANOS and WALTER WHITE got me at the opening episodes. Hell, even SEINFELD took almost half a season.

SOO, LEEEZEN TOO DEM ,SHHILDRRREN OFF DE NIIIIGGHHTT. FOT MOOSEEC DEY MAAGE.
chai2

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 10:28 pm
@farmerman,
Oh! I've got that in my list.
We'll share notes later.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 01:48 am
@farmerman,
The BBC Dracula by Mark Gatiss was very well reviewed I have it recorded.
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 03:12 am
@izzythepush,
The reason many of these BBC dramas work so well is that they mine the reality of Britains " Class" system. We are pretty much ignorant of that system and we must create myths about the rich, or celebrities, or politicians.

Had we not kicked that system out of the US, e too could hve a ready made source of characters and their flaws.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 04:25 am
@farmerman,
You've got a class system over there alright, with mega rich living in gated communities cut off from the rest.
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 05:25 am
@izzythepush,
nothin like you. Our rich folks usually earned it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 05:56 am
@farmerman,
Like Donald Trump? Most of your rich people inherited it, just like ours. The only difference is some of ours have a title but yours pay hardly any tax.

If anything the division between rich and poor is far worse over there with your awful healthcare system.

The class system is alive and well in America.
Lash

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 06:27 am
@izzythepush,
It’s undeniable. I think the titles and the House of Lords makes it seem more pronounced in Britain, but I do think it’s actually more effective against the poor here, precisely because of the element you cited and a few more like it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 06:35 am
@Lash,
There's also perception. You mention the House of Lords, but only a few hereditary peers now sit in the Lords. Tony Blair introduced changes that meant hereditary peers had to vote on which of them could remain. The majority are life peers, their title goes when they die, and they are made up of ex politicians, and other public figures.

John Prescott is a lord but still very working class.

Downton Abbey is not a fly on the wall documentary, it's a historical drama, and that world ended long ago.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2020 01:58 pm
I really hate when people stare bullshit as fact

https://www.chrishogan360.com/investing/how-many-millionaires-actually-inherited-their-wealth

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/rainerzitelmann/2019/06/24/amazing-facts-that-prove-inheritance-is-mostly-overrated-as-a-reason-for-wealth/amp/

https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/articles/7-myths-about-millionaires

Of course in raw dollar amounts the amount of inheritance is larger. But what a load of crap that most people got their money by sitting around.

In any event everyone also pronounced that they want their children to be better off than them. So of course they’d like to leave them something.

Most people make their money.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 04:09 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I really hate when people stare bullshit as fact

Stop doing it then. America has a class system regardless of how many hissy fits you have.
chai2

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 08:15 am
@izzythepush,
That’s not what I’m referring to, and you know it.
snood

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 08:17 am
The disagreement is a simple one. Either most wealth in this country was inherited, or it was earned. Neither side has shown compelling evidence to prove their contention, that I’ve seen.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 09:43 am
@chai2,
I don't know what you're doing, and I'm not that interested. I do know that you keep initiating contact with me even though I've made it perfectly clear I don't want to talk to you after you attacked my autistic son.

He is a beautiful boy and I'm really proud of. You are a disgusting bigot and I want to have nothing more to do with you.

Please do not talk to me again.
chai2

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 10:48 am
@snood,
Please explain.

izzy's proof is that he simply said "Most of your rich people inherited it"

I provided a few links with statistics and data.

Maybe the first source wasn't that great, but Forbes and US News are fine sources.

Do you want me to find more data?

While it is obviously true that big players, billionaires can leave a lot to their heirs, it is just as obvious they are a small percentage of the population.

Actually, I like this link below because charts and graphs.

https://www.financialsamurai.com/the-average-net-worth-by-age-for-the-upper-middle-class/

This data came from the US Federal Reserve, which you can't access directly (I tried by going through the link. You have to join) .
I'm going to say I trust their data.

Of course one can jump all over this and say "Well, that just applies to White people", but that doesn't change one bit the actual distribution, which includes Everyone.

So the Average person, overall, if they die from age 65 to over 75, has an average net worth of between about 5 and 7 hundred thousand dollars. That's a nice chunk of money. But if you have 2 or more heirs, it's not like you're leaving them this "enormous inherited wealth" .

Plus, if you look at the ages...
Someone dies between 65 and 75 plus.
They are most likely leaving it to sons and daughters. Who are aged 45 to 55.
Take a look at the chart and you'll quickly see the big jump between the 45-54 and 55-64 groups. A rise of almost exactly $300k. Which is pretty much half of what people 65 and up are worth.
Kinda like someone is leaving their stuff (at that point probably mostly a house) to a couple of adult children. Adult children who will sell the house and split the gains.

https://www.financialsamurai.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/average-NW-by-age-USA-728x473.png

My issue isn't that most wealth in total isn't being left to heirs, but the blatantly ridiculous idea that most People who end up being what is considered wealthy at this moment through inheritance.

Most people, if they acquire wealth, do so through work (whether employed or owning a business), and taking that money and wisely investing it, holding onto capital gains, and living basically modest lives.

They acquire money and wealth through compound interest, reinvesting divdends into their stock portfolio, and own real estate. They get up to middle age and if they were fortunate enough to have parents who were the same way, are left a nice, but modest amount, which is a nice cherry on the top.
Then they retire, just as their parents did, living nicely on what they acquired over 40 years of work, and repeat the cycle with their adult children.

Honestly?
If a person who is poor, and it has been a generational thing for a long time, this is maybe incomprehensible.

I can't help that.
If there was and is one thing I have always wanted to do in my life, it would be to have touched more lives than I have with coaching them in how small things, small changes can make big differences. Not for them maybe, but for their children who are young enough.

I was listening the other day about a program (don't remember the years) where poor families were given the opportunity to move from really poor neighborhoods to solidly middle or upper middle class one.

The results (basically) was that beyond having better housing, living in a lower crime area etc., there was no effect on the savings/wealth accumulation of the parents. They remained poor in the middle of relative affluence.
Ditto with their children who were already over a certain age when they moved. They went on to returning to poverty when they went on their own, even though they had several years of better education.
The payoff was in their younger than a certain age children, and children that were born after the move.

They overall became solidly middle or upper middle class.

BTW, what is really personally interesting to me is that looking back, and looking forward from the age I am right now, I am precisely, eerily where this chart shows, and where I expect to be. And for precisely for the reasons I talked about above.

Worked and invested, managed (and I do not meant this sarcastically) to not get arrested, modest inheritence in 50's, continued to work and invest, lived modestly, and now can relax the reins a bit.

Yes I'm white. I'm sorry about that. Again, not totally meaning that sarcastically. I feel a lot of the time I don't get the freedom to actually say the really boring thing, without making apologies of "I'm white, managed not to get arrested at any point, although I certainly deserved it, just never got caught, worked, lived boring modest life, and ended up comfortable."

It's just not much of a story. But one over the years I've been told in one way or another I need to apologize for. But, I've paid my dues.

Related to this, that idea of "I want things better for my children" It's like a mantra.

So you educate and raise your kids. When they become middle aged you die and leave them what you can because you want things better for them.

Then, it becomes, "Oh, you're just leaving your wealth to your heirs, and that's why they're wealthy. Just like most people get their wealth"

Yeah, like your two or three 50 plus year old children are just gonna go nuts with their lives with the 2 to 4 hundred thousand divided amongst them though the gain through selling your house. Whoo whee! Break out the cream puffs and pink champagne!

Bottom line, if you think about it for more than a moment is, most people who end up wealthy simply did not become weathly through inheritence. Period.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2020 11:50 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I don't know what you're doing, and I'm not that interested. I do know that you keep initiating contact with me even though I've made it perfectly clear I don't want to talk to you after you attacked my autistic son.

He is a beautiful boy and I'm really proud of. You are a disgusting bigot and I want to have nothing more to do with you.

Please do not talk to me again.

I have not much use for you either.

In all honesty, I was not directly addressing you as an individually when I stated my facts about most being not inheriting their wealth.
I would have replied the same regardless who said it. You just happened to be the one.

It's unfortunate that if you say something totally false, no one, including me, is allowed to call you on it. Your initial deflection and feigning ignorance of what I was talking about, and now you're dragging one of your kids into this, out of the clear blue sky, as a shield is a show of desperation on your part.
If you don't want to get called out and hear that things you said aren't true, then don't say them.

To be clear.

I once asked if your other son was also autisic, as he was expressing things in such a way that made me wonder. I meant that question in a sincere way. You chose to take that as some sort of vendeta on my part as if you must be disturbed by anyone else using that word. Honestly, I still seriously wonder if the son I was talking about is somewhere on the spectrum. There's nothing wrong with me wondering that.

I've never said a negative word directly about your autisic child. Never. I don't believe I have ever said a word at all about that son.

Apparantly your definition of the the word attack meana typing the word austic, and/or asking a serious question to someone who is capable of answering on their own.

Also, something else you don't seeem to fathom. You are far from the only person in the world, or on this site, or even on this particular page, that has relatives that are austistic, LGBTQ, or one of many other of the myriad types of people in the world that can go through rough times.

You haven't cornered the market izzy.
I don't know what makes you think you're unique in that way.