The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 09:17 am
@farmerman,
Have you seen Britannia? According to Lash it's our version of the siege of the Alamo?

Btw, Mr Johnson is an American.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
I was speaking of SAMUEL JOHNSON , he preceded our Noah Webster by almost a century.
Robert Cawdrey published th first "Word listing" in abo1600. He too was a British subject bit I dont know if his was a true "dictionary"

Funk n Wagnalls was kind of a post Civil War dingus with new words that were typically Amerkin.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 09:54 am
@farmerman,
OED, on line, is still the greatest dictionary out there. I love it when theres an author of the actual word insertion .EVERY GODDAM WORD.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 09:55 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Have you seen Britannia
Never heard of it. Is it about Gallipoli?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 10:01 am
@farmerman,
Close enough.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 10:02 am
@farmerman,
Thanks for that. I've learned something.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 11:45 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
was there a cartoon accompaniment to make your day complete?

You engage in such childishness because you are not capable of adding anything intelligent to the discussion.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 11:54 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

was there a cartoon accompaniment to make your day complete?

You don't have to be a schmuck because someone likes movies that you are not a fan of. Try to keep your insults down to slamming people who deserve it most. Taylor Swift fans for instance.
Lash

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 12:12 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Have you seen Britannia? According to Lash it's our version of the siege of the Alamo?

He’s trying to be funny. I neither conceived of or uttered that or any comparison to Britannia.

He’s been into the psychedelics.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 01:13 pm
One of the best shows on Netflix finishes on Jan 30.
The Good Place.
They're ending it after 4 great seasons. Cant wait to see what happens to them all but sad it's over.
The cast were great Ted Danson, Kristen Bell ....

Why do all the good shows finish too soon and garbage like dancing with the Kardashian housewives on love island etc goes on and on.

I'd love to see Oak island sink or Giorgio being abducted (and probed) by aliens or a Pit bull latching on to Cesar's nuts.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 01:20 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
I watched the older episodes. Looking forward to catching the last.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 01:34 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Ya Basic!
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 01:39 pm
@chai2,
Yeah, brilliant. Eleanor is so funny.

chai2

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 02:20 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Janet is my personal favorite.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 04:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:

You don't have to be a schmuck because someone likes movies that you are not a fan of.
. Id prefer
"You dont have to be a schmendrick because someone likes movies , the types of which you are not a fan" .

My responses to this poster had nothing to do with his "likes" in movies, not a thing.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 04:49 pm
Kinda late to the Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood party. Saw it over the weekend. My wife and I thought it was up there with Pulp Fiction. DiCaprio and Pitt were excellent. There were a lot of memorable scenes. The rat and racoon flavored Wolf's Tooth Dog Food was hilarious. The movie was a touching tribute to Sharon Tate, what with the way she was portrayed, especially in the theater scene where she goes to see her own movie and gets a kick out of the audience's reaction to her scenes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 05:07 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker, premium large format, 52 foot common height screen, 4K projector, Dolby Atmos sound

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker, 3D

The critics are right to say that this movie is formulaic and is weighed down with fan service and references to previous movies and TV shows.

The critics who say that this is a bad thing are wrong. It's a wonderful ending to the story.

I'd recommend trying to find a showing that combines 3D and Atmos sound if possible. The 3D was good. The Atmos sound was good. It would have been nice if I'd been able to experience both at once.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2020 08:28 pm
@oralloy,
Friday the 27th:
1917 (2019) A great movie which I wish was screening on IMAX but wasn't. But it's one you should catch on the big screen if you can.
Sunday the 29th. Roger Deakins is a cinematic god! Give him his second Oscar already.
Little Women (2019), gorgeous and splendid and often funny. It's in my top ten films of 2019.

NYE:
Cats (2019). A terribly ugly and boring monstrosity.

Rewatched Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) tonight. A great popcorn flick. So fun. Will wait to see this year's sequel when it hits streaming.
panzade

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2020 08:59 am
@tsarstepan,
Waiting for 1917 to open here.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2020 10:32 am
I didn’t check the previous posts but my significant other and I both watched ‘The Two Popes’, released in 11/2019, and enjoyed it immensely. Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce (well-known Hollywood and Shakespearean actor). Hopkins and Pryce are amazing and the movie, though mostly dialogue, never drags. Highly rated by fans as well as movie critics.
0 Replies