The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

snood

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2019 05:56 pm
Just saw Harriet. Very pleasantly surprised. Didn’t know what to expect. Cynthia Erivo is perfect portraying this courageous, resilient badass hero. Some things in the movie that seemed a little fantastic check out on background. Exciting, inspiring movie.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2019 09:30 pm
I’m teaching a unit on her in January. Excited to share the movie with the kids.

She was tough!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2019 05:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
we just got done watching the Two Popes. It was vry vry good.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 12:07 pm
I’m completely in LOVE, dahling! I’m NOW speaking in this FABulous OVERblown style that is WOW, like WARhol in the STUdio!

I have almost decided to be Diana Vreeland. She’s dead, so the persona is up for grabs and I’ll think I’ll take it.

What a life! (She was a horrifying mother) but everything else was mmmm.

Found Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has To Travel on Amazon.

I was surprised to like it so much.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 12:15 pm
@Lash,
Watched the first two seasons of Grace and Frankie (2015- ) on Netflix. Hysterical and moving.
Lash

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2019 12:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh yes! I didn’t think I’d like it but it gets better, I think, with each season.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2019 03:28 pm
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker, premium large format, 52 foot common height screen, 4K projector, Dolby Atmos sound
farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2019 03:39 pm
@oralloy,
was there a cartoon accompaniment to make your day complete?
Lash

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2019 04:52 pm
Laughing.

‘Flowers’ on Netflix stars Olivia Colman—I think it’s an old TV show? It’s suicidally depressed and frenetically funny. Seems they have a version of Southern Gothic family relationships in Britain.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 01:48 am
@Lash,
None of our dramas/families are British versions of American dramas/families.

It happens the other way round all the time.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 06:43 am
@izzythepush,
we copy and improve from all cultures. We even do Russian style TV commercials. That is the greatest form of artistic flattery. Now in painting it IS the otherway around ince about 1920.
Lash

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 07:18 am
@izzythepush,
version
noun
a particular form of something differing in certain respects from an earlier form or other forms of the same type of thing.
——————————
While version seems to have a connotation that the version is a copy of something previous, the denotation literally means just similar, neither one having happened in any specific order.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 08:04 am
@Lash,
Talking **** doesn't change facts. You seem to be of the opinion that everything out there is a foreign version of something already existing in America. It's not.

Other countries have their own cultures that have nothing to do with America, and no British comedy writer would use American "comedy" as an inspiration.

You do it to help you understand other cultures but you're being counter productive. Try to understand that there are no British versions of American culture.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 08:07 am
@farmerman,
If you read Lash's posts everything we have is just a British version of America, Jeremy Corbyn is the British Bernard Sanders, and it doesn't stop there.

I know it's because she's very ignorant, but it doesn't excuse her trying to whitewash other cultures away and impose her cultural imperialism on us.
Lash

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 08:15 am
@izzythepush,
I gotta say, this is the funniest thing you’ve ever written.

You can’t tolerate any comment about any similarities between Britain and other countries.

British and American newspapers are full of them, but I’m an imperialist to mention them.

You need to see somebody about that. Including Mr. Funk and Mr. Wagnalls—although I’m sure you’d have an imperious lecture for them.
Lash

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 08:16 am
@izzythepush,
The correct definition of the word used in my comment actually does change everything.

Bad form.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 08:17 am
Movies, folks... movies.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 08:22 am
@Lash,
You didn't say similarities you said it was a British version of existing American culture, which is plain wrong.

What you're doing would be quite useful if you were in kindergarten, but as an adult it actually stops you learning anything.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 08:24 am
@Lash,
I've no idea who Funk and Wagnalls are. That's your culture not mine.
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 09:08 am
@izzythepush,
It is an Americanized version of Mr Johnson's biggest idea, And of which , Mr Blackadder hqd lost severl hundred pages as it was entrusted to him to deliver to the pressmen in March of 1755.