The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

coluber2001

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 10:47 pm
King of California starring Michael Douglas.
The Michael Douglas character is released from a mental institution and forms a relationship with his estranged daughter. He leads and drags her on an obsessional treasure hunt for gold from a 1624 Spanish Expedition.
It's a very good low budget movie displaying one of Douglas's better acting efforts. I streamed it free on Tubi TV.
Lash

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2019 05:12 am
@coluber2001,
I thought King of California was a nice surprise.

I saw The Hate You Give last night on HBO. I’m going to take a few days, read the book, and decide if I want to take a run at the school district hurdles to get it added to the curriculum.

I think the story goes a little way toward explaining how a black kid and a white kid in this country can live side by side and have vastly different experiences. I feel like a realistic portrayal of that should be required reading for all of us. In the absence of that, this might be a good placeholder.

So, wow, I botched that review.

I can’t say I enjoyed it, but it really resonated with me. The main character was Rue on The Hunger Games. 🙂The movie tried to address biracial friendships, ‘cultural appropriation’, things that drive many kids to deal drugs...

Lots of flat characters, but these issues are way too big for a movie.

Wow, my review just keeps getting worse. Take your medicine! Watch this movie! Laughing
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2019 02:07 pm
Yesterday I streamed "Artificial Intelligence", the three hour science-fiction drama by Spielberg. It's Spielberg so it's got to be good, right?
Bleah! A wasted 3 hours. Maybe if it was an hour and a half, it would be more bearable.

And the music by John Williams copying Gyorgi Ligety from 2001, simplifying the themes and stretching them out forever. A lot of time there was no speaking and the music was supposed to carry the movie. The thing about science fiction movies is you can guess what science and technology will accomplish in the future, but you can't guess what the art or music is going to be like. If you could guess it would have already been written. So here is John Williams trying to write music of the future and all he accomplishes is a dull, reactionary, uninspired elevator-type music, a sort of science-fiction kitsch.

So all that exist in the future are these compassionate highly advanced robots that replace human beings, perhaps for the better? Not only are there no human beings, there are also no other living things at all. Yet the whole thing is presented as a fairy tale. A fairy tale with poor writing. Maybe it would work as a half hour Rod Serling Twilight Zone episode.
Lash

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2019 08:10 am
This is amazing. I can’t imagine anyone who this won’t at least resonate with—on some level.

It’s set in Manchester, begins in current day and propels forward following politics, the Trump effect, refugees, tech advancements and the impact on society.

Interesting dialogue and observations.

“Years and Years” on HBO.
0 Replies

Janny46

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 12:50 am
@oralloy,
Avengers Endgame is so awesome movie.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 06:20 am
@coluber2001,
Interesting. One doesn’t see a critique of movie soundtracks here very often.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 11:23 am
The The World's Greatest Dad, starring Robin Williams.

A really good movie showing the acting talents of Robin Williams. He was much more than a hyperactive comedian.

The movie concerns the son of the Robin Williams character, an abrasive, thoroughly unlikable teenager who dies during a masturbation event. His father disguises it as a suicide and writes a note to the general public, which endears the disliked son to everybody. An important study in human group psychology.
snood

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 05:27 pm
@coluber2001,
I liked Robin Williams much more for his dramatic roles in movies than for his comedy. You probably know he won an Oscar for Good Will Hunting. If you’ve never seen Awakenings - with Williams and Robert DeNiro, check it out.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 26 Jun, 2019 07:56 pm
@snood,
Yeah, I liked Awakening. A supposedly true story about Oliver Sacks.

Williams was really a deep person. He is missed.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 07:40 am
Wow. I just watched The Public - a new movie written and directed by Emilio Estevez. It has a LOT of ‘A List’ actors in it. It is a story that revolves around the takeover of a large public library by a group of homeless in a major city during a deadly cold winter. It’s a very timely tale that asks the question of what is the responsibility of the state to the poor and homeless. Not trite or gratuitously tear jerking. A good movie, well written and acted.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 02:28 pm
Renoir

A 2012 movie about the famous impressionist in his last years. He gets a new model, Andrée, whom he really likes for her skin. And there is a lot of it. Renoir's son, Jean is on convalescent leave from the war, and he falls in love with Andrée too.

The movie is probably faithful to the historical Renoir, and the movie itself has an impressionistic feeling to it.

Jean, the son, in real life goes on to become a famous director in America.

The movie is very refreshing and I recommend it to anybody interested in a period movie.

https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/6/26/1372267662205/Renoir-film-still-012.jpg
glitterbag

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2019 12:40 am
@coluber2001,
I am trying to watch 'Robin Hood..made in 2018". It is chock full of superb actors and yet it stinks to high heaven. The soundtrack, the cinematography, the makeup, the costumes, the hair (Jesus Christ) the hair......how could anybody foul up a story/film so badly. It's dreadful, peeyoo
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2019 10:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Zandalee on Amazon: Holy ******* ****.....How is this still available.....how did this fall through the cracks of the New Morality Police...they patterned upon the Shariah Police...how did our protectors fail us so!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:36 pm
@coluber2001,
I gotta find this one. Im an" artists life" movie freak.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2019 11:43 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I gotta find this one. Im an" artists life" movie freak.

you may never find your way to be decent towards me but what you have done with your life I deeply admire.....you have made your life into a piece of art as Lana Del Rey would say....so very few accomplish this now...as I know that you know.....Because I always understood that you get it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 06:58 am
@farmerman,
Oddly named Awkwafina's lead in The Farewell (2019) has Oscar nomination written all over it.

This film already broke this 2019's highest per theater average record held by Avenger's Endgame and will be opening nationally (to a limited extent) this weekend.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Jul, 2019 01:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Here's a tally of my top 10 films of 2019 so far. The first ones are Japanese anime.
1. I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (2018)
A Silent Voice (2016): I'm cheating as this is a theatrical rerelease and not a first run theatrical release.
2. Booksmart (2019)
3. Toy Story 4 (2019)
4. Midsommar (I) (2019)
5. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)
6. Avengers: Endgame (2019)
7. The Last Black Man in San Francisco (2019)
8. The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)
9. The Farewell (I) (2019)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 03:03 pm
There’s something really alluring to me about the old Anthony Bourdain culture, travel, indigenous foodie shows, and even though there are three or four series multiplied by years, I want to take breaks so I don’t overdo it.

So, when I find something similar, especially new episodes, I’m happy. I have also loved The Chef’s Table series. Season 6 is on Netflix now. I was sad to see Sean Brock’s story. We actually have one of his restaurants in my city, and we wondered why he stepped away from it last year. One episode about a chef who crossed the border illegally told her story—and I may use it in class during rainy recess.

So many stories that should be heard.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2019 04:37 pm
I finally got around to watching Bad Day For The Cut on Netflix. It's an Irish product and a bit violent at times. Superb acting, filming etc.

At the end it becomes clear there are no real winners after all the bloodshed. No real losers either as they (those who survive) seem to learn something.

Quite good.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2019 07:45 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Oddly named Awkwafina's lead in The Farewell (2019) has Oscar nomination written all over it.

This film already broke this 2019's highest per theater average record held by Avenger's Endgame and will be opening nationally (to a limited extent) this weekend.

I suspect that The Farewell is going to slip by moviegoers on a2k.
0 Replies