The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 May, 2019 09:45 am
@izzythepush,
I don't see any science in Us. It's a completely fantastical Twilight Zone nightmare with fantasy physics and plot government. Not a criticism ... just my personal observation. If you looked too hard into it (you have to ... if you're giving it scientific credibility where there really isn't any...) there are far too many plotholes to overlook. These plotholes aren't plotholes if you take it at face value in a fantasy (albeit a not so Tolkien fantasy direction but a twisted David Lynchian fantasy direction) light.

Sorry to Bother You also has these dystopian fantasy threads running through it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 May, 2019 09:50 am
@tsarstepan,
There was a few seconds on it the government is creating duplicates to control people.

It's as scientific an explanation you're going to get in that sort of film.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 May, 2019 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
I guess because there is so little actual scientific discussion on the process of how? It's as scientific as any plot device in Star Wars (which is never considered hard science fiction and only ever thought of as soft or science fiction opera). If they kind of did more than implying a cloning project than I would have given it more credence.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 May, 2019 10:09 am
@tsarstepan,
It's primarily entertainment. It paid lip service to science.

As far as hard science fiction goes, have you read this?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8a/THBLCKCLDH1957.jpg/220px-THBLCKCLDH1957.jpg

The author is about as hard sci fi as you can get.

Quote:
Sir Fred Hoyle FRS (24 June 1915 – 20 August 2001)[1] was a British astronomer who formulated the theory of stellar nucleosynthesis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hoyle

I had to read The Black Cloud at school. It's ******* terrible, scientifically accurate, but incredibly dull and boring.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 10 May, 2019 04:42 pm
After decades, I’m watching the first episode of Mary Tyler Moore. I’m looking forward to going through this experience again. It was a lot smarter than I remembered, couched in goofiness.

I used to love it.

My One Act Play teacher in high school said I was her Rhoda Morgenstern character.

Makes me smile more now than then.

https://youtu.be/L218XwnsUzs

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 May, 2019 07:26 am
The first episode of “Chernobyl” was interesting enough to watch the second. Streaming on HBO.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 12 May, 2019 09:04 am
Passengers with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence (and briefly, Lawrence Fishburne). They are two colonists awakened 88 years early during their 150 year space journey to a new world. I won’t give away the dramatic conflict, but it is acted very well, and it made me think about isolation and sacrifice and the meaning of love.
Ragman

Reply Mon 13 May, 2019 11:11 am
@snood,
I saw that one. I liked it as it brought up some interesting ethical issues. Well acted and fairly well written, too.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 13 May, 2019 12:19 pm
Nebraska--(2013) Bruce Dern

Shot in black and white. I streamed this movie from the free website, Pluto TV. A pre-dementia, heavy drinking old man determined to travel from Billings, Montana to Lincoln, Nebraska to redeem a bogus one million-dollar sweepstakes prize even if he has to walk. Finally, his son drives him. A movie about an estranged son attempting to establish a relationship with his father.

A refreshing movie everyone can relate to.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 17 May, 2019 11:17 pm
X-Men: First Class
Brushing up on my X-Men history before going to see Dark Phoenix.
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 May, 2019 02:03 am
@oralloy,
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
oralloy

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 04:36 am
@oralloy,
X-Men
and
X2: X-Men United
oralloy

Reply Mon 20 May, 2019 02:43 pm
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 22 May, 2019 01:42 pm
@oralloy,
X-Men: The Last Stand
snood

Reply Thu 23 May, 2019 03:15 am
John Wick 3 Parabellum. Totally mindless and hyperbolic violence and melodrama. Exactly what I wanted to see and expected, because I’d seen the first two. It’s insane the kinds of stunts Keanu Reeves and Halle Berry do at ages 54 and 52 respectively. Phenomenal fight scenes- maybe the best I’ve ever seen. The fight scene with Halle Berry and her two Belgian Malinois attack dogs are flat out A.MAZ.ING. - almost worth the price of admission by itself.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 24 May, 2019 01:43 pm
@snood,
The Soloist, with Robert Downey jr. and Jamie Foxx playing a homeless schizophrenic drop-out from Juilliard with a unique talent for playing the violin and cello. Robert Downey Jr., a reporter, attempts to rehabilitate him with some success.

I streamed this on Pluto TV and is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Stellar performances by Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey jr. And a lot of Beethoven especially excerpts from the third Symphony.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 11:18 am
@coluber2001,
I've been bingewatching "The 100" and "arrow", both still on, but both have jumped the shark.
also "Victoria" on PBS, waiting with bated breath for the next season, if they ecer produce it. Henry Louis. Gate's "Reconstruction" really goog foriys take on American dashed hopes. And his "Finding Your Roots" is great for showing just how much we all have in common.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 11:49 am
@MontereyJack,
I wanted to watch Victoria and a lot of the other Masterpiece Theater Productions, but in the winter they interfere with football, so I miss out on a lot. I saw the first two seasons of Thornton Abby and then missed the rest of them because of football season.
coluber2001

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 12:00 pm
@coluber2001,
I saw the recent BBC production of Les Miserables, and I was quite impressed. I've always dismissed it as a bit of melodramatic fluff, but this production was so excellent I couldn't stop watching it. Yes, it's from a romantic novel, and the characters are extremely polarized and there is unending drama and emotion, but the Andrew Davies production cuts through all that. To those who missed it, the two disk video is available online for about $20.

https://www.radiotimesdvds.co.uk/20919-large_default/les-miserables-bbc-2019-dvd.jpg
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 25 May, 2019 12:05 pm
@coluber2001,
Victoria is on demand at I think Amazon Prime and probably secvral other sites.. I recommend it. PBS also has a lot of their programs available for screening on demand in the States, probably including Masterpiece. I'm pretty sure you can subscribe outside the {US and watch outside of footie season.