The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

Lash

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2019 02:53 am
@izzythepush,
My kids and I used to pretty frequently riff on competing Michael Caine impersonations after we saw this. I liked it.

My-kuhw Kayn. <——I win.

Loved to death one of Caine’s memoirs. (Think he’s done more than one?)
izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2019 04:09 am
@Lash,
I don't know. If you go on a barge down the Thames they'll point out Billingsgate fish market where Maurice Micklewhite used to work as a porter.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2019 11:13 pm
@izzythepush,
We saw 'Us' yesterday...the newest Jordan Peele Film. The performances by the actors were superb...Peele is very talented and his movie was very creepy....I'd recommend it...but I would like someone to explain the damn rabbits to me.
dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2019 11:38 pm
@glitterbag,
Rabbits?
Lash

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2019 06:52 am
@glitterbag,
I’m looking forward to ‘Us’ showing up on cable. (Do we still call it cable?). It looks horrifying.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2019 12:57 pm
@dlowan,
Yep!! Rabbits!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2019 02:19 pm
The CCNY channel ran The Shop On Main Street last night (it'll show again tonight at 9). Sure it's in Czechoslovakian and the subtitles are a way through, overall, wonderful movie even 50 some odd years after the 1966 release.

Jozef Kroner, Ida Kaminska and the rest of the cast is superb, as is the directing.

Music is good too.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 08:04 pm
Avengers: Endgame 3D, Dolby Atmos sound
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 08:10 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

We saw 'Us' yesterday...the newest Jordan Peele Film. The performances by the actors were superb...Peele is very talented and his movie was very creepy....I'd recommend it...but I would like someone to explain the damn rabbits to me.

I found it not that scary, especially after all the hype about Peele being “the new Hitchcock” and all.

Here’s an explanation of the rabbits:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a26944087/jordan-peele-us-rabbit-meaning-explained-theory/
glitterbag

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 09:50 pm
@snood,
Unfortunately for me I just don't have an artists sensitivity regarding symbolism......I can still recall how irritating most of the David Lynch movies were to me...everyone is wondering about the 'message' or the 'deep meaning' of the scenes. Don't get me wrong, his films are beautifully filmed and there is a lot to like....but when two women wander into a theater to listen to a women singing a Roy Orbison tune in Spanish, then pull a 'rabbit's foot' out of a tiny purse while weeping right before the singer passes out......I looked to my left at mr. g'bag then we both started to laugh. (Mulholland Drive). I think I'm not sensitive enough to understand artists/film makers.

I still think all those rabbits in cages was creepy.....I felt better seeing them hopping around at the end of the film....
snood

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:20 pm
@glitterbag,
You’re funny 😆
glitterbag

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:23 pm
@snood,
Yeah, but looks aren't everything.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:30 pm
@snood,
Did you see Mulholland Drive? I came to the belief that David Lynch films have no symbolism, just weird ploys to see how many viewers would wonder what it all means........like the cowboy who kept walking thru scenes.

But Blue Velvet made me very angry, I'll never forgive the cast and director for wasting my time.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:30 pm
@glitterbag,
Rabbits scare me.
Been this way ever since I saw Harvey.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:32 pm
@Sturgis,
Really????? I loved that movie.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2019 10:35 pm
@glitterbag,
Maybe it was the fact that my Bugs Bunny didn't approve of him and wanted me to buy him an extra bag of carrots.

Seriously, I didn't like the movie.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 May, 2019 07:03 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

I found it not that scary, especially after all the hype about Peele being “the new Hitchcock” and all.

Still a solid film. Didn't need to be scary to be noteworthy and quite watchable. Jordan Peele has some excellent storytelling chops and his direction style is very promising.

It's very likely Us won't make my top 10 films of 2019 but I definitely expect great (and very original) things from Peele.
snood

Reply Wed 1 May, 2019 07:50 am
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, doesn’t need to be scary to be solid, but with the movie being hyped as horrifying, and Peele being hyped as a new genius at inducing suspense and fear, scary would be good.

They did a similar kind of buildup with M. Night Shamylan when he started. We can’t help but expect super creative blockbusters from Peele. I like the guy and love his humor (still watch Key and Peele), but this was just overhyped in my humble opinion.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 1 May, 2019 08:00 am
@snood,
Horror like comedies are pretty subjective to figure out. A lot of critics declared Hereditary (2018) as one of the scariest and best movies of last year. I personally found it the (unintentionally) funniest movie from last year.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 May, 2019 09:37 am
@glitterbag,
I saw it a couple of weeks back. I like the way they did the science bit in about ten seconds.

I assumed the rabbits were a symbol of animal experimentation. They also seemed to link to the others. At the beginning they were caged, then later on they were free.