The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

Kolyo

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2018 11:25 pm
I saw Red Sparrow.

Like most spy movies it confused me, and I will have to watch again at my mother's place, so that she can explain what happened.

The best part was the creepy uncle who looked like Vladimir Putin.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 01:57 pm
@farmerman,
saw GET OUT last night. A turn on Jordan Peele's usual fare. Hes quite a good composer of tales.
Sorta like "the Cabins in the Woods" genre , with demented hillbillies, except these guys were true capitalists.

I hope Peele keeps going and doesnt run out of good ideas like M Knight Shamalahn
centrox

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 03:56 pm
Just seen "Una Mujer Fantastica" (A Fantastic Woman) which got 2018 best foreign language Oscar. Amazing. Brilliant.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 09:59 pm
Wrinkle in Time 3D
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:12 pm
@oralloy,
whudja think of it?
oralloy

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:26 pm
@MontereyJack,
I liked it, but I tend to like any sci-fi/fantasy that doesn't suckerpunch me with a surprise unhappy ending.

People will probably enjoy it more if they've read the books.

It wasn't at the same level as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. But I'm glad I went to see it.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2018 11:44 pm
@oralloy,
Are you a big consumer of sci-fi?
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 12:14 am
@glitterbag,
It depends on how one defines big.

I've never traveled to a fan convention or dressed myself in a Star Trek uniform.

I do make a one hour drive to a nearby city to see movies like Star Wars on a fairly big screen (either a 74-foot Premium Large Format or a 70-foot LieMax).
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2018 08:54 am
@oralloy,
Visiting my sister in Palm Springs Cali and we're going to see it tonight on your recommendation. Regular screen.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2018 11:47 am
Just saw Early Man at the cinema with the kids, real laugh out loud stuff.
https://www.earlyman.movie/assets/img/earlyman-facebook-1200x630-teaser-f.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 07:19 am
@izzythepush,
I was mildly disappointed in Early Man (and I truly adore Nick Park and Aardman Studios).

Just didn't connect with the soccer storyline and the not so well drawn (emotionally not animation wise) characters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2/3rds the way through the Errol Morris documentary/true crime reenactment series, Wormwood. Fascinating (though a tad long at 6 episodes).
izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 10:50 am
@tsarstepan,
I didn't think Americans would get the football storyline. The word soccer is never mentioned btw. I loved it, a lot of our stuff is watered down for American consumption. This wasn't and it made a welcome change.

Now you know how we feel when American sports people/commentators are featured on programmes like The Simpsons.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 11:44 am
@izzythepush,
A lot of it was very tongue in cheek. The Brutish were clearly the British, and like the Brutish we invented football, taught the rest of the World to play football, only to be beaten over and over again because we're "crap at football."

There were some wonderful lines too like.

"I am far from alright, I've just been massaged by a pig."
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:43 am
@izzythepush,
Wormwood turns out to be quite a cautionary tale for this political climate given the influence Putin has over the near-psychotic nature and damaged ego of Donald Trump.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2018 10:12 pm
I just saw Unsane (2018) at the cinema.

I loved Schizopolis, and this was just as great.
Steven Soderbergh's low budget stuff is his best.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 24 Mar, 2018 11:32 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

saw GET OUT last night. A turn on Jordan Peele's usual fare. Hes quite a good composer of tales.
Sorta like "the Cabins in the Woods" genre , with demented hillbillies, except these guys were true capitalists.

I hope Peele keeps going and doesnt run out of good ideas like M Knight Shamalahn

I didn't think I'd enjoy 'Get Out' as much as I did, I was sure I'd like it but it was far more enjoyable than I expected. I expected the old crazy doctor/scientist type of story but Peele added so many unexpected twists and turns and the performances started out as vaguely unsettling but then morphed into an edge of your seat thriller.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 25 Mar, 2018 12:10 am
@glitterbag,
After watching Get Out I saw Skeleton Key.

Lots of similarities, I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't been some sort of inspiration.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2018 10:25 pm
Pacific Rim Uprising 3D

My review:

You should only see this if you've seen Pacific Rim first. And if you've seen Pacific Rim you will already know whether this is the sort of movie you want to see.

If you haven't seen Pacific Rim and want to know whether this is something that you want to see: Giant Godzilla-like monsters come out of the ocean to rampage the cities of the world. We build gigantic human-controlled robots to fight them off.

The above two sentences is a fair description of the entire plot of both movies.

I liked it. But I like that sort of movie. If you also like that sort of movie, you'll like this movie. If you hate that sort of movie, you won't like this movie.
maporsche

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 08:53 am
@oralloy,
Agree 100%
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2018 04:08 pm
@oralloy,
a recent guest hot on TCM made the comment about films of the erlier years. "Well they didnt have the capability to generate fantastic CGI unless we count Ray Harryhousen"

"SO" he continued"All they had was smart plots and good acting.
I saw PR I, and,like Kong of Kong Island, it actually gets quite tiring at how a story and acting are substituted for by technology the could easily been removed except for a few key scenes.

Busy catching up on LONGMIRE via 'Flix. Its a well done series that is reminiscent of the Joe Leaphorn Jim Chi detective stories (except these are at a Cheyenne Reservation rather than the Dine')