The Most Recent Movie You've Seen on Streaming, Broadcast TV, or Movie Theater?

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2018 12:01 pm
Homes by the Sea- more beautiful English locales. Fabulous architecture and historic homes. Netflix
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 07:10 am
@Lash,
A trio of horror and/or comedy flicks.
Yesterday afternoon:
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010) via Netflix: 8/10.

Last night:
The Belko Experiment (2016) via NYPL dvd: 8/10. Was expecting this to be more like the cult comedy, Office Space. Not really funny, mostly dark and brutal.

Finished this morning:
Little Evil (2017) via Netflix, 7/10.
Lash

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 08:38 am
I’ve gone completely off the rails, bingeing Pride and Prejudice—the poorly put- together series starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I don’t want to see the enormous disembodied head of Colin Firth dancing onto the screen to symbolize her thinking of him!

I adored the Lawrence Olivier production. The Keira Knightly version wasn’t half-bad.

*Sigh*
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 08:40 am
@tsarstepan,
As I get older, I find myself completely avoiding the horror genre. I think sad and dark feel worse and stay with me longer.

Glad you can still enjoy a little fright!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 11:17 am
Brittania !

Outrageously beautiful, evocative. They get away with using Hurdy Gurdy Man to introduce druids...

Found it on Amazon.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 01:52 pm
@Lash,
How far have you got? I'm seeing it on Sky. I'm up to episode 5. Eleanor Worthington Cox is bloody brilliant, definitely a future star.
Lash

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 07:43 pm
@izzythepush,
I’m only through the first episode, and sent a clarion call through the family. I’m trying to wait for them, but I’m having a hard time of it. If they don’t get a look tomorrow, I’ll move on with it.

It has everything I love—elements of True Detective, Vikings, history, Celts, Braveheart, mysticism, Rome, court intrigue—I love the culture of women.

Eleanor is breaking bad as a young woman in the wild with The Outcast. Her moment on the road, parting company with the outcast was beyond her age. I was impressed.

https://youtu.be/u49QAwGcQF4

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 08:03 pm
Bit of writing about Brittania.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/18/britannia-recap-series-one-episode-one
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2018 09:03 pm
She’s Boudica, isn’t she?

My ******* hero.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 02:32 am
@Lash,
I don't know who she is meant to be historically, but she could well be.

The Romans actually wiped out the druids so all we know about them is from the Romans themselves. The neo druids of today date from 18th Century Romantics. That gives the scriptwriters incredible licence because we don't really know that much about them.
Lash

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 07:25 am
@izzythepush,
Nodding. I’m really pleased with what they’ve imagined.

I’m getting into more today.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 07:51 am
@Lash,
Neo druids are a lot of fun. We've got one called Arthur Pendragon who claims to be the reincarnation of the Arthur Pendragon. He once conviced Somerset County Council to let him dig up a road because he thought Excalibur was buried underneath. They let him, but he found nothing and left a big hole for the taxpayer to fill in. (That may be apocryphal, my dad told me and he's not the most reliable of sources.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Uther_Pendragon
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2018 07:56 am
Btw, Boudicca may be inspiring, she even has a statue in Hype Park, but her revolution was short lived. The Romans occupied Britain for the best part of 400 years and they only left when the empire itself started to collapse, nothing to do with the Britons.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Boudica_statue%2C_Westminster_%288433726848%29.jpg/800px-Boudica_statue%2C_Westminster_%288433726848%29.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2018 02:23 am
I saw the first part of Troy fall of a city on the BBC last night. Quite enjoyable and my lad loved it. Episode one was told mostly from the point of view of Paris, and certain characters, Odysseus, Agamemnon, Achilles and Ajax, have yet to make an appearance.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/feb/17/troy-fall-of-a-city-recap-series-one-episode-one-black-blood
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2018 06:44 pm
CELEBRITIES IN CARS DRINKING COFFEE. Its a thing that Jerry Seinfeld an Larry David cooked up and It is, IMHO, the stoopidest unfunny POS Ive seen since Whitehouse Down.
Silly but sadly unfunny. HAs Seinfeld lost it?
Lash

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2018 07:00 pm
@farmerman,
One of my kids thinks it’s hilarious, but largely owing to the guests rather than Seinfeld.

0 Replies

jane21august

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2018 12:12 am
@tsarstepan,
Black panther
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 09:23 am
Black Panther 3D

Annihilation
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 09:48 am
@oralloy,
Went to see Black Panther last night. Great flick and one of the best scores of the Marvel universe.

Might go and see Annihilation tonight.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2018 03:20 pm
Saw the last bit if Gangster Story, 1959, starring and directed by Walter Matthau this past Saturday. Got interested and found it on YouTube and watched it last night. Not great, not dreadful, it's a time filler.