Survivor 9: Vanuatu

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:36 am
Did anyone else think it odd that they came down so hard on Twila for swearing on her son? I remember on a previous survivor that Johnny Fairplay lived that his grandmother died and no one got angry with that. They actually thought it was a smart tactic. Is there really a difference between these two lies? Maybe it is all in the delivery or perhaps they expect Johnny to lie whereas the believed Twila to be trustworthy so they took it harder when she lied.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 08:46 am
Almost!

Almost twice -- Scout was one word away from a million (if she'd said "yes", she had a pact with Twila, Chris would've taken her and she would have won against him), and almost in saying after the first episode that Chris was one who if he made it through the first few votes, he'd go a long way, without defining "a long way" as winning the whole thing.

RfromP, yeah, so much of getting to the final four is capriciousness/ chance. The strongest people (strength, influence, or both) get voted off because they are seen as threats. Chris deserves credit for doing so well at the immunity challenges towards the end, and for his final tribal council performance, where he was laying it on with a trowel. Ami and Scout saw through it, everyone else seemed to be swayed. I mean Sarge especially with his "I'm not voting for you" schtick, trying to see Chris' "true character" or something, anyone could see through that yet Chris got him all misty-eyed -- that's something, "outwit"-wise.

But can any of these people say they deserved to win more than say Brady? There were people who were working hard, making a good camp, winning challenges, playing hard, who were voted out 'cause they were threats. A LOT of them -- the voting-out-cause-they're-threats strategy started really early this game, and Mr. Self-righteous (Sarge) was the chief architect of that shifty plan.

Meanwhile, did anyone watch the reunion show? Anything interesting?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 09:37 am
Linkat, totally about the swearing on her son's name -- not even her son's life. I think it was just wrapped up with the whole Twila persona, an excuse for not liking her. (For someone who supposedly played the game so well she did a shoddy job of maintaining goodwill/ friendships...)

Jeff had a teaser about asking the Survivors why that was such a big deal right before the reunion show, did anyone see that and the reply?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 02:51 pm
I watched part of the reunion, but I got bored and left. It was the same thing over again. Twila and her swearing. As I was flipping channels, I did see Rory say something to the effect that he and Twila both had a similar problem. Neither of them could keep his/her mouth shut.
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 06:11 pm
sozobe wrote:
Meanwhile, did anyone watch the reunion show? Anything interesting?

The audience on the reunion show was a bit unruly and made it a little distracting but aside from that wasn't without some interesting moments. Some highlights:

Probst did a good job of calling people out. For instance:

Chris playing big brother to Julie to gain her trust and then after getting that trust, "cutting her throat" as Jeff put it. Chris justified it by saying Julie "jumped the fence" when Rory was voted off. Same trust thing with Eliza and she admitted that her vote for him was more a vote against Twila.

Jeff asked Chris if his reason for taking Twila to the final two was that he knew Twila had alienated the others and were more likely to vote for him. Chris agreed and said Twila was outspoken and wasn't shy about telling the others what was on her mind. What was interesting was that after Chris confirmed that was his reasoning that Twila remarked, "so what you're saying is that most of the time I said the truth but you lied like a dog and won?" That statement drew a hearty response of applause from the audience.

Ami said she couldn't help but vote for Twila because she got played by her and didn't think she could be played and because she had got her "straight on" Twila deserved her vote. Jeff called her out on this by asking was her vote really about the women's alliance and just voting for a woman. She said, "Chris played an awesome game but came down to Twila got me. Chris had a little bit to do with it, but of course he would, she flat out outplayed me."

Jeff asked the same question to Scout, "Was it the women's alliance that kept you in there voting for Twila?" She said, "I had a real strong alliance with Twila and kept it all the way to the end and when the final vote came down I couldn't give a million dollars for that much bullshit." Nice shot at Chris about his final tribal council performance.

Julie seemed to be wishing she voted for Twila instead of Chris. She stated she was completely disillusioned by Chris and she is just now realizing it and that Twila was endearing, real and honest. I just know that Chris was thinking, "sucker!"

Jeff said to Sarge, "You voted for Chris, question is, was it, I'm voting for a man all the way? or was it based on Chris or was it against Twila?, cause that's what I sensed." Sarge responded, "No, it was never a man woman thing," then he stammered, "I don't, I do not look at anybody man woman everyone's equal. What I looked at it is I would never surround myself with a person that has no values. I live my life on a straight line value honor, discipline and if someone does not live on that wavelength then I would not surround myself and would not reward that." Jeff interjected, "And you're talking specifically about Twila lying" Sarge, "yeah." Jeff called him out on that by telling him for a guy who lives with this moral code that his decision was based on hearsay and something that happened after he was out of the game. Sarge started stammering again and then backtracked and said his decision had to do with the point in the game when Twila turned on him.

LeAnn had the best response of anyone who voted for Chris. She said, "There was no way a guy was getting to the final four much less the final two. He had to have played; kudos to him. And secondly I promised Twila I'd never write her name down." Ouch! That was downright funny. She also acknowledged that her vote was more against Twila than it was for Chris because it was very difficult to separate feelings from game and her feelings were hurt.

sozobe wrote:
Jeff had a teaser about asking the Survivors why that was such a big deal right before the reunion show, did anyone see that and the reply?

No one could really justify the big deal over Twila's deception. More anger over being lied to than concern over the fate of her son's name. Scout's response to the reaction to Twila's lie was, "The thing that really puked me out was all the self-righteousness that came out. If people are so self-righteous and loving and harmonious then why don't they just forgive her?, I do" The rest then chimed in on their forgiveness of Twila.

The last part of the show was a quick "How are you doing" to the other contestants and a sneak peek of the next Survivor in the islands of Palau. It said the game will start with 20 contestants and from the beginning the game will be changed in a dramatic way. Everything that the survivors have come to expect will be wiped out in the first ten minutes. Sounds intriguing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 07:26 pm
That last part does sound intriguing. 'Cause yeah, they know what to expect and prepare for it. I think that's part of the cause of the boredom. Oh, merge is coming up. Oh, it's the endurance challenge now. Not to mention the major issue with this one of getting strong people out of the way early and leaving the most mediocre.

I wish Scout would've won. Oh well.

Thanks for the recap!!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:49 am
It's odd that the only votes Twila received were from the lesbians...
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:10 am
I've been an off-and-on Survivor viewer <missed the 1st series until I caught the fever in re-runs; watched less than 1/2 of Survivor2 in Australia and then missed completely until the All-Star series earlier this year.> I did catch all but the 1st episode of Vannautu & thought it lacked some of the interesting personalities of the All-Stars. Those that were mildly interesting to me (i.e., Twyla, Ami, Chris & Rory) didn't really hold a candle to prior contestants like Richard Hatch & Colleen Haskell from Season 1 and Rob M., Rupert & Big Tom from the All -Stars.

Still, I give credit to Chris for truly being the last man standing. If the woman's alliance hadn't crumbled, he wouldda been gone, gone, gone after Chad. I still believe Ami was the best overall contender of this bunch.

Semi-interesting tidbit: Just read in my local paper (NOT the Enquirer) that Jeff Probst and Julie are a long-term relationship (that supposedly started only after the end of filming this last season).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:29 am
Looks like it!

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3134

All that naked sunbathing netted her a millionaire, if not a million... (if Probst is a millionaire anyway -- you'd think so...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2005 09:08 am
New one!

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45921
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Mon 28 Feb, 2005 12:44 am
You just gotta love Survival. All the backstabbing, the drama, the hypocrisy, the cleverness.....and so on. One thing that I noticed was that you can't become an outsider or an enemy on Survivor because you'll be the first one out. It doesn't matter how much you hate that person, you must force yourself to get along.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:17 am
Chris ruined this survivor. It has to be the worst Survivor yet.
0 Replies