Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 02:49 pm
Take very good care of yourself, Miss Letty.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:02 pm
I'll try ehBeth. Guess I had better start making plans now.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:26 pm
hl
Letty wrote:
Crying or Very sad

Hi Letty and eBeth,

I was surprised to see an update to this old thread pop into my mailbox. Yep... I guess it's time to rev it up again and in answer to an earlier question when someone asked "What's GW going to do about it".

Now we know the answer..... Nothing. There's no money in it for him or his greedy friends. Oooops, I take it back. The price of gas went up 15 to 25 cents a gallon over night since it was announced that we are sure to take another direct hit.

Where are you located Letty? Are you all prepared for this mess?

I filled up my gas tank a couple days ago & bought extra luxury items like TP. Then came necessities like two big fat jars of peanut butter and several boxes of crackers. I also purchased a small disposable grill & charcoal. I had not replaced my grill since the last hurricane and by the time I remembered the only grills left in the stores were large expensive ones and I'm in no mood to spend money on something that may disappear in the storm.

Best of luck Letty and anyone else in this area.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:27 pm
I just talked to a guy in Jackson MS, and the all rooms are full in the hotels and motels
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:35 pm
======
husker wrote:
I just talked to a guy in Jackson MS, and the all rooms are full in the hotels and motels

Yep, many people are panicking and are heading north or west.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my apt building withstands this one too. It survived Ivan with only broken windows and a few doors banged up. There's no place left here to get a room and the shelters scare me to death. I don't want to be caught in the schools with a crowd of people.

I've gone to a shelter one time and that was the scariest hurricane I have seen and it was barely a category 1 by the time it made landfall.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:41 pm
Maggincat, I live in Florida. And as Husker says, hotel rooms are already full. I was due to have a new roof put on my house Monday from the last hurricane, Frances. Ever feel that something ain't right?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:46 pm
Hi everyone. Well...it's that time of year again. Here's the track forecasts from the different weather computers for DENNIS

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/upload/4/spaghetti.gif
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:49 pm
For those in the Piedmont area TD Cindy is going to bring a lot of rain.

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/upload/3/spaghetti.gif
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 04:07 pm
Good evening, panzade, and the lovely Ms Letty who never emails me anymore, and to ehbeth. Might it be appropriate to start a new thread for the season?
Cindy, the remnants of Cindy came through Central Virginia last night. Steady rain from dark to dawn, but never so heavy as to cause severe flooding. One to three inches depending on where you happened to be. Unlike the day before or perhaps it was the day before that when we got slammed with a vicious, but very localized, storm. I wrote about that on the thread called, I believe, Weather or Not.
Dennis looks scary. I had not realized how stong a storm it had become.
Yall take care.

(ps: hi magginkat and welcome to A2K. I kind of breezed by your posts, looking for familiar names. You take care, also. Where are your in FL. Thanks and best to you. -johnboy)
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:55 pm
realjohnboy wrote:

(ps: hi magginkat and welcome to A2K. I kind of breezed by your posts, looking for familiar names. You take care, also. Where are your in FL. Thanks and best to you. -johnboy)

Thanks realjohnboy, I've been on a2k for ages, just not a prolific poster. Mostly I have been in eBeth's Rainforest threads with an occasional trip into the lala land of politics.

I am in the Florida Panhandle where the eye of this thing is now projected to hit. I notice that you are in VA. What part of VA are you in?
I grew up in a little town called Lexington in the Shenandoah Valley..... beautiful.

Letty, which part of Florida are you in?

0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:57 pm
Oh by the way, I just heard on the weather channel that if this storm stays on course and hits Florida as projected, it will be the first time ever that a hurricane has made landfall in the US this early in the year.

Heck of a way to set a record huh?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 08:59 pm
Magginkat: letty is on the east coast of FL but I can't remember exactly where; perhaps mid way up. I am in Charlottesville, and she grew up in the next county south. So she and I know what the red clay of Viriginia is all about. My screen name comes from an old TV series called the Walton's that was set in our part of Virginia. The narrator was called Johnboy. It was semi-fictional and I am only a bit more than semi-fictional, so I am Realjohhnboy. I hope that this now makes sense.

Lexington is a beautiful part of Virginia. A great place to grow up in.

Nice to meet you.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 09:06 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
Magginkat: letty is on the east coast of FL but I can't remember exactly where; perhaps mid way up. I am in Charlottesville, and she grew up in the next county south. So she and I know what the red clay of Viriginia is all about. My screen name comes from an old TV series called the Walton's that was set in our part of Virginia. The narrator was called Johnboy. It was semi-fictional and I am only a bit more than semi-fictional, so I am Realjohhnboy. I hope that this now makes sense.

Lexington is a beautiful part of Virginia. A great place to grow up in.

Nice to meet you.

Nice meeting you too RealJohnboy,

You are not too far from where I was born and raised. I remember the Waltons.... was a great fan of it for it's duration.

I didn't realize that Letty was a VA girl too.

Feels almost like a reunion!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 12:38 am
I'm about an hour south of Letty, and according to the news media, the storm is expected to head Northwest of us, skirt along the gulf coast, and hopefully all we will get is wind and rain.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 12:42 am
From what I saw about an hour ago the storm will pass way west of Ft Myers about 2 PM today. I really can't see any reason for Cocoa Beach to be concerned.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 02:27 am
Water, gas and some sterno if you like coffee folks. Plenty of the cereal you like best w/out milk and other effortless eat-in-the-dark-because-you-ran-out-of-battery-food. NOT something I miss about Florida... but if you're gonna do it; do it right.
Bonus hint: Red wine need no be cold in the first place. Idea
Buckle up friends...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 03:45 am
We keep a weather eye on Holmes Beach, Anna Maria Island where a friend of mine has a beachside condo. My favorite part of reading the forecast is the golf index: Sunday, with the winds and rain predicted at 25+ and 100 percent, the golf index is poor, but Monday, with wind down to 10+ and rain at 80 percent, the golf index raises to fair. What hurricane? We have a tee time.

Hunker down, rabbits!

Joe(the easterly winds corrected his slice)Nation
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 07:37 am
According to the news in the panhandle, no ice available, only a few gas stations have any gas left and grocery shelves are nearing empty stage.

Apparently traffic is bumper to bumper heading out of town.

If predictions hold I have time for a shower today & one tomorrow morning. Our water will be shut off between 9 am and 12 noon tomorrow.

That thing is supposed to make landfall here in the panhandle at about 3:00 pm tomorrow (Sunday). At least it should be mostly gone before dark.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:00 am
Take good care of yourself, Magginkat! And let us know how you are doing - if you can...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 02:15 pm
Last year, as I recall, one of you Foridians provided us with a link to to a storm tracking site. I think it was done though a tv station down there. What have you found to be a good site to see where this storm is, etc. Thanks and hunker down.
0 Replies