Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

panzade

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 04:45 pm
BD, I just noticed your location. McDonald was my favorite detective novelist. Did you ever read "Condominium"?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:35 pm
BEAR. the problem with nawlins is that itsa big bowl on this bigass bend and in a swale defined by levees that are served by biggerass pumps. ive been in one of the minor floods when a pass pump died and water just kept seeping in along a levee near Pointe Al Hatche
Im afraid that when the wind starts pushing the gulf into the Mississippi and Chandeleur Sounds and the into Borgne lake and finally, into Pontchartrain, there isnt much room for water to flow around. Itll fill up the bowl that is Nawlins and take a week to pump out.

Didnt we have an abuzzer Julie Kopke (spelling?) who was from nawlins?.

That would be the worst place to be in a storm like this, water will be everywhere and youll be in the middle of a Bay.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:14 pm
It looks like the floods may cause a lot of property damage...I just hope it doesn't claim a lot of lives.
0 Replies

lpmartin

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:09 pm
Ivan
We are searching for a contact number or website to inform evacuees that we have temporary shelter available and also pasture for any livestock that needs to be moved. Does anyone have any information?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:12 pm
I used to live in the Garden District and would drive out to Tulane. I recall that going up Canal, there was a huge dip and some pump swales near the zoo. I hope they got those little beasties the hell out o Dodge. They had a red wolf population in an open woodland habitat. That pack was the one bunch that nobody could catch , they had to trank em to give em pills. I hope the wolves settle down for the capture or they gonna be swimming with all sorts of wildlife coming in from the swamps.
Jeezus, theyre gonna have more gators, mocassins and snapping turtles downtown then ever before. hey lp great, welcome to the boards. Thats a good thing youre doing. Many cattle farmers have stock in the margins and the cheniers , I never thought of the cattle. The water rise will be the worst thing on these critters.

Bless you dude..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:18 pm
Ivan could delay aid to Treasure Coast
By Eve Modzelewski

Pat Moore and Jim Reeder, Palm Beach Post Staff Writers

Friday, September 10, 2004

Stress from five days of nonstop hurricane recovery reached new levels Thursday as help started pulling out of the Treasure Coast to mobilize for another storm barreling toward Florida: powerful Hurricane Ivan.

Fatigued officials in Martin and St. Lucie counties were closely watching Ivan, which is forcing many Keys residents to evacuate and prompted the Miami Dolphins to reschedule Sunday's season opener to Saturday.

They worried about manpower, already stretched thin, the availability of shelters and the impact of evacuees from other counties should Ivan stay on track for landfall in Florida.

"The cards are being reshuffled," St. Lucie County Administrator Doug Anderson said. "We are on our own because of the storm to the south."

Florida Highway Patrol and Miami-Dade County law-enforcement officers in St. Lucie County are returning home or being redeployed to prepare for Ivan.

National Guard troops planned to remain in St. Lucie until Saturday, but there was no guarantee after that.

Similarly, FHP troopers from Monroe County, dispatched to help Martin County direct traffic at intersections without working signals, were sent home to help with the evacuation in the Keys.

The state Division of Forestry also planned to pull its staff of 80 out of Martin County by Saturday.

The division was helping distribute food, water and ice at three Federal Emergency Management Agency relief sites, and county officials were looking for volunteers to replace them.

About 40 National Guard troops remained in Martin County, down from more than 100.

Frances victims who called the Army Corps of Engineers' "Operation Blue Roof" hot line Thursday heard a recorded message: "Due to the approaching threat of Hurricane Ivan, all activities under this program are being suspended."

The program provides tarps to people whose roofs are damaged in disasters.

The fear in both counties was that Ivan would divert attention from the Treasure Coast during the height of recovery efforts.

At the same time, officials worried about another hurricane slamming the battered area.

"Even if it comes up the west coast of Florida or comes right up the center of it, Martin County will be impacted," said Steve Wolfberg, Martin County's emergency-services director.

'Make sure they keep going'

Officials of both counties said they expect to deal with traffic from evacuees leaving counties to the south.

The evacuation order issued from the Keys could extend to other counties as Ivan gets closer, but Martin officials don't want evacuees stopping here.

"We want to make sure they go through Martin County, to make sure they keep going," Wolfberg said.

Anderson said he was trying to contact the American Red Cross and other relief officials about prospects for food, ice and water in case St. Lucie County has to handle Ivan evacuees.

"The projections are not good," Anderson said of Ivan.

He said he asked President Bush about bringing National Guard troops from other states. St. Lucie County is reeling from an estimated $2.5 billion in damage.

"We're trying to tell them to pay attention to St. Lucie County," Anderson said.

Red Cross volunteers in both counties have started preparing shelters for Ivan, ordering more food and hurrying to clean schools that housed thousands seeking refuge from Frances.

"The problem we have is that a lot of our shelters have been compromised," Wolfberg said.

Martin County urged residents to restock their hurricane kits, keep their gas tanks filled and keep hurricane shutters up.

Meanwhile, thousands remained without electricity in both counties Thursday, fraying nerves of hot residents and posing a threat of major sewage problems.

FPL estimated 80,000 customers in St. Lucie County and 48,700 in Martin County had no power.

Officials said they didn't expect it to be completely restored in Martin for another 10 days.

County officials are anxious to restore power to Martin's 155 lift stations, which pump sewage out of homes and other buildings.

The nonfunctioning stations reportedly have been causing sewage to back up in toilets and street manholes. St. Lucie also has sewage backups.

Martin County Commissioner Michael DiTerlizzi spent Thursday morning visiting areas such as Tropical Farms, where pumping stations had been without power since Saturday.

He said he found no sign that sewage had backed up.

DiTerlizzi said he asked FPL to make returning power to those stations a priority "so our public can flush their toilets."

The county is rushing to pump the stations with portable generators and 10 vacuum trucks.

Martin County has 29 generators for the job, but not all can be moved from one station to another.

Until the local station is pumped, management of the Sandpebble Condominiums on Hutchinson Island is taking no chances. The estimated 20 remaining residents of the 242-unit complex have been asked not to flush toilets until power returns.

Even as Ivan hampered recovery efforts, some progress was being made on the Treasure Coast.

About 50 percent of Martin County's traffic lights were working by noon Thursday, with more being restored by generator power every few hours.

Martin County Health Department officials said damage-assessment teams were inspecting nursing homes where residents have been housed without power for days.

Electricity was restored to the Stuart Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, but the Sandpiper Cluster remained without power.

Officials said 50 percent of Martin County's citrus trees were on the ground and 75 percent of the county's pastures were under water.

Tents or RVs proposed

Agencies were planning new measures to help residents.

For St. Lucie County residents whose homes are uninhabitable after Frances, FEMA has proposed delivering RVs and pop-up campers that people could park in their front yards, but they are holding off until they see what Ivan does.

Anderson didn't embrace the idea.

"We are not going to have a tent city in St. Lucie County," he said.

With Ivan threatening to bring more rainfall to the region, state water-management officials are growing wary about Lake Okeechobee. Water levels are normal, but flooding could become a problem if the region gets more wet weather.

Because of recent drought conditions in South Florida, Thursday's water level was at 14.6 feet, about normal for this time in the rainy season, according to South Florida Water Management District officials.

But because of excess water levels in canals and other bodies of water from Hurricanes Frances and Charley, "if we get another 8-10 inches of rainfall, we'll probably see homes flooded," said Bob Howard, district operations director.

"Basically, the water system is full in many areas of South Florida," Howard said. "Palm Beach County, Martin and St. Lucie counties have taken on a lot of water."

District workers are toiling around the clock making "the maximum safe releases" from the chain of lakes and Lake Okeechobee into area rivers and streams that flow into the Atlantic.

"That does not mean that we have opened the gates and are discharging all the water we can," Howard said. "I've gotten in trouble in the past saying maximum discharge. We're not doing maximum discharge. We are taking into account conditions up- and downstream to help the water levels recede. There is still a lot of water in the system."

The last thing Treasure Coast residents wanted to think about Thursday was another bout of hurricane conditions.

Ivan was not a name to be throwing around.

"I've been watching it on TV, and I don't like it," said Don Johnson, a South Hutchinson Island resident.

With the heat bearing down on them Thursday, Johnson and his neighbor Mike Wadington were struggling with what Frances had left.

"It ain't that great, but it's my home," Johnson, 56, said of his battered trailer in the Causeway Mobile Home Park.

There is no electricity or water on the island. The days are about survival.

Wadington, 57, gestured to the homes scattered on the street.

"If the National Guard leaves us, we're going to fend for ourselves," he said.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:25 pm
Good luck to all the Gulf residents...may the flooding and damage be minimal.
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 07:50 pm
Not looking good for N.O. or the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and even worse for Alabama and the west Florida panhandle. Hotels and shelters in northeast Miss., where I live, are packed full of evacuees.

What a helluva season.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 10:49 pm
2 killed in Florida as Ivan comes ashore

Quote:
Two people in Florida were killed when the outer edge of Hurricane Ivan bashed four southeastern states with strong winds and pounding waves Wednesday.

As of 11 p.m. ET, the storm was centered 65 miles (104 kilometers) south of the Alabama coast and moving north about 12 mph (19 kph), according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami. It should continue that path for the next 24 hours, forecasters said.

The center said Ivan had sustained winds of 135 mph (215 kph), making it a Category 4 storm on the Saffir-Simpson scale.

The storm is expected to drive a 10 to 16-foot storm surge onshore as it hits, the hurricane center said.

Forecasters said swells in the center of the storm have measured 50 feet.

Hurricane-force winds extended as far as 105 miles (168 kilometers) from the center and tropical storm-force winds extended 290 miles (464 kilometers).

The hurricane center predicted the eye of Ivan will make landfall across Mobile Bay in Alabama early Thursday.

Ivan will be the biggest hurricane to hit the Mobile area since Frederic devastated the region in September 1979, and it "is not showing any signs of weakening whatsoever," said Max Mayfield, director of the hurricane center.

"This will cause extreme damage and if we're not careful, loss of life," Mayfield said.

Tornadoes killed two people in Panama City Beach about 4 p.m. (5 p.m. ET), according to a Bay County spokeswoman.

Tornadoes in southwestern Georgia injured a truck driver and destroyed two empty mobile homes, said a sheriff's department spokesman in Early County.

Nearly 2 million residents of coastal Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and the Florida Panhandle have been ordered to evacuate, state officials said.

About 1.2 million people live in affected parishes in Louisiana, according to Lt. Col. Pete Schneider of the Louisiana Office of Emergency Preparedness. At least 33 shelters have opened in the state for displaced residents, but they are full and no hotels have vacancies, he said.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said President Bush spoke Wednesday morning to the governors of Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida about Ivan and federal preparations for aid.

full report

Be safe!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:31 am
Thok, I wasn't angry, I just wanted to pull your leg a little! Try to read the books by John D. McDonald, they're really good! Takes a lot more to make me angry Very Happy

Panzade, no I still haven't read Condomium, gotta see if I can find it in Colorado, amazon.de doesn't have it, I'm sure... :-(

A big uhoh in Nawlins... Such a beautiful city... On my first trip to the States I spent 5 days in Nawlins, and I was really impressed by the mix of architecture left behind by the different people living there. My best memory was when this one waiter asked me if I wanted to see their wine-cellar... And we went up three stories!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:44 am
Thok wrote:
< cynical, sarcastical and ironical at the same time- on >
The folks suffer, that Bush has not verify the Kyoto-protocol.
<off>

valid,again.
Ivan is not yet deduct, kills at least 8 peoples in Florida, but already the next hurricane appears: Jeanne

Jeanne becomes a hurricane,the 6th in this season, as it hits Dominican Republic and kills at least 2

Quote:
Now a hurricane, Jeanne struck the eastern tip of the Dominican Republic this morning after killing at least two people in Puerto Rico and dropping voluminous rain that triggered sweeping floods.

Forecasters said Jeanne became the sixth hurricane of this active and deadly hurricane season at 9 a.m. today. Its winds were measured at 80 mph.

It was expected to move through the Bahamas, approaching Nassau early Sunday as a Category 2 hurricane and coming uncomfortably close to South Florida. Forecasters said it might veer north just before reaching the mainland, but that was uncertain.

Hurricane watches and warnings covered much of the Dominican Republic, the Turks and Caicos islands and the southeastern Bahamas.

''Interests elsewhere in the Bahamas should monitor the progress of Jeanne,'' said forecaster Lixion Avila of the National Hurricane Center in West Miami-Dade County.

He warned residents of the Dominican Republic to expect nine to 13 inches of rain that could cause life-threatening floods and mudslides.

''Several locations across Puerto Rico have already received more than a foot of rain, including the islands of Culebra and Vieques, with Naguabo in the eastern portion of the island having received more than 20 inches of rain,'' Avila said.

He said many rivers in Puerto Rico already are above flood stage and another five to 10 inches of rain could fall there today.

The storm was blamed for the death of a woman in the southeastern town of Yabucoa and a man in Vega Baja on the northern coast.

Many homes were flooded and many roads were blocked by floods and debris. Power was out in many parts of the island.

Link
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 08:48 am
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/strm11_strike_720x486.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 10:24 am
Just saw some coverage of the tornadoes that have hit the Pensacola area. A big, ole yikes from here Shocked
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:45 am
Ivan was a multimedia production; wind, rain, tornadoes, thunder storms, and who knows what else.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 11:50 am
I don't know if you folks remember WilliamHenry111, but he lives in Alabama, and I'm concerned.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:12 pm
Just went into the lunchroom to get some tea. CNN's on - another storm is forming on the coast of Africa - following Jeanne! Shocked
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:15 pm
Hey. I'm getting ready to kill the messenger. Razz

seriously, this is gettin' spooky.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:16 pm
Seriously.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:18 pm
Well, it all comes from waves from Africa. I say we build a large fence, just to the West of Nigeria, and make a huge wave pool. It could be a fine tourist attraction.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:20 pm
Great, Jes....and cage The Canary Islands.. Very Happy
0 Replies