Ivan! Jeanne! & Karl & Dennis The Menace & Katrina

Thok

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:59 pm
Yes, but still a explosive situation.
0 Replies

Smartsux

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:09 pm
One of my best friends, who's spending her first hurricane season in Florida, is staying in a motel right now. They didn't think till too late to board up their house, or anchor their boat. Sad

Prayers, please, people!

Or at least crossed fingers?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 06:45 pm
At least Onxyelle is not on the coast. El Diablo is.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 03:49 am
10 death because of the hurrican and

Kennedy Space Center damaged

Quote:
Hurricane Frances did more damage to the Kennedy Space Center than Hurricane Charley did three weeks ago.

In fact, the hurricane did more damage than any other storm in history, tearing an estimated 1,000 exterior panels from a giant building where spaceships are assembled.

No space shuttles were inside the 525-foot-high building. But center director James Kennedy said he feared the damage could set back NASA's effort to resume shuttle launches next spring.

The holes left by the missing panels created 40,000 square feet of "open window" on two sides of the building.

It's too soon to estimate the amount of damage in dollars but Frances is expected to cost NASA far more than Charley, which did $700,000 in damage when it came through the area.

Workers have yet to inspect the two shuttle launch pads located right on the beach.

The storm's aftermath may mean a potential blow to NASA's return-to-flight effort because part of the roof came off the building where the shuttles' thermal tiles are made.

The space center remains evacuated and is still without power or phone service. 14,000 employees were urged to stay home Tuesday as well.

Link
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:24 am
Didn't the eye go right over Panzade and Occom down by the big lake??

Anxious to hear they are okay.

Can't believe people are boarding in the streets. (news yesterday) I'm not sure I'd be so anxious to step into the water.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 04:52 am
Well, all in all, I ended up pretty lucky. We DID discover a place where the builders did not put enough caulking around some window frames. Shocked My couch in the den got a little wet.

FYI- We have some caulking called GE silicone II (not I, which is a lesser product) We were able to fix the leak while the area was still wet, and water was hitting it. (Wiped it off first), and it held.

All in all, I thinkl that I ended up lucky. There was a lot of flooding in Tampa, and many people still have no power.

www.tbo.com
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 06:27 am
Phoenix, it's so to hear that you are ok and nothing serious happened to your home. That's very good news.

I am still worried about Panzade and O'Bill...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:33 am
Has Letty checked in yet?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:50 am
I hope we will hear from everyone before the end of the week.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:10 am
Mikey, it's a relief that you were able to contact Misti and Rae. Now I'll be on pins and needles waiting to hear from Letty, Panzade and Obill.

Phoenix, wonderful to hear from you; it's great that you had so little damage.

If Ivan turns out to be another powerful storm the damage might be enormous. With the ground already saturated, trees will be uprooted with ease and already weakened structures will barely stand a chance to remain standing.

Isn't it strange that hearing of a horrible catastrophe in another part of the world is horrible but when you actually know people who are in immediate danger, the news takes on far greater importance and cause for worry.

Hoping to hear from the others as soon as possible. My thoughts are with you all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:24 am
The news this morning stated that six million people had lost power in Florida, and some three million are still without electricity. It may be a while before we hear from them.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:42 am
i just talked to letty at home. she's fine.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:08 am
That good to hear, that leaves Panzade, O'Bill and Onxyelle. Has anyone heard from them?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:17 am
Acquiunk wrote:
That good to hear, that leaves Panzade, O'Bill and Onxyelle. Has anyone heard from them?

not yet, probably because of that:

Setanta wrote:
The news this morning stated that six million people had lost power in Florida, and some three million are still without electricity. It may be a while before we hear from them.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:27 am
Quote:
that leaves Panzade, O'Bill and Onxyelle. Has anyone heard from them?

onyxelle checked in this morning...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:35 am
Whew, good.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:57 am
btw, Ivan threatens already Trinidad.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:15 pm
I'm worried about my buddies Bill and Panzade.....wish we'd hear something......
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:16 pm
I'm worried about my buddies Bill and Panzade.....wish we'd hear something......
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 08:47 pm
My sister-in-law called earlier tonight from Palm Beach. Still no electric but her trailer was completely unscathed.
0 Replies