Why Obamacare is a Failure

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 09:41 am
@maporsche,
https://berniesanders.com/issues/medicare-for-all/

Mr. Sanders wants more people covered

Quote:
[It has been the goal of Democrats since Franklin D. Roosevelt to create a universal health care system guaranteeing health care to all people. Every other major industrialized nation has done so. It is time for this country to join them and fulfill the legacy of Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Lyndon B. Johnson and other great Democrats.

The Affordable Care Act was a critically important step towards the goal of universal health care. Thanks to the ACA, more than 17 million Americans have gained health insurance. Millions of low-income Americans have coverage through expanded eligibility for Medicaid that now exists in 31 states. Young adults can stay on their parents’ health plans until they’re 26. All Americans can benefit from increased protections against lifetime coverage limits and exclusion from coverage because of pre-existing conditions. Bernie was on the U.S. Senate committee that helped write the ACA.

But as we move forward, we must build upon the success of the ACA to achieve the goal of universal health care. Twenty-nine million Americans today still do not have health insurance and millions more are underinsured and cannot afford the high copayments and deductibles charged by private health insurance companies that put profits before people./quote]
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 10:12 am
@maporsche,
I should be able to afford it.

I just got off the phone with them actually. They "bundled" AD&D with my insurance although I didn't ask or authorize it. I saw a withdrawal amount I didn't expect and called.

I can't believe they can get away with that.
maporsche

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 10:40 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I just got off the phone with them actually. They "bundled" AD&D with my insurance although I didn't ask or authorize it. I saw a withdrawal amount I didn't expect and called.

What % of your income goes to health insurance?
Baldimo

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 11:01 am
@maporsche,
Should it matter what %? Healthcare was suppose to be cheaper and we were told we would see a savings of $2500 a year. The first year of the ACA I saw my premiums go up about that much and they have continued to rise. I saw not 1$ of savings from the ACA. In fact I saw a loss of coverage as other items of coverage that I didn't need, birth control, were put into my plans and other things like EAP, which provided free visits to mental health professionals while you shopped for the right one, went away.

maporsche

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 11:22 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Should it matter what %? Healthcare was suppose to be cheaper and we were told we would see a savings of $2500 a year. The first year of the ACA I saw my premiums go up about that much and they have continued to rise. I saw not 1$ of savings from the ACA. In fact I saw a loss of coverage as other items of coverage that I didn't need, birth control, were put into my plans and other things like EAP, which provided free visits to mental health professionals while you shopped for the right one, went away.

Cheaper for some, not for all. No one said that healthcare would be cheaper for everyone.

And the fact is that total healthcare cost increases have slowed down from the 10%+/year before Obamacare.

Not to mention the little fact that we are a record low uninsured levels. You know, that doesn't mean anything.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 11:43 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Cheaper for some, not for all. No one said that healthcare would be cheaper for everyone.

How easy you guys forget the very words said by Obama over and over and over again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o65vMUk5so

Cheaper for some seems like you are parsing yours and Obama words. He said it again and again that the ACA would lower the "average families", "typical family" by $2500 a year. I don't know a single family who has saved $2500 a year on insurance costs. Everyone I know has higher insurance. I have an average family, I have a typical family and no savings.

Quote:
And the fact is that total healthcare cost increases have slowed down from the 10%+/year before Obamacare.

Bullshit! How do you explain the admin coming out in the last few days and saying the average increase for next year will be 25%? Maybe if you narrow it down to an average across the country it might be that low but some plans in the exchanges have seen higher than 10% increases.

Quote:
Not to mention the little fact that we are a record low uninsured levels. You know, that doesn't mean anything.

It doesn't mean much if the cost to insure people continues to grow. What you and the left claim as a success and a major success was only one small portion of the ACA. In fact the #'s of insured is much lower then it was setup to be. In fact only about 12 million people have coverage thru the exchanges and they expected that # to be closer the 20 million you guys mention. The total # you guys talk about is the exchanges and medicaid combined. The problem with this is a lack of money for the exchanges to "spread the cost" as medicaid is free and people pay nothing. The ACA is loosing money and it is not working.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 03:40 pm
@maporsche,
There's a good article that suggests Obama should sign the GOP repeal to find out how angry those people will be in losing their health care. It'll be fun to watch the GOP scramble to find a replacement they claim is much better.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 03:44 pm
@Baldimo,
1) "Everyone I know" is not a good sample size. For example, I don't know a single person who uses Obamacare. Should I assume that means no one uses Obamacare.

2) He said "up to $2500" per year. Watch your video again.

3) The percentage increase on all healthcare nationwide has slowed it's growth. It was over 10% PER YEAR before Obamacare. It's now around 4-5%. FACT

4) Increasing medicaid was part of Obamacare. So was allowing children to stay on their parent's healthcare. So was eliminating the pre-existing conditions clauses.

Obamacare is not perfect, but it's a **** TON better than what we had. And a **** TON better than anything the Republicans have put together.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 03:48 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Lash wrote:

What % of your income goes to health insurance?

[crickets]
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 04:08 am
@maporsche,
I don't pay any health insurance. I'm not a bloody idiot.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 07:39 am
@maporsche,
Do you really think I'm going to divulge that degree of personal information?
maporsche

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:29 am
@Lash,
Personal information??

"x% of my income goes to healthcare" is hardly personal information.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:38 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The fact that I am forced by law to pay it anyway IS the fault of the Unaffordable CA.

Massachusetts State law requires residents to have health insurance. Children can be covered on their parent's health insurance.

Additionally, college students enrolled in college programs at 50% time or more must be covered by a health insurance plan. Colleges usually offer the students an affordable health insurance plan and students not covered by a plan are dismissed from the colleges.
Miller

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 10:42 am
@Miller,
Massachusetts State law is not the result of the ACA. As far as I know, Mass State law was in effect before the ACA was enacted.
maporsche

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 12:15 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Massachusetts State law is not the result of the ACA. As far as I know, Mass State law was in effect before the ACA was enacted.

She lives in Mass????!!

Hahaha.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 12:37 pm
@Miller,
If my memory serves, I think our college also had the same rules on having health insurance.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 02:04 pm
@Miller,
Mass is a pretty proper state. When my daughter lived there, ins was affordable, and rules/laws re college were amenable.
0 Replies

VladGets

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 03:27 am
@edgarblythe,
it's impossible
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 06:08 am
Obamacare is a failure because US of A...
izzythepush

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2016 07:32 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Bang on.