Illegal Immigration is a crime!

Baldimo

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 03:51 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
Don't you notice, anti-immigrationists, that there is plenty of room to spare in America? -- Or that immigrants usually do the jobs that you would spit on?

In a nation of immigrants, who is entitled to shut the door on whom?

We as US citizens are allowed to close the door; it is our country after all. Who are you to say anyone can come in? People such as you always want to cloud the issue with making it seem like people don't want anyone coming in. That isn't the case. We just want the people that do enter do to so legally and nothing else. There are over 10 million illegal aliens in the country as we speak and no slow down can be seen. What these people are doing is breaking the law of our land and there are no excuses for it.

I know how to solve the job issue. We take all the homeless people and put them to work doing all the jobs that illegals do now. If there still aren't enough people then we take the people on welfare and put them to work. There isn't a reason why people who live here shouldn't have some sort f a job. If they don't wish to do such work then that is to bad, we are supporting a nation of people who are lazy and the place to start would be those jobs that illegals have now. It is our country and we call the shots, not anyone else.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:11 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
Don't you notice, anti-immigrationists, that there is plenty of room to spare in America? -- Or that immigrants usually do the jobs that you would spit on?

In a nation of immigrants, who is entitled to shut the door on whom?

If you're referring to the wide open spaces here in the US, yes we have plenty of room. I think, though, that history probably shows many illegals prefer the already crowded cities and metropolitan areas. Much of the "open spaces" of America are farmland (food production for us and other countries), uninhabitable, or set aside as national parks and forests.

As far as the jobs that you say we would spit on...before the Immigration Bill was passed in 1965, we were doing these jobs. And most likely would do them now if paid a decent wage and benefits and weren't competing with illegal aliens.

This country does not frown on legal immigration and correct me if I'm wrong, but we shut the door on very few...legally.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:13 pm
Agreed JW but could you expound on how the 1965 Immigration Bill forced Americans out of menial labor.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:18 pm
Panzade - just that if history serves me, there was a period of some 40-odd years prior to 1965 when there was very little immigration and I believe even a period of emigration out of the US.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:33 pm
panzade wrote:
You misunderstood Joe

that's why I asked :wink:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:33 pm
I think that this country was founded by illegal immigrants, but aside from that, does anyone know how much money a foreign citizen needs to come to this country as a legal resident?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:36 pm
Send them to Canada, we'll give them student Visas and false passports, and train them to be terrorists.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:55 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I think that this country was founded by illegal immigrants, but aside from that, does anyone know how much money a foreign citizen needs to come to this country as a legal resident?

I don't know about your family but my family came here legally in the early 1900's. They didn't own a thing and never received handouts from the govt. My grandfather died a millionaire because of hard work and dedication. He didn't have a need his own culture because they came to the US to become Americans not Italian-Americans. They assimilated into American culture and prospered because of it. The same can't be said for people that come here today. With bi-lingual classes immigrant children are graduating high school barely speaking English and this hinders them in society. If you can't speak the language then you will not prosper.

How many illegal aliens come here and receive govt aid? I'm willing to bet there are a higher number of them then we are willing to admit. Did you know that Mexican immigrants legal and illegal sent home about 13 billion dollars last year? When they look into the dollar amount given through govt programs to these aliens it was about the same #. We should kick these people out of the US and make them seek help from their own countries who are responsible for them. It isn't the job of my taxes to pay for their schooling and health care. If they don't have it in their own country then that is to bad, because it isn't my job nor is it the job of my govt.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 04:57 pm
Actually, Canada is rather cold blooded about allowing immigrants. I remember a Sudanese warlord escaped into Canada because he had the required $250,000 and even though he had been charged in some atrocities
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:23 pm
bigotry by any other name (ethnocentrism) is bigotry.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:25 pm
Name calling seems so below you. But I guess I could be wrong. I love to way you don't ever want to debate the tough issues but attack the debater. It is childish. Sorry I take that back, I don't want to insult children.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:27 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
This nation was built by emigrants. I oppose the criminalization of folks who want to come here - especially since I know most are working folks seeking a better life.

There is nothing unusual or particularly sinister about immigration laws.

Every country has a right to control its borders, and, historically, the United States has been among the most welcoming of nations. At some point there's no more room at the Inn.

Immigration becomes unhealthy for a country when the immigrants are unable to rise above the lower economic status that is the starting point for virtually every wave of immigration throughout the world. A permanent under class with its own language; its own starkly distinctive culture is a fertile garden in which to grow all sorts of societal ills.

In order to prevent this from happening, two things must happen:

1) The immigrants must assimilate into the larger culture
2) The larger culture must accept the immigrants efforts to assimilate.

Of the two requirements, the first appears to be problematic, not because this wave of immigrants is any more proud of their culture or insular in nature than their predecessors, but because the larger culture is less emphatic in its demand for assimilation that it has been in the past, and in some segments, perversely encouraging the immigrants to remain unassimilated.

Assimilation doesn't mean abandoning one's original culture, and every assimilated group in this country has made its mark on and helped reshape the larger culture, and the same can be so with Latinos.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:37 pm
Baldimo,

You obviously don't know much about your heritage or the experience of you anscestors.

There were people just like you in the 1900's who felt the same way about your grandfather, that you feel about Mexicans. Not much has changed.

Your claim about the "assimilation" of Italians into America is ignorant to the point of lunacy. Have you heard of the "Knights of Columbus". Have you noticed how many cities have "Little Italy's". There are places in my city where English is not heard since everyone still speaks Italian.

In the 1900's Italians bound together (mostly because they faced the same sort of prejudice you display today) in very tight knit communities. They helped each other as Italians often getting each other jobs, housing et cetera.

Even you claim about "handouts" is ill-informed. Are you saying that your family didn't take advantage of public education, etc. If they were as poor as you imply, it is certain that they received more than they paid in taxes. I am sure they paid their taxes, but immigrants (even "illegals") do that today.

Your posts show the worst kind of hypocrisy. The Italians faced horrible prejudice. The things you say about the Mexicans now are the same things they said about Italians.

Do you really feel it is a good thing that you have give up your Italian heritage? You don't know you own history and you haven't figured out that in a country of immigrants the Italian culture of your family has given a lot to this nation-- not by assimilating-- but by being Italian.

How sad,

You lost what it means to be Italian... and you still don't know what it means to be American.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:39 pm
Baldimo wrote:
I don't know about your family but my family came here legally in the early 1900's. They didn't own a thing and never received handouts from the govt. My grandfather died a millionaire because of hard work and dedication. He didn't have a need his own culture because they came to the US to become Americans not Italian-Americans. They assimilated into American culture and prospered because of it. The same can't be said for people that come here today. With bi-lingual classes immigrant children are graduating high school barely speaking English and this hinders them in society. If you can't speak the language then you will not prosper.

I think what FreeDuck may have meant (quack if I'm mistaken) is that sailing over there and violently nabbing the land from the natives was morally questionable.

Not all countries are capable of taking responsibility of their own citizens, whereas the USA has the potential to accomodate many more citizens, being very big and very rich. So it's unfair to send immigrants back home and just expect them to be taken care of.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:48 pm
IMO Latinos assimilate at the same speed as Poles and Italians did early in the 20th cent. Maybe even faster given the help they recieve from our local Govts. Surely a vast majority of second generation Latinos are totally bi-lingual, just as the Poles and Germans and Italians are today.

The Cuban influx into Miami can either be touted as underlining your point or contradicting it , depending on one's stance. But I'm eyewitness to the tremendous upsurge of prestige and economic vitality the Latinos have brought to this city.

Off point I know. The subject is illegal immigration. It has to be outlawed I think.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:52 pm
If it's illegal, isn't it already outlawed?? Confused

I think rather than thinking about it in terms of whether immigrants are breaking the law you should think about it in terms of whether they are doing anything wrong and whether they have a right to live and work in your country. Laws are not always appropriate, and I, being English, don't know what the laws are over there, so it's difficult to say whether I think illegal immigration is okay or not. Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:54 pm
dyslexia wrote:
bigotry by any other name (ethnocentrism) is bigotry.

Well said, Dys, well said.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 05:58 pm
Things are not all peaches and cream. Most illegals come to America to, surprise, work.

Baldimo, the last person who had a mainstream plan of forcing people to work was Hitler.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 06:00 pm
Bloody right it's not ok in the UK!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 06:02 pm
well yeah drom but Mussolini made the trains run on time.
0 Replies