Toddlers Have Already Shot 23 People This Year And It’s Only May

Miller

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 06:11 pm
Olivier5 wrote:

You are a liar ..

This comment goes against Robert's rules. Do you know that? Well, now you do.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 06:50 pm
@Miller,
I lived in gang territory for years, and a famous woman was shot on my street/robbery. I was sometimes alone at night in a large old building. I locked the door. The gangs were not interested in me/us. Once my dog ran away (well, SandPaw ran away many times, born on the railroad tracks as he was) and our place had no secure fencing, just bad fencing. I'd already paid what was left of my salary to fix more immediate stuff. The landlord and his girlfriend were, ah, different. This particular time SandPaw was gone I drove all around asking if anyone had seen my dog. I had antennae for trouble by then but people treated me well.

I'm not sure if that was the time the Fire Station called, or the guys a the gay party a bunch of blocks south called. I enjoyed fetching him each of those times.
I was a poster for dog tags being a good idea.

Knives under your pillow?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 06:55 pm
@Miller,
I hope not, as many of us have similar views, in this case - but if one word will douse a poster, a lot of us will be out of here.
dlowan

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:29 pm
@ossobuco,
I am thinking that toddler shootings are a new way of culling the weaker (intellectually) members of the herd.

Who would ever have thought that natural selection might work its magic via gun toting toddlers!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:48 pm
@dlowan,
The thing is, it is the shooters of toddlers that are the problemo, and all that is complex in origin re even thinking of fixing, in that they are already in a mess. There have been good efforts that I once knew about but forget, but difficulties subsume.

Oddly, I wonder if the odd US football player from the neighborhoods can help.
Not my expertise.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 09:15 pm
@dlowan,
I reread and get your point, but I don't think it's reality, but a product of reality.
dlowan

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 10:38 pm
@ossobuco,
What?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 10:49 pm
@dlowan,
I take it that the shooters don't mean to cull the weak as a generalization, but I know you know that. Perhaps sometimes. Culling rivals, yes.

The people who don't help places with no transportation or few if any grocery stores and difficulty getting jobs do end up culled by the rest of the city.
I get that.
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 01:36 am
@oralloy,
Zimmerman gun auction update:

The new auction of the gun will go live this morning 9AM eastern time.

The relisted auction has a starting bid of $100,000 and a "buy it now" price of $500,000.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 03:33 am
@ossobuco,
I am saying that being stupid enough not to keep your gun away from your toddler and therefore getting shot by them is a new means of natural selection in that the stupid parent may be killed and thus unable to,reproduce again, to the betterment of the human species.

It's black humour
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 05:35 am
@Olivier5,
Calling someone a liar just because you don't agree with them is a problem.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 06:51 am

These Black Parents Were Charged When Toddlers Shot Themselves—But These White Parents Weren't

Two young boys died within a week of one another last month after finding a parent’s gun.
By Travis Gettys / Raw Story
May 14, 2016

Kanisha Shelton, left, and David and Haley Cole, right.
Photo Credit: Screenshot

Two young boys — ages 2 and 3 years old — died within a week of one another last month after finding a parent’s gun stashed in a bag and then accidentally shooting themselves.

Kiyan Shelton Enoch, 2, fatally shot himself April 20 with his mother’s gun, which he found in her purse. Holston Cole, 3, found a gun in his father’s backpack and fatally shot himself April 26.

Their cases attracted national attention, because the two boys were among four toddlers who shot and killed themselves that week — and among 23 toddlers who’d fatally shot themselves or someone else since Jan. 1.

If that seems like a lot, that’s because it is.

The two boys’ deaths were tragically similar — but the outcome for their parents was very different.

As blogger David Waldman, who tracks gun violence and accidental shootings for Daily Kos, pointed out, one parent was charged while the other boy’s parents were not.

Kiyan’s mother, Kanisha Shelton, was charged Tuesdaywith a felony count of neglect of a dependent resulting in death, while authorities announced Thursday that Holston’s parents, David and Haley Cole, would not be charged in their son’s death.

The 23-year-old Shelton is black, and the Coles are white.
Comparing those two cases is somewhat problematic, because Indiana — where Shelton lives — and Georgia — where the Coles live — have very different gun laws.

Indiana allows charges for parents whose children find guns and injure or kill themselves or someone else, while Georgia has no laws in place requiring safe storage of firearms.

Georgia law permits criminal charges for adults who intentionally or knowingly provide a child access to a handgun, but some adults have been charged there in recent months in connection with a child’s accidental firearms death.

White parents appear more likely to escape charges than black parents.

Demarqo Smith, who is black, was charged with involuntary manslaughter and reckless conduct after his 6-year-old daughter, Ja’Mecca, found a loaded gun between two sofa cushions in her family’s Atlanta apartment.

Christopher Ashkins, who is also black, was charged in November with second-degree child cruelty, possession of a gun by a convicted felon and drug possession after his girlfriend’s 2-year-old son found his handgun and fatally shot himself.

The 37-year-old Ashkins, who was on parole for cocaine-related charges, was not home when Jayden Clay accidentally shot himself in the face at his family’s Atlanta apartment.

Grant Dennington, who is white, was not charged after his 2-year-old son found the handgun he’d placed on the bed Oct. 27 while using the restroom and fatally shot himself in an Atlanta suburb.

“We’re talking a minute or two,” said Acworth Police Chief Wayne Dennard, who described the father as a responsible gun owner. “We spent a lot of time talking to the dad, interviewing other family members. This was not routine on his part. He always took the necessary precautions.”

Two white parents in Indiana face similar charges to Shelton after their 3-year-old son pulled a loaded gun from a kitchen counter in December and shot himself in the head.

Nicholas Gulling, 27, was charged with neglect of a dependent causing death, and Sandra Tomich, 35, was charged with neglect of a dependent.

Travis Gettys is an editor for Raw Story.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 09:26 am
@ossobuco,
edit - I meant "the people who don't get help in places"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 09:27 am
@dlowan,
Ah, I get you. I was off on a different thought track.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 09:42 am
I pm'd you. Not sure you will see the Hamster with the change in your user name.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 05:17 am
'My sister shot herself': 5-year-old dies playing with father’s unsecured handgun
Source: Washington Post

“The father said he was taking a shower when he heard a gunshot,” Lt. Greg Baker of the St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff’s Office told NBC affiliate WDSU. “He got out of the shower, and that’s when he discovered that his daughter had accidentally shot herself.”

Five-year-old Haley Moore had been playing with her father’s handgun, police said. Moore told investigators that he had left his .45-caliber gun out on a table in the home, the station reported.

Baker told the station that the bullet entered Haley’s right chest and exited under her left arm.

So far in 2016, at least 94 children younger than 18 have picked up a firearm and accidentally shot themselves or someone else, according to data from Everytown for Gun Safety, a gun-control group funded by former New York mayor Michael Bloomberg. The advocacy group, which compiles shooting data using news reports, found that 278 such shootings occurred in 2015.

Read more: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/my-sister-shot-herself-5-year-old-dies-playing-with-father%e2%80%99s-unsecured-handgun/ar-BBtkLRH?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=iehp
0 Replies