Toddlers Have Already Shot 23 People This Year And It’s Only May

Olivier5

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:37 am
@revelette2,
I don't know what the gun laws are in Italy.

It seems a more benevolent society than France, ie people are nicer to one another in general and there is very little violence.

But under the surface, the mafia. "Mafia Capitale" is the name of an ever widening scandal related to mafia and the Rome municipality. It's on the news everyday.

A few months back we lended a hefty sum to a couple of friends. He owns a restaurant. They told us they absolutely had to pay these taxes... but they looked so scared that we think they are being fleeced by the mafia.

revelette2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:41 am
@Olivier5,
So, the mafia is real in Italy? I thought maybe that was just pure stereotyping. I don't know any Italians personally, but from on TV they seems a happy family (real families) oriented bunch.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:49 am
@revelette2,
Family and food oriented. They can speak forever of what they've eaten last night and what they gona cook tonight. The French don't even start to compare with the italians, food-obsession-wise.

And the different mafias are, well, family businesses in the end.

Last weekend doing the groceries i found pasta that's produced "on land free from the mafia". I bought a kg... Eat to fight the mafia. Only the Italians could come up with this plan...
revelette2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:55 am
@Olivier5,
Huh, that is odd. Here we have food being billed as "farm produced" or organic as a selling point.

Anyway, I am just saying guns are a part of our (US) cultural, but, we can make them safer and we must. We just need to find a better spokesperson who emphasis making guns safer does not mean taking guns away.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 07:04 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Toddlers Have Already Shot 23 People This Year And It’s Only May

natural selection at work

I finally understand why the TSA profiles children under 5.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 07:11 am
@revelette2,
At the time your forefathers came they were fleeing but not always for something you could shoot. It was hunger, no freedom, powerty and also wars.
At that time also our forefathers had guns, but did just what they needed for hunting.
The Americans hord all kind of guns, but few are hunters and evern fewer know how to handle a gun. A lot of guns are in the hands of paranoyed people.
The Europeans have over the years changed the laws regarding guns.
Blickers

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 10:33 am
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
We have violent neighborhoods where life is much more like the conditions in an impoverished country. Most of the homicides are in those neighborhoods.

Every country has it's immigrants, every country has it's tough neighborhoods. I will allow that we have a few more of those tough neighborhoods than some others, so we will always have a somewhat higher violence and murder rate. But not 400% higher, which is what it is.
Blickers

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 10:46 am
@Linkat,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Not all the countries mentioned in the article are poverty-stricken . Also the US has many poverty-stricken areas of the country. The point the article was making was it isn't so cut and dry to compare the US to just a select pickings of other countries.

And the article is wrong. The Mises Institute is a conservative biased organization and this report they did wants desperately to have the US stop comparing the itself to all the other developed countries in the world when it comes to murder. Even though we rightfully compare ourselves to all the other developed countries in the world in our other aspects, like education, health, life expectancy, etc. The Mises Institute wants us to make an exception for murder because they are against gun control. It is a cut and dried attempt to bias the numbers on their part.

As for having poverty stricken areas, so do most countries. The point is, ON AVERAGE, the US is one of the wealthiest countries in the world. 56% of our Food Stamp recipients, who are the bottom seventh of the country income wise, drive their car to buy their food. And many of these Food Stamp recipients are too elderly or disabled to drive-so the number of able bodied Food Stamp recipients who have a car to drive is even higher. I'm not saying the car is late model or might not have a few dents here and there, but they are driving, and they are the poorest one seventh of the US population. That's pretty damn wealthy compared to most of the rest of the world. We compare ourselves to the other wealthy, developed countries in the standard of living measurements, I don't see where the Mises Institute gets off deciding to abandon that so they can make the US murder rate not look so bad.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 10:52 am
the answer is obvious

want a gun?

cool

http://www.cruise.co.uk/news/wp-content/uploads/sites/131/2015/07/Adult-only.jpg
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 10:54 am
@Linkat,
Quote Linkat:
Quote:
There were other reasons also that the countries you mention have greater differences than the US than diversity . ..still the US is much more diverse than France and England.

Here is the list of the top countries with foreign born populations. The US is a little bit higher than the UK, but not by much. And the US murder rate is over 4 times higher than the UK rate.

Australia 23.6 %
Switzerland 23.5 %
New Zealand 18.8 %
Canada 18.0%
Austria 13.0%
Germany 12.9 %
United States 12.8%
Sweden 12.2%
Belgium 11.4 %
Ireland 11.0%
Netherlands 10.6%
United Kingdom 9.3%
Norway 7.8%
Portugal 6.7%
Denmark 6.3 %
Czech Republic4.9%
Slovak Republic3.9%
Finland 3.2%
Hungary 3.2%

The US has 12.8% percent foreign born population, the UK has 9.3%. But the US has 4 times the murders committed. Most of the UK's foreign born population is from former colonies, which are poor and many live in tough neighborhoods. But anybody can't own a handgun in the UK.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 10:54 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

So, the mafia is real in Italy?

it's a real thing in Canada

there are mob murders reported fairly regularly

our former next-door neighbour's son dated a mob princess for a while. I took to writing down license plate info
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 11:04 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
Here we have food being billed as "farm produced" or organic as a selling point.

We have them too, plus the "free from mafia" ones...

To the OP, I wonder how fucked-up a kid will grow up when (s)he's told that (s)he killed his or her own mother with a gun as a toddler.
revelette2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 11:58 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
To the OP, I wonder how fucked-up a kid will grow up when (s)he's told that (s)he killed his or her own mother with a gun as a toddler.

I imagine years of therapy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 12:03 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

given the communities this sort of thing happens in, there will be annual celebrations and they will in turn be shot by their own child
revelette2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 12:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Maybe living in a hick country ain't so bad after all. I know if someone belonged to the mob it would be a big thing here, it would be thought a horrible sad thing if a baby (toddler) shot his/her mother or anyone else. Churches would probably take up money or something.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
the private use of those semi-automatic weapons in negotiation.

What could there possibly be to negotiate?

Has anyone come up with any sort of argument against allowing their use?

Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Germany is another country where the presence of guns does not lead to a high homicide rate.

Correct. Thanks to our weapon laws ...

What sort of law allows wide possession of guns but causes a low homicide rate?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:57 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Our cultural has always considered guns a right, I guess because most people coming to this country back then seemed to be fleeing something from somewhere.

It is because we used to be part of the British Empire, where the right to carry guns in public used to be universal.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:58 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
We just need to find a better spokesperson who emphasis making guns safer does not mean taking guns away.

Futile. We know that the Left bans guns every chance they get, and for no other reason than the joy they get from violating civil rights.

No spokesperson is going to talk us into disbelieving reality.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:59 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
The Americans hord all kind of guns, but few are hunters and evern fewer know how to handle a gun.

Plenty of Americans are hunters.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 03:01 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
But not 400% higher, which is what it is.

We're a violent country. Some countries are even more violent. Most are less violent.
0 Replies