Toddlers Have Already Shot 23 People This Year And It’s Only May

Blickers

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 03:42 pm
@Linkat,
Quote Linkat:
Quote:
Sampling of developed countries with murder rates higher than the US...
...Bermuda

I'll deal with the others in another post.
First, Bermuda. GDP per capita $84,000. Population 64,237. That's not a country, that's a town.

Something else to consider, not that it's necessary: Income distribution. Both you and Oralloy have mentioned crime filled neighborhoods as to why America should not be compared to other wealthy, advanced countries. Actually, we don't have all that many more poor neighborhoods compared to other wealthy nations. Income distribution is measured by the GINI index, with 0 meaning everybody makes the same amount, and 10 meaning one guy owns everything. The US' GINI index has moved up from 39 to 45 in the last few years, and people are talking about how bad this is. Actually, it isn't good, but let's look at some countries' GINI index for 2010:

https://jonnystar.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/figure-three-gini.png?w=600&h=328
https://jonnystar.wordpress.com/2014/08/25/a-look-at-income-inequality-in-bermuda-gini-coefficients-lorenz-curves/

The "high" number the US has, (40 in 2010, 45 now) is not so bad compared to the UK, which is considered to have a much more moderate income distribution. In fact, the US is not so high compared to Denmark at 25. Bermuda is 67. That means that a VERY small amount of people have almost all the wealth in Bermuda, and therefore the poor neighborhoods are a very, very large percentage of the population. Wealth is a big factor in violent crime, although not the only factor, and Bermuda has a lot more poor people than it does middle class and rich people.

That's the reason for Bermuda.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 04:10 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
From what I have observed, big changes only happen if the narrative gets changed and accepted. The NRA and gun lobbyist have been very successful in making the narrative be about the government taking away your rights.

Actually, violating our rights. Our rights could only be taken away with a Constitutional amendment.

Anyway it was an easy success. That narrative has the advantage of being completely true.

revelette2 wrote:
However, I think that has been changing according to the last few years polls on the subject. We just need to people to care enough to keep fighting even when there hasn't been a big shooting for a while. Unfortunately, we as a society are pretty fickle with short attention spans.

That's a futile hope. The truth isn't going to stop being true.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 04:12 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Taiwan's example does not provide any evidence that gun control-or at least handgun control, which is where the murder problem is-won't lower our murder rate.

When you take Taiwan in context with all the other countries, some of which have lots of privately owned guns but a low homicide rate, it shows that gun availability has little connection to homicide rates.

I've heard before the claim that the problem is handguns as opposed to guns overall. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of good data that I know of that focuses on handguns alone.

Blickers wrote:
Taiwan is something of an anomaly, because only 16% of its murders involved a firearm.

Why is that an anomaly? Even with all our gun deaths, the US's non-gun homicide rate often exceeds the total homicide rate of the European countries that we are frequently compared to.

Some of those European countries have lots of privately owned guns and have a low homicide rate.

There is just a very low correlation between gun availability and homicide rates.

Blickers wrote:
There is no evidence that decreasing handgun murders will result in a huge upswing in murder by other means to compensate.

Most murders are committed by humans who may well choose the easiest method to commit murder with, but are perfectly capable of using other methods if the easiest method becomes more difficult.

Moving the focus specifically to handguns takes us into a realm where (as far as I know at least) there is little data to base any conclusions on.

Blickers wrote:
Like I said, the nature of the country with its immigrant groups and other factors will always make America slightly more violent than other advanced nations, but not 400% more violent.

Our high levels of violence are caused by the third-world conditions in some of our neighborhoods.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 04:13 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Right now, i pray that an army of todlers pumps a few bullets into George Zimmerman.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/george-zimmerman-auction-gun-killed-trayvon-martin-article-1.2634153

Thanks for the reminder. I saw the good news this morning, and meant to talk about it when I got online, but had already completely forgotten about it.

This post is sort of mean-spirited of you. Mr. Zimmerman is a hero who saved who knows how many people, and he was subsequently horribly victimized by leftist zealots both in and out of the government.

He has every right to recoup his losses, and I for one am happy to hear that he is finally doing so.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 04:15 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
I know I read that this morning and I thought, what a sick attitude. Even if he thought himself justified, he should at least feel sorrow for the taking of a young life. Now he seeks to profit off of it.

Hardly sick. Mr. Zimmerman suffered unjustified losses from his persecution, and he has every right to recoup those losses.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 04:18 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
Actually, we don't have all that many more poor neighborhoods compared to other wealthy nations.

Yes, but our poor neighborhoods are much much worse.

Other wealthy nations tend to have a strong social safety net. The US tends to have low tax rates on rich people.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 04:48 pm
@Blickers,
I think you are making my point - the point being you can't just blindly pick countries to compare - you need to use all countries and then look at the stats and maybe why each country is falling where it is. Is it poverty? Is it gun laws? Is it ethnic? Is it cultural?

You are obsessed with monetary development and then when it is pointed out that countries considered as a developing country due to their monetary situation and actually used that way by government regulations - you pick it apart.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't pick and choose what works for you -- that is biased statistics and the whole premise of the article I posted.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 03:22 am
@oralloy,
Zimmerman is a child murderer and he deserves to eat his own **** and die.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 03:47 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Zimmerman is a child murderer

That is incorrect. Discussion of the case sort of fizzled out on Yahoo after the first month or so, but it stayed active here on a2k. By the end of the trial it was very very clear that this shooting was entirely self defense.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 03:56 am
@oralloy,
He is a child murderer. You know it and he knows it too. You just don't care.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 03:57 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
He is a child murderer. You know it and he knows it too. You just don't care.

No. Self defense is not murder.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 06:14 am
@oralloy,
He jumped on the kid and killed him. That's an attack, not a defense.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 08:13 am
@Olivier5,
Three statements in row I agree with!!!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 08:15 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I think we have to outlaw babies.

When babies are outlawed, only outlaws will have babies.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 08:17 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Right now, i pray that an army of todlers pumps a few bullets into George Zimmerman.

Wishing a gun death on someone is a bad place to begin the argument against gun violence.
Blickers

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:14 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote bobsal:
Quote:
When babies are outlawed, only outlaws will have babies.

Not to worry, President Trump's deportation squads will march mother and baby right from the delivery room straight to the border.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 01:19 pm
Weedlord Bonerhitler, Racist McShootface push George Zimmerman’s gun auction past $65 million
Source: Raw Story

Fake bidders with names like Weedlord Bonerhitler, Racist McShootface, and Donald Trump helped drive George Zimmerman’s gun auction past $65 million on Friday morning, according to News 965. The site later showed that the fake accounts had been deleted.

Online bids for the gun, which had an initial reserve price of $5,000 — already far above the market value of a secondhand weapon — rocketed overnight Thursday and into Friday after it was listed on unitedgungroup.com, with five days left to go in the sale.

However, it was difficult to verify the validity of the bids, with participants using obvious pseudonyms and seemingly bidding against themselves as the price climbed past $53 million.

The auction site did not appear to have any restrictions on who could bid for the weapon and did not request down payments.

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/bids-for-the-gun-that-george-zimmerman-used-to-kill-trayvon-martin-rocket-past-53-million/
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 01:40 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
This world we live in is a damned odd place sometimes.
Linkat

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 03:08 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I like Racist McShootface - take after the McBoatface thingy in the UK
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 03:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
This world we live in is a damned odd place sometimes.

It is. But at least some of it provides for some healthy, loud, raucous laughter.
0 Replies