Rising fascism in the US

georgeob1

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 09:54 am
@Setanta,
Setanta, please note the opening statement (below) in my post that evidently put you over the edge in yet another snarling fit of meaningless pedantry and name-calling.
georgeob1 wrote:
The origin of the term "liberal' involved free market capitalism, and laws limiting the powers of previously entrenched aristocracies. This was then a big step forward from the government sanctioned monopolies and the vested aristocratic systems that preceded it.

I didn't make anything up, and your reference to the emergence of the term in political use in the British Parliamentary reform struggle is consistent with what I wrote.

A lot of all-too-typical sound and fury, and no real point or meaning at all. You're better than that, and have a lot to offer here. It's a shame that you so often indulge in this meaningless carping. It demeans you.

Lash

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 11:45 am
@georgeob1,
Setanta’s MO:

1. (automatic negative knee-jerk reaction to everyone but Blatham)
2. (Inserts word ‘snotty’)
3. Spews personally-held conspiracy theory about poster he’s addressing. (He has one for everybody.)
4. Repeats his own opinion about his disagreement with currently embattled poster, which is almost identical to what the currently embattled poster said, but gaslighting and bullshit makes him soooo happy.

Once told Lash there was no such word as ‘neoliberal’.

He’s a sad case.

Fortunately, you don’t need binoculars to scope out this last Dodo. Just search the word ‘snotty’.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 11:53 am
@georgeob1,
If the origin of the term "liberal' involved free market capitalism, this is an example of projecting modern notions onto the past.
georgeob1

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 12:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Not necessarily. These issues attended the parliamentary reform political struggles in Britain at the time - it was at the dawn of the modern industrial age.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 01:02 pm
@georgeob1,
However, the term "capitalism" and especially "free market capitalism" wasn't used then - Capitalism was a wholly late 19th-century experience.
georgeob1

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 02:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Words have meanings that change slowly over time. That indeed is exactly what the discussion of the meaning of the word "liberal " was all about ! It is the actions, processes and issues behind these changing terminologies that are significant. Non aristocratic Englishmen were indeed capitalizing and organizing business to serve the then rapidly accelerating exploitation of coal and then new machinery innovations to serve new markets. They had their own political interests and that too was a significant motivating factor in the Parliamentary reform issue, which gave birth to the political term "liberal"

I was using todays terminology to describe the origins of liberalism in Britain. Is there any alternative?

Perhaps 'pedantry' is a word you should examine further.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 05:22 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The nation is not endangered by Mr. Obama's commutation of Manning's sentence.

Pardoning him was a shameful act though. I see Manning's crimes as being at least as bad as what Jonathan Pollard did.

And while it is true that the nation was not endangered, Manning did set back the cause of global democracy by outing underground democracy activists to the world's dictators.
oralloy

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 05:24 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
The arrest Thursday of Julian Assange eviscerates all pretense of the rule of law and the rights of a free press.

So.... enforcing the law eviscerates all pretense of rule of law?

Quote:
The illegalities, embraced by the Ecuadorian, British and U.S. governments, in the seizure of Assange are ominous.

It is illegal for the police to arrest criminals?

Quote:
They presage a world where the internal workings, abuses, corruption, lies and crimes, especially war crimes, carried out by corporate states and the global ruling elite will be masked from the public.

No such abuses, corruption, crimes, or war crimes. At least, none by any Americans.

It is proper that internal workings remain hidden.

Quote:
They presage a world where those with the courage and integrity to expose the misuse of power will be hunted down, tortured, subjected to sham trials and given lifetime prison terms in solitary confinement.

Assange did not expose any misuse of power by any US official.

If he exposed corruption by non-US officials, that is laudable, but that does not outweigh his deliberate outing of underground democracy activists who were working to reform the world's dictatorships.

No one is going to torture him. No one is going to subject him to a sham trial. The plan is to give him very real trials in proper courts of law.

Quote:
The arrest of Assange, I fear, marks the official beginning of the corporate totalitarianism that will define our lives.

The left can be really goofy sometimes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:28 pm
@georgeob1,
The term liberal originates with the Romans, more than 2000 years ago, in liberalis, as I noted. By your own criterion, you demean yourself every time you attempt to equate what I write with left-wing extremism and/or communism. There was nothing in your post which was consistent with the emergence of the terms liberal and conservative after 1830. To give credit where it is due, it was JoefromChincago who hunted up the reference in a thread probably ten years ago.

You are undoubtedly well-educated, and expert in a variety of fields. History and the English language are not among them. You have lately, pontificated on a number of historical periods, such as the French revolution, when you clearly don't know what the hell you're talking about. If you don't like my responses, don't make **** up and post it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Ah-hahahahahahaha . . . that one is really hilarious.
FreedomEyeLove

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:30 pm
@Setanta,
I got your bullying thread taken down Santana. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:32 pm
@oralloy,
Chelsea Elizabeth Manning is a "her," not a "him." The rest of the drivel your posted in on a par with that typical gaffe on your part.
FreedomEyeLove

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:34 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Chelsea Elizabeth Manning is a "her," not a "him."

Laughing Drunk

Males have XY chromosomes. Females have XX chromosomes.

Manning is a HIM.

I know that science, facts, and logic are hard for you.
glitterbag

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 10:51 pm
@FreedomEyeLove,
What have your prejudices regarding sexual orientation or terminology have to do with fascism?? Maybe you should just put a sock in, it unless of course Chelsey Manning's situation consumes every second of your day. Might be wise to start a thread about your beliefs and swap stories with other like minded folks.
FreedomEyeLove

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 11:19 pm
@glitterbag,
People who have XY chromosomes are biologically MALE. People who have XX chromosomes are biologically FEMALE.

That is a F A C T.

And even children know that boys have penises and girls have vaginas.

Facts remain consistent whether you choose to believe them or not.

This is a great example of how you leftists are science deniers.

...lunatics
oralloy

Thu 18 Apr, 2019 11:28 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
The rest of the drivel your posted in on a par with that typical gaffe on your part.

Pointing out the fact that Manning set back the cause of democracy around the world is drivel?

I guess it depends how much one values democracy. In my opinion it was a horrible thing to do.

I doubt that anyone can make a case that Manning's crimes were less severe than those of Jonathan Pollard.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 01:28 am
@FreedomEyeLove,
http://scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/e1ec9da2bdc7e5216abc8cec77e2ec07/5D7491A9/t51.2885-15/e35/43915137_733260087043085_6471998373376294912_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.cdninstagram.com
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 04:00 am
@Setanta,
Now you think misgendering is wrong. I'm sure you'll be telling others of epiphany, it's not like you'd want people to think you're a hypocrite who picks and chooses when to attack bigotry.
Setanta

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 07:26 am
@izzythepush,
I have no idea what you are blathering about--not that that is a new thing.
izzythepush

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 07:41 am
@Setanta,
How convenient.

Selective memory loss is very much de rigueur right now. Next you'll be dying your hair bright orange.