Quotes that display the intelligence of George W. Bush

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:37 pm
Quote:
Have you ever sat in on one of his meetings with other world leaders? How is they never come out saying "Boy I sure wish I could understand what that Bush is saying! I never met such a dunce!" It could be that he speaks to them quite clearly and they understand him clearly.

I guess that 'could be.' I 'could' win the lottery today, and tommorrow the sun 'could' explode.

But.... the odds are against it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:39 pm
Yeah, pick a word, ignore the sentence. Do you work for the media?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:42 pm
Quote:
Have you ever sat in on one of his meetings with other world leaders? How is they never come out saying "Boy I sure wish I could understand what that Bush is saying! I never met such a dunce!" It could be that he speaks to them quite clearly and they understand him clearly.

So you believe that he's intelligent because no world leader has called him an idiot? Wow, what a giant leap of blind faith.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:47 pm
unfortunately we are given the prospect of electing a dunce from Texas/Connecticut/Maine (where is Bush from?) or a less than glib moderate in liberal cloth, do we get egg-roll and a fortune cookie? One can only hope for potential leadership qualities in the next round but I'm not counting on it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:52 pm
I didn't ignore the sentence. I just thought it was the most telling part of the sentence.

But, since you asked,

Quote:
Have you ever sat in on one of his meetings with other world leaders?

Obviously not. Unless I am Hans Blix in disquise. Muahahahah

Quote:
How is they never come out saying "Boy I sure wish I could understand what that Bush is saying! I never met such a dunce!"

How do you know if they do or not? This statement has no basis in fact and is pure conjecture - they might very well be saying that for all we know. Therefore, it does nothing to prove, well, any sort of point at all, really.

Quote:
It could be that he speaks to them quite clearly and they understand him clearly.

You are right. There is a chance that this is true, and he's only poorly spoken at certain times or on certain issues.

But, as stated above, what (as a voter) do we have to look at in order to judge his competency? His private speeches with other leaders? Or his public speeches? Hell, what are we supposed to think of the guy?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:57 pm
kickycan wrote:
Quote:

So you believe that he's intelligent because no world leader has called him an idiot? Wow, what a giant leap of blind faith.

Did I say that or did you come up with that gem all on your own?

One of the things that shows Bush's intelligence was his selection of people that make up his cabinet. It's one of the most experienced cabinets in a number of years. Bush has demonstrated an ability to remain stoic under extreme pressures and has lead our country to 2 great victories against world terror. Not small things by far.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:
One of the things that shows Bush's intelligence was his selection of people that make up his cabinet. It's one of the most experienced cabinets in a number of years. Bush has demonstrated an ability to remain stoic under extreme pressures and has lead our country to 2 great victories against world terror. Not small things by far.

This is interesting. Someone else told me once that they voted for Bush even though they knew he wasn't very bright because 'he surrounds himself with smart people'. And you are right that these people are experienced. But I can't remember a time when I've seen very smart people follow the lead of someone who is of questionable intelligence -- except in my parents' church. Is it possible that they are leading him?

And I could argue all day about whether we've actually been victorious over terror.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:13 pm
I think it is a sad state when someone so obviously unqualified and uninformed will be defended to the death because of partisanship. You would think having a dunce for a president would be something that both sides would be against.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:16 pm
That's because only one side considers him to be a dunce and even then it's only those that exhibit the most vile forms of ultra-partisanship.

Freeduck had a very good grasp of the situation when saying "But I can't remember a time when I've seen very smart people follow the lead of someone who is of questionable intelligence ". The answer is obviously they don't.

Surely Powell, Rice, Cheney, Rumsfeld, et. al., aren't considered dunces, why in the world would they be so loyal to what some consider the most ignorant man alive? Even mcCain supports Bush. Why is that? Surely you don't believe it is merely partisanship.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:20 pm
McGentrix wrote:
That's because only one side considers him to be a dunce and even then it's only those that exhibit the most vile forms of ultra-partisanship.

Freeduck had a very good grasp of the situation when saying "But I can't remember a time when I've seen very smart people follow the lead of someone who is of questionable intelligence ". The answer is obviously they don't.

Surely Powell, Rice, Cheney, Rumsfeld, et. al., aren't considered dunces, why in the world would they be so loyal to what some consider the most ignorant man alive? Even mcCain supports Bush. Why is that? Surely you don't believe it is merely partisanship.

Yes, I do believe that it's partisanship. I wasn't talking only about partisanship of the people on A2K. Plus, you don't even know what these guys really think. They aren't going to come out and say something negative about the president while he's in charge. That would make them as dopey as he is. I think that both parties have lost sight of how to serve the country in their neverending battle for control.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:22 pm
McGentrix wrote:

I would be willing to bet there are a lot of Republicans who think he's a dunce too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:24 pm
McGentrix wrote:

No, this person I spoke to had voted for him and said she knew he wasn't very bright.

Quote:

I'm afraid I do. I think nothing was more important to this group of people than getting control of the whitehouse so they could further their agenda. I think they would want someone who is more malleable and less prone to independent thought so that they could get their agenda through with less hassle.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:25 pm
That a post about Bush's intelligence could elicit 80 posts (many of which recounting his oratorial gems) within less than a full day is telling ;D.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:32 pm
There are pages and pages of websites of this stuff, drom. It's amazing how much interest there is in Mr. Bush's verbal gaffes.

I always thought actions spoke louder than words - but then again, there are websites devoted to his actual mis-steps as well.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:35 pm
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
That a post about Bush's intelligence could elicit 80 posts (many of which recounting his oratorial gems) within less than a full day is telling ;D.

In only four hours, no less.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:36 pm
Any publicity is publicity nonetheless..

There was an article in an (unpartisan) independent paper over in England (ironically called The Independent) that said that he makes many verbal faux pas to endear himself to people as an 'average American' and as a human figure, rather than someone who has mucked around in oil a lot... interesting strategem. The I. doesn't often take up conspiracy theories.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:37 pm
Quote:

To speak metaphorically: if someone's climbed the ladder and they're safe there, you're going to grab onto their legs whether they're dirty or not.

0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:37 pm
Now that would be a sign of remarkable intelligence -- if he were actually faking it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:38 pm
Mucked around in oil is an interesting phrase. The fellow did manage to muck up several enterprises.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 02:39 pm
Well, if that's true, then it's another example of a dumb idea. The foreign press, and a majority of foreign citizens of the world seem to think he is a major horse's ass.
0 Replies