Quotes that display the intelligence of George W. Bush

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:22 pm
"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. "

"For all who love freedom and peace, the world without Saddam Hussein's regime is a better and safer place. "

"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended. "

"I sent American troops to Iraq to make its people free, not to make them American. Iraqis will write their own history and find their own way. "

"Presidents, whether things are good or bad, get the blame. I understand that. "

"Senator Kerry has been in Washington long enough to take both sides on just about every issue. "

"The once all-powerful ruler of Iraq was found in a hole, and now sits in a prison cell. "

"The regime must allow immediate and unrestricted access to every site, every document, and every person identified by inspectors. Iraq can be certain that the old game of cheat-and-retreat tolerated at other times will no longer be tolerated."

"The United States prefers that Iraq meet its obligations voluntarily, yet we are prepared for the alternative. "

"They're for tax cuts and against them. They're for NAFTA and against NAFTA. They're for the Patriot Act and against the Patriot Act. They're in favor of liberating Iraq, and opposed to it. And that's just one senator from Massachusetts. "

"This way of life is worth defending. "
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:25 pm
So, what side of the argument are you on McG? Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:37 pm
McG, do you feel that he is an intelligent person?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:41 pm
Just presenting both sides of the man, and yes, I do consider him an intelligent man. I also know for a fact that I am not unique in this belief regardless of what comes out of his mouth.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:43 pm
Once again, you cannot counter examples of idiocy with empty platitudes and expect anyone to think you are SUPPORTING Bush, McG...

NONE of those quotes you bring up show any real understanding of a situation, or analysis, or anything. They are just sound bytes.

We have a sound-byte president. Style, or the semblance of, over substance.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:49 pm
But when he flubs something it is somehow meaningful? Please. Your anti-bush is showing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:52 pm
If you went to a doctor and he told you "It's very important for you to understand that when there's less health, there's less healthfulness", wouldn't you look for another doctor?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:56 pm
"Hi everybody!"

"Hi doctor Nick."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:57 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Just presenting both sides of the man, and yes, I do consider him an intelligent man. I also know for a fact that I am not unique in this belief regardless of what comes out of his mouth.

I'm just curious what traits he has or actions he has taken that make you think, 'wow, that guys pretty bright'.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:02 pm
Quote:
But when he flubs something it is somehow meaningful? Please. Your anti-bush is showing.

I never tried to hide it. The man is a moron and has lead us down the wrong path.

But, to address your point, yes, it is meaningful when Bush makes elementary mistakes on concepts which are not difficult to grasp. It gives a good indication of the level of competence he brings to the job of president.

Normally in a debate the opponent to my position (namely, you) would provide instances where Bush is quite eloquent and well-spoken on similar issues, in an attempt to prove the opposite. You have failed to do so. Why? Because none of the quotes you have provided show any intelligence, or deeper understanding of specific issues, or insight. They are empty platitudes, which anyone can repeat - NOT an indicator of intelligence.

Therefore, to use your words: I win. Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:11 pm
Yeah, right. Keep dreaming.

I looked back through this thread to be sure, but I didn't recall you adding ANYTHING to this thread but a critique of my posting various quotes from G.W.

Nowhere have you demonstrated anything that would show Bush's lack of understanding, or his ability to be a world leader. Other's have posted various quotes from G.W. that shows him tripping over some words or attempting top complete phrases. That's it.

And to think I was called haughty. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:16 pm
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:18 pm
And what about this one?

Quote:
Question: Mr. President, you've been governor and a president, so you have a unique experience looking at it from two directions. What do you think tribal sovereignty means in the twenty first century and how do we resolve conflicts between tribes and the federal and state governments?

Bush: Yeah, uh, tribal sovereignty means that. It's sovereign. You're a… you're a…You've been given sovereignty, and your…viewed as a sovereign entity. And, therefore, the relationship between the federal government and the tribes is one between s…sovereign entities.

Now, the president should be able to answer this question without too much trouble, don't you think?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:18 pm
He means that the slaves from that region decided to stay in America because of what they found there, despite the conditions under what they lived. They have made a great impact on the shaping of america. You don't find that interesting?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
kickycan wrote:
"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, fool me once, shame on—shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again."—Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

This one just makes me laugh. Laughing

Truly one of my personal favourites. When this came on during F9-11, there were a lot of people who hadn't seen it the first time round. The snorting and gasping and laughing was kind of overwhelming. Especially given the conservative crowd I was watching the film with.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:21 pm
McGentrix wrote:
He means that the slaves from that region decided to stay in America because of what they found there, despite the conditions under what they lived. They have made a great impact on the shaping of america. You don't find that interesting?

If that's what he meant, he should have tried to say that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:29 pm
Quote:
Nowhere have you demonstrated anything that would show Bush's lack of understanding, or his ability to be a world leader. Other's have posted various quotes from G.W. that shows him tripping over some words or attempting top complete phrases. That's it.

Heh. You don't get it. His consistent lack of ability to speak clearly IS an indication of his lack of ability to be a world leader.

YOU may not consider eloquence to be important when dealing with international politics, but many others do, and when faced with a man as uneloquent as Bush one cannot help but consider him to be unsuited to the job.

I would add that your point about me not providing material to the thread is valid; however, I felt that my fellow posters covered my side of the argument nicely. This, however, does not change the fact that your posted quotes are quite tangential to the conversation - to use your own words, nowhere have you demonstrated anything that would show Bush's understanding, or his ability to be a world leader.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:32 pm
McG,

I'm still wondering what quality Bush posesses or what actions he has taken that lead you to believe that he is an intelligent man. And I really am just curious. Hell, maybe other people use different criteria than I do.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:32 pm
Have you ever sat in on one of his meetings with other world leaders? How is they never come out saying "Boy I sure wish I could understand what that Bush is saying! I never met such a dunce!" It could be that he speaks to them quite clearly and they understand him clearly.

His one or two sound bites a month that he flubs hardly makes him unqualified to be president.

BTW, did you see his interview with Larry King? He was very well spoken and answered King's wuestion accurately and professionally.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 01:36 pm
So you are saying you decided he was intelligent after watching him on Larry King? I only saw small bits of him grasping for words and Laura finding them for him.

I'm just not really satisfied with your answer. Because no head of state has called him an idiot he must be smart? I'm really hoping you can find me some indication of intelligence that I hadn't noticed.
0 Replies