Quotes that display the intelligence of George W. Bush

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:45 am
"But I also made it clear to (Vladimir Putin) that it's important to think beyond the old days of when we had the concept that if we blew each other up, the world would be safe." -George W. Bush, May 1, 2001

What an intelligent and thought-provoking thing to say to a fellow global leader.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:45 am
"It's very important for folks to understand that when there's more trade, there's more commerce." -George W. Bush, at the Summit of the Americas in Quebec City, April 21, 2001

Oh, that's how it works? Thanks for clearing that up, Mr. President.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:46 am
One can only hope that Putin doesn't speak English and that the translator cleaned it up a little.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:49 am
Leno's used the "hair pollution" line at least twice.
Kerry is no stand-up comedian but Bush is like a serious movie that is so lame it makes people laugh. Actually, there's a whole movie about it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:50 am
"I can hear you, the rest of the world can hear you and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon."

"Americans are a free people, who know that freedom is the right of every person and the future of every nation. The liberty we prize is not America's gift to the world; it is God's gift to humanity."

"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail."

"After the chaos and carnage of September 11th, it is not enough to serve our enemies with legal papers."

"America is a Nation with a mission - and that mission comes from our most basic beliefs. We have no desire to dominate, no ambitions of empire. Our aim is a democratic peace - a peace founded upon the dignity and rights of every man and woman."

"America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof, the smoking gun that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud."

"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people."

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

"For diplomacy to be effective, words must be credible - and no one can now doubt the word of America."

"Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve."

"Leadership to me means duty, honor, country. It means character, and it means listening from time to time."

"The momentum of freedom in our world is unmistakable - and it is not carried forward by our power alone. We can trust in that greater power Who guides the unfolding of the years. And in all that is to come, we can know that His purposes are just and true."

"You can't put democracy and freedom back into a box."
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:50 am
Oh my god, imagine having to be the translator? That must be an incredibly tough job with this guy.

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.'' -George W. Bush, Feb. 21, 2001

The person who said this is our president, for Chissakes. Doesn't that worry anybody?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:52 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Leno's used the "hair pollution" line at least twice.
Kerry is no stand-up comedian but Bush is like a serious movie that is so lame it makes people laugh. Actually, there's a whole movie about it.

Sorta like the Shurb equals Plan Nine from Outer Space, huh?

Now there's a pretty little bit of irony . . .
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:52 am
McGentrix wrote:
"I can hear you, the rest of the world can hear you and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon."

"Americans are a free people, who know that freedom is the right of every person and the future of every nation. The liberty we prize is not America's gift to the world; it is God's gift to humanity."

"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail."

"After the chaos and carnage of September 11th, it is not enough to serve our enemies with legal papers."

"America is a Nation with a mission - and that mission comes from our most basic beliefs. We have no desire to dominate, no ambitions of empire. Our aim is a democratic peace - a peace founded upon the dignity and rights of every man and woman."

"America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof, the smoking gun that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud."

"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people."

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

"For diplomacy to be effective, words must be credible - and no one can now doubt the word of America."

"Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve."

"Leadership to me means duty, honor, country. It means character, and it means listening from time to time."

"The momentum of freedom in our world is unmistakable - and it is not carried forward by our power alone. We can trust in that greater power Who guides the unfolding of the years. And in all that is to come, we can know that His purposes are just and true."

"You can't put democracy and freedom back into a box."

Every one of those, with the exception of the first one, was written for him. As to the first quote, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 11:53 am
Nah. They are too busy feeling patriotic, because (as McG pointed out) when Bush isn't screwing up basic english, he's throwing out platitudes and sound bytes, that while really meaning nothing, make people feel all warm inside about freedom and God.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:01 pm
Sort of like a Kinkade painting in a little fake village with fake trees, a fake stream and a fake cottage with fake candlight in the window. I feel so warm and cozy I may puke.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:02 pm
"I'm hopeful. I know there is a lot of ambition in Washington, obviously. But I hope the ambitious realize that they are more likely to succeed with success as opposed to failure." -George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

This guy graduated from Harvard! How is that possible? How is it possible that he even graduated from high school? It just blows me away that people think it's okay that a complete dolt is running our country.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:03 pm
I don't doubt for a minute that Harvard have completely impartial selection methods Wink.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:04 pm
We will double our special forces to conduct terrorist operations.

- John Kerry at the Democratic Convention no less, on 7/29/04
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:06 pm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:08 pm
A wonderful song, with intro quoted, by Tom Lehrer:

FIGHT FIERCELY HARVARD

I know it's very bad form to quote one's own reviews, but I would like to mention something that the New York Times said about me a year ago which I've always treasured -- they said: "Mr. Lehrer's muse is not fettered by such inhibiting factors as taste".

Now we come to that peculiar bit of Americana known as the football fight song. I was reminded not too long ago, upon returning from my lesson with the Scrabble pro at the Harvard club in Boston, of the days of my undergraduacy long ago when there used to be these very long Saturday afternoons in the fall with nothing to do -- the library was closed -- just waiting around for the cocktail parties to begin. And on occasions like that, some of us used to wander over to the... I believe it was called the stadium, to see if anything might be going on over there. And one did come to realize that the football fight songs that one hears in comparable stadia have a tendency to be somewhat uncouth, and even violent, and that it would be refreshing, to say the least, to find one that was a bit more genteel. And here it is, dedicated to my own alma mater, and called Fight Fiercely, Harvard.

Fight fiercely, Harvard,
fight, fight, fight!
Demonstrate to them our skill.
Albeit they possess the might,
Nonetheless we have the will.
How we shall celebrate our victory,
We shall invite the whole team up for tea
(How jolly!)
Hurl that spheroid down the field, and
Fight, fight, fight!

Fight fiercely, Harvard,
fight, fight, fight!
Impress them with our prowess, do!
Oh, fellows, do not let the crimson down,
Be of stout heart and true.
Come on, chaps, fight for Harvard's glorious name,
Won't it be peachy if we win the game?
(Oh, goody!)
Let's try not to injure them, but
Fight, fight, fight!
And do fight fiercely!
Fight, fight, fight!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:12 pm
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:14 pm
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:16 pm
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:21 pm
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 12:22 pm
You could actually see the words leaving his head on that one.
0 Replies