Bonnie Charlie Is Coming!

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 03:15 pm
Bonnie Charley is almost upon me! Eek!

Actually I'm not worried at all about this little blow 'N go, this storm is just about done.

My thoughts and prayers are with those down in Florida who lost their loved ones by a simple quirk of a hurricane that the forecasters couldn't predict.

This is so sad.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 05:11 pm
Current info from the weather channel reporting from the National Weather Service in Taunton, MA (the report is about 1 1/2 hrs old, was made at about 5:40 PM local time):

A tropical storm warning continues to be in effect for Southern New England from Watch Hill, Rhode Island to the mouth of the Merrimack River in Mass. A flood watch is in effect for all of Southern New England except for Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and Block Island.

AT 530 PM... TROPICAL STORM CHARLEY WAS LOCATED OVER EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA. CHARLEY CONTINUES TO ACCELERATE AND WAS MOVING TO THE NORTH NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. THIS MOTION WILL CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

The track is expected to run further East than originally expected, hugging the Delaware and New Jersey coasts. Will hit Eastern Mass. early Sunday morning with tropical storm force winds (35 - 45 mph) for about 2 - 4 hrs. Inland sustained winds are expected to be 20 - 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph.

A storm surge of 1 - 3 feet above normal is expected for the coastline with possible flooding of small streams overflowing their banks. Rough surf and rip currents are expected.

Rainfall is expected to be in excess of 3 inches.

Next Taunton update is expected in just under 2 hours.

Gee, I'm glad we went to the supermarket yesterday.

Hey, AngryWaves, how you gettin' along down there? You in the Lewes area?
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 07:06 pm
We're all here, up and strummin', thanking our lucky stars we were just below the danger line for good ole' Charley. We had a little rain and wind, nothing to speak of!

Hope you all in NC and New England will be fine and dandy, no damage and families will all be safe.

I think we should kick Charley back to Bonnie Old England ... what do yah say?
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:12 am
Thanks Jespah,

All is well, just heavy rains moved through and surprisingly no winds. I'm near the DE/MD border.

Now we've more rains on the way. Talk about your feelin' soggy.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:26 am
We got soaked in eastern Connecticut, fortunately no wind.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:56 am
I imagine Bethany Beach must be a scary place in a hurricane, Angry
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:04 am
Well, all. I always loved the song "With the Wind and the Rain in Your Hair"....took on a whole new meaning here.

Noticed in the news that "....unlike his father, Bush will personally visit the areas of devastation..." ..Daddy did not look at the aftermath of Andrew, and was sharply taken to task for not having done so. Who knows, that one thing may have cost Daddy the election.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 11:51 am
I can't tell you how relieved I am to see you all here.

How is New England doing now? Does anyone have news?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:00 pm
osso - thanks for the inquiry and alerting me to said thread.

I'm fine, though I was w/o power for 3 days. Came back on not long ago. Many trees. fences, and much concrete uprooted in my neighborhood. Absolutely ZERO traffic lights and street lights - out over the past several days.

Driving was rather nightmarish at night - which I had to do twice.

It really sucked.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:02 pm
Onyxelle, there you are! Good to see you!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:25 pm
Folks were concerned about you, Onyx. I did a quick search and came up with the worst hurricanes in history. If you're interested in seeing how Charley compares, check it out:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31343
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 12:32 pm
Good to see you Onyx... I was asking about you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 02:07 pm
So good to see you Onyx, sorry for the scariness and general destruction. :-( Glad everyone's safe.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:15 pm
Glad everything is getting back to normal, Onyx! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 03:33 pm
Hi, Onyx, phew, glad you're ok. Must be nerveracking to drive out at night with all the power off.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:13 pm
panzade wrote:
I imagine Bethany Beach must be a scary place in a hurricane, Angry

panzade, it would have been, for any of us in the vicinity; however, it pulled an exit-stage-right and we ended up with really heavy rains, but thankfully no winds.

Thanks for the kind thoughts Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 05:51 pm
Was a little wet here but really nothing much. We probably got far less than one inch of rain. Dunno 'bout the rest of NE, but Boston seems to have been more or less spared, but there is another mass coming in by tomorrow (is that another remnant of Charley? It's current over NJ).

Good to read everyone is safe and sound.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 06:00 pm
I guess now we have to focus our attentions to see what Danielle and Earl will be up to next. Boy, it's a little early in the season to be dealing with this on the east coast. We normally start looking for these storms come September.

Egads!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:01 pm
Just got power back here in Winter Springs Fla...

House took some minor damage, several trees in neighborhood down on top of homes (I got very lucky)

Almost 2 million in Florida still without power at this time.

No concrete figures on death count.

We are hearing reports that many people in mobile homes refused to leave despite mandatory evacuation orders.(No understanding the stupidity of some people.)

My hopes and prayers go out to all still in the dark this evening.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 09:52 pm
I am glad you're safe, Fedral, and that the trees missed you.
Being out of power for so long is really difficult, yikes.

On not leaving.. I sort of understand, especially if the storm did the twist. I am personally very, er, competent in the daytime and a wimp at night, because of weird vision, and don't drive at night, much less at night in high winds or pelting rain. Plus some peoples' pets are the closest beings to them, and shelters don't take them. I suppose I would leave town fast when I heard it was coming and get a motel somewhere (where, exactly?) but that is something of a luxury to be able to say that, or do that.

What we understand might depend some on where you're from. I find it hard to understand why people stay to save their houses when a firestorm is advancing - and that is a more common occurrence in California, my neck of the woods.
0 Replies