Bonnie Charlie Is Coming!

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 10:01 pm
Sorry forgot you were in Orlando area Fedral. Glad you're OK
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:23 am
This precious Life. These souls. hopes, dreams, prayers... all are but hostages of fate. This precious Love.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:48 am
Eh?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:28 am
Bush accused of exploiting hurricane in Florida as he offers aid to disaster area

Quote:
President George Bush flew into south-west Florida yesterday on a mission that was as much about politics as compassion for the area devastated by a hurricane over the weekend.

Accompanied by Jeb Bush, his brother and Governor of the state, and by Mike Brown, the director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema), the President toured - by helicopter and on land - Charlotte and Lee counties, which suffered the most damage by far from Hurricane Charley late on Friday.

He made the brief morning visit as a huge swath of central Florida struck by the storm was struggling to emerge from the debris and wreckage. The official death toll remained at 13 and as many as two million residents along the storm's path from the Gulf coast to the Atlantic remained without power. The cost of reconstruction is expected to exceed $10bn (£5.4bn).

For Mr Bush, the handling of the aftermath of Charley, the worst hurricane to hit Florida in a dozen years since Hurricane Andrew in 1992, could be crucial to his hopes of winning the state in the presidential election in November. Latest polls show his rival, John Kerry, with a slim edge in the state. Mr Bush will be heeding harsh lessons learned by his father, who was heavily criticised in the wake of Hurricane Andrew. In August 1992, three months before losing that year's contest to Bill Clinton, George Bush Sr came under criticism when he flew to the perimeter of the storm's worst damage south of Miami - and hastily left again.

After Andrew, moreover, there were loud complaints from local officials that the federal agencies, led by Fema, reacted much too slowly in getting assistance to the area. On being elected, Bill Clinton made the reform of Fema, which oversees all emergencies in the country, a top priority.

Experts also warned that Mr Bush faced a challenge trying to dispel any notion that he was trying to make political mileage out of the human tragedy left by the storm. If he achieves that, Charley may end up helping him recover support in a state which he snatched from Al Gore in 2000 by just 537 votes.

"The most politically useful trips of all are the, quote, 'non-political' ones," commented Larry Sabato, a professor of political science at the University of Virginia. "Presidents never look better than when they appear to be acting decisively in situations such as these."

But with Jeb at his side yesterday, the President faced an uphill task avoiding the impression that he was politicising the storm. Perhaps most critically, however, was the challenge of ensuring that this time assistance gets to the state more quickly. Already, President Bush had declared 20 counties in Florida as federal disaster areas - making them eligible for millions of dollars in help.

Most urgently, Fema was under pressure to provide emergency housing for as many as 10,000 people whose homes, many of them mobile trailers, were destroyed by the Category 4 storm that came ashore in Charlotte County with winds up to 180mph.

"People's lives have been turned upside down," Mr Bush said as he stood outside the home of Gary Nickols in Punta Gorda, a town of 15,000 that suffered the worst of the devastation. Mr Nickols, 57, had fled to a local church on Friday night and had returned to find his house mostly intact.

Mr Bush was quick to praise the emergency workers in the state, and by extension the administration of his brother. "There is a lot of help moving into this part of the world," he said, before leaving by helicopter for Fort Myers, where he picked up Air Force One and returned to Washington.

While the worst of the calamity was in Punta Gorda and nearby Port Charlotte, many other parts of the state were also trying to make sense of the storm's wrath. Most of Orlando remained without power and many areas had no safe water supply. Orlando, which saw its main theme parks, including Walt Disney World, get back into business on Saturday, has not seen hurricane force winds for 40 years.

Link

Politics strategy are also natural disaster and dead peoples....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:35 am
skipping the text, I see that this is a joust re the accusation that Kerry doesn't care, by not wanting to make his presence a complication.

There is history for this question, I gather, in that Pres. Bush's dad didn't visit after another disaster in Florida.

Personally, I don't think the election should hang on a visit from a figurehead. As symbolic as that is, real help is better if not more tv worthy. If the national parties scramble to help, well, there you go.

Building and Safety issues interest me almost as much, but aren't as sexy.
I understand from Panzade that I don't understand them, I say smiling, but he and others are helping me get it.

It seems vast numbers of places need shoring up or rebuilding from start.
Maybe... some,, er... codes?

osso
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:51 am
I reply to myself that that is only an easy answer. And as he said, no building short of a concrete cube can take a hurricane 4.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 02:03 am
Well, maybe or maybe not. Perhaps some steel here and there and it wouldn't have to be all concrete.

I didn't pop in here to be an in your face challenger in the time of trouble. I am just interested in what is learned, for all of us.

In some major earthquakes in LA in the early nineties a lot of things were learned. My bro in law was a senior inspector at the time, and so what. But I am sort of attuned through him, at least as to interest. and for myself, am also keen to understand.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:53 am
Charlie finally made the news here in the great southern isle. We got a lovely picture of Bush looking very sympathetic. We also got a look at the destruction, it's awful. My prayers are going out for all those who lost homes, family, or life.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:53 am
ossobuco wrote:
skipping the text, I see that this is a joust re the accusation that Kerry doesn't care, by not wanting to make his presence a complication.
There is history for this question, I gather, in that Pres. Bush's dad didn't visit after another disaster in Florida.

probably, but the sky's the limit......

-----
arrangements for aid to the disaster area is under way...
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 06:49 am
"It's amazing to see how media is treating Hurricane Charley.
They can't blame the Bush's for this one."--Bill Bennett
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 06:53 am
FI FY FO FUM!
-- Hurricane Charley

HI HO HI HO!
-- Merry Maids
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 09:20 am
I agree Chuck, the degree of polarization that the media is encouraging is unreal.
0 Replies

Margie Campbell

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 01:52 pm
Okachobee, FL...
Hi, I have a family member in Okachobee... does anyone know if the area was hit, and if so, how hard. Realize power may be out.. so that could be why Joanna Parker hasn't replied to my emails.
Marge in Lodi, CA
0 Replies

Margie Campbell

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 01:53 pm
Okachobee, FL...
Hi, I have a family member in Okachobee... does anyone know if the area was hit, and if so, how hard. Realize power may be out.. so that could be why Joanna Parker hasn't replied to my emails.
Marge in Lodi, CA
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 02:37 pm
I was playing with a band in Okeechobee and there was no damage there that I could see. I heard of no power outages.
0 Replies

Margie Campbell

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 04:47 pm
Okachobee, FL...
Thank you... then Joanna must be in Missouri with her mom for the summer months.
Marge
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 05:17 pm
(CNN) -- Florida Attorney General Charlie Crist filed lawsuits Tuesday against two hotels he said engaged in price gouging and other unfair practices as people fled Hurricane Charley.

Crist filed a complaint against a Days Inn in West Palm Beach and one against the Crossroads Motor Lodge in Lakeland.

"Hurricane Charley is the worst natural disaster to befall our state in a dozen years, and it is unthinkable that anyone would try to take advantage of neighbors at a time like this," Crist said.

"We are taking a two-pronged approach to fight this egregious behavior. Families putting their lives back together should not have to worry about price gouging."

The U.S. death toll from Charley rose to 19 Tuesday, the majority from traffic accidents, heart attacks and people electrocuted by live power lines, state officials said.

The state's latest estimate for the amount of damage caused by the storm is at least $11 billion, a number that is expected to rise as the costs are assessed.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:12 pm
The death rate is now 22!

I heard on the news of a man who got tired of waiting for the electric company to fix his electric, so he got a ladder and climbed up (obviously he knew what had to be done) to fix the problem, got zapped with almost 14,000 volts and is in critical condition.

Such a sad state of affairs, but the good news is the State is accomplishing a lot more in a much shorter time frame since hurricane Andrew flew in 1992, so we've learned a lot from that disaster.

Webpage Title
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 02:02 am
A Cuban calls his newborn son after the storm "charley", because it was a serious birth.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2004 06:50 am
We had a horrible t-storm last night, a lot worse than what we got from Charley. Lots of rain and lightning, but it ended pretty quickly.
0 Replies