I'll Never Vote for Hillary Clinton

DrewDad

Tue 24 May, 2016 02:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Create a Red Nation and watch how much wealth moves from the current Blue States.

I thought that was called "Kansas."
engineer

Tue 24 May, 2016 02:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The amount that is paid in taxes by the poor is really astronomical. I computed this once four years ago when Romney released his tax returns. Romney paid zero social security taxes, on a percentage basis less than one percent for property taxes, gas taxes, sales and utility taxes. Because just about all of his income is in capital gains, he pays 15-20% on it and most of the growth in his wealth is untaxed because he hasn't taken the gain on it. (Not to pick on Romney, but he did the whole 47% takers thing.) The working poor in this country pay 15% social security taxes (7.65% themselves plus the same from their employer), 6-11% sales tax (since they have to spend just about every dollar they get), typically 2-3% property tax (if they rent, it is folded into the rent) plus they get nickled and dimed on gas taxes, utility taxes, etc. Amounts that are insignificant to the rich add up to real money on the poor. When Warren Buffet said he pays a significantly lower tax rate than his secretary, he wasn't kidding.
Lash

Tue 24 May, 2016 03:23 pm
I don't know any Sanders supporter who thinks he'll be able to deliver on all of his proposals. How many did Obama deliver? How many has anyone delivered?

If he can re-institute Glass Steagall - only that - it will turn us around toward democracy and away from the crash and burn we are facing.

It's either follow him in the right direction or go straight to hell with Clinton.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 May, 2016 03:39 pm
@engineer,
How are you defining the "poor?"
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 24 May, 2016 03:40 pm
@snood,
You argued with me that there was no way Obama would be at the top of the ticket in Soz' Obama thread - before he announced. Who wouldn't say it was plausible after Iowa?

When it takes heart, you come up short.

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 May, 2016 03:40 pm
@DrewDad,
Cue Eddie Murphy laugh
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 May, 2016 03:43 pm
@Lash,
Well as long as you don't consider him a Savior.
Lash

Tue 24 May, 2016 03:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The crazy savior-like thing about him is that I believe he is a basically honest man in politics - and that is like spotting a ******* albino unicorn.
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 May, 2016 03:56 pm
@Lash,
I think he's more honest than most politicians but I don't think he's immune to the siren call of power. As much as I disagree with the majority of his positions, I have felt a nostalgic pull towards a more idealistic time in my life as respects his supporters.

I'm afraid the young ones are getting a harsh lesson about the way politics works in this world, but maybe that's better than the lesson that you shouldn't put all your hope in one politician. He was never going to deliver what they wanted.

Call me a cynic, but I think I'm a realist.
Builder

Tue 24 May, 2016 03:59 pm
@Lash,
He also has the balls to speak truth to power.

No wonder they're undermining him any way they can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM-tlpMHpdo
Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 May, 2016 04:02 pm
@Builder,
Hey, I'm not trying to bash the man, but it only takes balls to speak truth to power when doing so might lead to power removing your balls. Bernie was never in such jeopardy.
snood

Tue 24 May, 2016 04:04 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You argued with me that there was no way Obama would be at the top of the ticket in Soz' Obama thread - before he announced. Who wouldn't say it was plausible after Iowa?

When it takes heart, you come up short.

Okay, so you're saying you're a liar, and I didn't call you deluded on Soz' thread?
Lash

@Finn dAbuzz,
He's been marginalized as crazy for most of his career for speaking truth to power. That's the primary reason Hillary allowed him to run on the D ticket. She thought he'd be a cute sideshow on the procession to her coronation....
maporsche

@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Hey, I'm not trying to bash the man, but it only takes balls to speak truth to power when doing so might lead to power removing your balls. Bernie was never in such jeopardy.

Exactly right; he had a cushy job in a small very liberal state where he's never had a serious challenger for election (in part because Democrats haven't ran anyone against him in a primary).

It doesn't take much courage to be against something when there's literally no consequence to doing so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 24 May, 2016 04:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It pains me deeply to acknowledge that i mostly agree with Finn about this one.
snood

Tue 24 May, 2016 04:08 pm
@Lash,
How much "heart" does it take for your touting of Bernie? It's not like you're going off to war, or something. What have you got to lose; what are you putting at stake? Certainly not your reputation. Get a freaking grip.
0 Replies

snood

Tue 24 May, 2016 04:09 pm
@Setanta,
dang, me too
Lash

Tue 24 May, 2016 04:11 pm
@snood,
You know you said it. Don't be a liar. Revelette is watching and she really needs a good role model!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 24 May, 2016 04:11 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It pains me deeply to acknowledge that i mostly agree with Finn about this one.

You'll recover Pooch.
Setanta

Tue 24 May, 2016 04:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeah, given that you consider me a puss-filled boil, as you said in a thread of mine, you can bet i don't really give a rat's ass about you.