I'll Never Vote for Hillary Clinton

maporsche

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:03 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

maporsche wrote:
I don't care if you like Clinton or not, I just can't see how you can possibly prefer Trump/Rubio/Cruz over Clinton. I still don't believe you actually do.

I never said I preferred those lunatics over Clinton. But then I'm not voting for them either, so I'm not sure what your point is.

You know exactly what my point is, and I'm getting tired of saying it, so I'm going to stop.
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Not voting for someone you think would make a bad president is not the same as voting for someone you think will make a worse one.

No, it's not the same in ALL aspects, just the one that matters in the end. The one where one person gets elected as president. I'm all for ideological stands and voting based on strong ideological principles...in state and local elections and even in the house and senate. When you're faced with the reality of what this choice means (republican's controlling all both house and senate, executive branch, and an important judicial appointment), the only moral choice is to vote for the opposing candidate (Clinton, likely in this case).

Quote:
Your argument only makes any kind of sense if you think one candidate will destroy the country.

I think a republican government with little checks and balance (for at least 2 years) can very much damage the country and it will destroy the lives of some citizens within the country. Much more than a Clinton presidency will do. Much.

Quote:
If Trump wins the nomination I won't vote for him, but I can assure you I don't think HRC will make a better president than him. As much as I think she will hurt the nation, I trust in the system to keep her reigned in.

You think a Trump presidency would hurt the country less than a Clinton one? In what way?

Quote:
People get way to whipped up about candidates and comparisons between Trump and Hitler are as ludicrous as comparisons between Sanders and Stalin.

Don't bring this bullshit to our conversation; I've never gone there and wouldn't.

Quote:
It's not habitual of me to defend Joe, but his take on the election and his vote is entirely defensible.

From an ideological standpoint, absolutely. From a moral one, not a chance.
Debra Law

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:22 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

HuffPo writer: Republicans can never not be racist

Quote:
This is because the standard, both in the media and in popular culture – is applied differently to Republicans than it is Democrats. In a recent exchange with Wolf Blitzer, Newt Gingrich aptly described this as “selective media outrage.” It’s not that outrage over comments like those made by Nugent is necessarily misplaced, it’s that many are rightly curious as to where the outrage is when substantially similar comments are made from the other side of the political spectrum.

So, Mr. Hutchinson, would you apply the same standard of perpetual racism you accuse Republicans of to your fellow Democrats?

You select a few examples and damn an entire group, which party fought desegregation? Which party fought to keep slaves?

Party designation means nothing ... ideology means everything. The Republican party that exists today is not the same Republican party of Abraham Lincoln. The Dixiecrats opposed desegregation and moved over to the Republican party.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:27 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

You select a few examples and damn an entire group, which party fought desegregation?

I think you know the answer to this but I'll go ahead and address it. The group that strongly championed segregation currently calls themselves Republicans. The original group that supported segregation called themselves Democrats, but the national Democratic party repudiated them and so they walked out of the Democratic convention in 1948 and formed the States' Rights Democratic Party, nicknamed the Dixiecrats. (Note that under the threat of a significant division in the party, the Democrats chose to stick with the principles of expanding civil rights and let the bigots walk, something the Republican party should consider.) When their rebellion fell short, the Dixiecrats nominally returned to the Democratic party, but their leaders (including Dixiecrat Presidential candidate Strom Thurmond and super bigot Jesse Helms) led the move to the Republican Party and when Nixon signaled the Republican party would let their bigotry slide the movement begin in mass. Dishonest (or perhaps self deceiving) Republicans will say that Democrats championed segregation, so I say again - Thurmond, Helms and many others left the Democratic Party because it would not tolerate their bigotry.

Thank you. It amazes me that so many people look only to party designation and ignore the ideology that prevailed in the party at the relevant time.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:36 pm
@maporsche,
I have little patience with someone who makes a statement like "Don't bring this bullshit here..."

It's pretty obvious that you are someone who thinks Trump or any other GOP candidate would be close enough to a Hitler that your bowels would go to water if he or she won.

Stuff it until you get off the high horse you accused Joe of riding
maporsche

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Ok then. No skin off my balls.

You're simply wrong about my view though, and you can't come close to making that case using what I've said.

I've NEVER in my life compared someone to Hitler. I get disgusted every time I see someone do it.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 03:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Real Music wrote:
If my choice is to vote for Hillary Clinton or the eventual republican nominee, I would clearly have to vote for Hillary Clinton.

There will be other choices.

Real Music wrote:
To not vote is not a choice I would make. To not for one candidate is not that much different than actually voting for the other candidate.

And there you're wrong. If leftists (I won't use the terms "liberals" or "progressives," as those terms are largely meaningless now) could coalesce around a single candidate - say, the Green Party's nominee - and show, by their numbers, that they are a force to be taken seriously, then the Democratic Party might be nudged into adopting a more leftist agenda. We've seen that happen many times before in US history - such things as the income tax, direct election of senators, and women's suffrage were all advocated by third parties before being adopted by a major party. More recently, Ross Perot's insurgent candidacy in 1992 made the presidential race all about the issue (or non-issue) of the budget deficit, which politicians are still yammering about today.

If Clinton is the Democrats' nominee, a vote for a third-party candidate won't be a vote for her Republican opponent. It will be a vote for principles that Clinton and her party cannot be trusted to advocate in office. It will be a message that leftists cannot be ignored or taken for granted by the centrists who control the party. That's a message worth making and a ballot worth casting.

It is a long-held political maxim that the Republican Party fears its base while the Democratic Party despises its base. This year's presidential contest has proved that. It's about time that leftists got out of their one-sided, abusive relationship with the Democratic Party.

I agree. This election cycle has opened my eyes and I don't like what I'm seeing. The party has shown us that Hillary Clinton is the establishment's selected heir apparent to the presidency, and they didn't care if the many millions of us who lean left didn't want her. They might think we're in their pockets, but I hope they're having a few second thoughts about now and losing some sleep. Actually, they should be drowning in worry.

(I think our country sits so far to the right at this time that a significant shift to the left won't even get us close to the center.)
Debra Law

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:03 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Sorry if the response wasn't fast enough for you, I don't live online. At least I didn't tell you to get a quarter and try again.

First, I will say that the Republican party prior to the 70's was actually very pro-civil rights. I grew up a Republican and that history was part of that. That the Democrats completely rejected the segregationist policies of the Southern branch of the party is also part of the record and they did it at great potential cost, a cost the Republicans never had to face (since they had no presence in the South prior to the 70's). Prior to the '48 election, the walkout of the Dixiecrats was predicted to completely throw the election to the Republicans. It was huge when Truman beat Dewey anyway.

You say there was no move to the Republican party. I was there (as a Republican) and I know that you are absolutely wrong. When I was in civics class in the 70's, the teacher basically said that you might as well register Democratic because otherwise you couldn't vote in the Democratic primary where the final candidate would be chosen. As I moved up through high scho0l and into college, I watched the massive move to the Republican party as a result of Nixon's Southern Strategy. Really loathsome politicians at the local level all underwent conversions and started running on the Republican side where they could make it out of the primaries to the general with their version of "states' rights" and coded words for racial segregation. As a Republican at the time, it was shocking to see who was calling themselves a Republican all of a sudden. It's easy to find the national leaders like Strom Thurmond who changed parties, but he wasn't he only early adapter. You can find others with ease. Charles Pickering who said "the people of [Mississippi] were heaped with humiliation and embarrassment at the Democratic Convention" because their segregationist beliefs were not respected, Bo Callaway (House member and Sec of the Army), Albert Watson (representative from SC and last person to run an openly segregationist gubernatorial campaign), it is not hard to find others. As Lee Atwater pushed the Southern Strategy harder and the South found more and more national pushback against their continued resistance to desegregation, the move accelerated. Jesse Helms moved officially in '70 along with Georgia's Bob Barr. Trent Lott, John Connolly (who won a very close gubernatorial election as a Democrat against a Republican who had also switched parties), John Jarman (OK Representative) and even sweet ole Elizabeth Dole. Perhaps our most famous KKK politician, David Duke, ran as a Democrat in the 80's but got nowhere - until he changed his affiliation to Republican and got elected to the La. House.

It is not hard at all to find where all the serious segregationists went in the 60's and 70's. They left the place that had become completely hostile to them and went were they were wanted and loved. If you want to claim that the overall Republican party was more progressive than the overall Democrats in 1940, I won't argue that although I think the non-Southern Democratic party was very progressive. If you want to argue that those who stood most in the way of civil rights in this country were not effectively banished from the Democratic Party in the 60's and 70's and ended up with successful careers as Republicans, the data is clearly and overwhelmingly against you.

You say Democrats are ignoring their history of poor civil rights support. I'd counter that you are ignoring the Republican's current poor history of civil rights support and Trump's rampant intolerance towards women and minorities. Excusing today's Republican failings by pointing to 70 year old Democratic failings doesn't work very well, especially when all those disaffected Democratic bigots migrated over to the R side of the column.

Thank you, Engineer. Great Post.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:04 pm
@Debra Law,
It's been moving right for so long, any change in direction is not possible.
maporsche

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not by voting for Sanders or by allowing the Republicans to win the election.

Politics start at home. Want to change the direction of the country, vote out your congressman
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:06 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

We both agree to disagree.

I never agreed to that.
joefromchicago

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:08 pm
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
(I think our country sits so far to the right at this time that a significant shift to the left won't even get us close to the center.)

I concur.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:15 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Do you agree that if all of the far-leftists in America did what you a proposing (hoping?) they do, and put their support behind a third party candidate (Sanders), resulting in a Sanders loss, a Clinton loss, and a Trump/Rubio/Cruz win that literally millions of Americans and millions of those around the world will become more poor, have less job prospects, lose more freedoms, have their rights restricted, and in general be more harmed (in various ways) than if Clinton was president and Sanders returned to Congress?

If the people have to hit rock bottom to open their eyes and to overthrow the corrupt party establishment out of office ... if that's what it takes to get millions and millions of people motivated to bring about a "change we can truly believe in", then yes ... all that harm must come to pass in order to build a more perfect nation. Neither a parade of horribles nor an appeal to emotion will sway me to vote for Hillary Clinton.
maporsche

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:21 pm
@Debra Law,
What "change you can truly believe in" specifically is worth all that suffering?
Debra Law

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:27 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Debra Law wrote:

There is no difference between Clinton, Trump, Cruz, and Rubio.

This may be the most inaccurate post posted in the history of time.

I agree with JoefromChicago. All of them are unfit for office.
maporsche

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:30 pm
@Debra Law,
Not equally unfit.
Real Music

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:36 pm
@joefromchicago,
My mistake. I may have misunderstood your post. I believe that voting for a third party candidate who has no chance of winning would be throwing away my vote. Especially if I have a preference between the two candidates who have an actual chance of winning. I say it is a vote thrown away if I were to vote for Ralph Nader who has no chance of winning while not giving that vote to Al Gore who has a real chance of winning while ultimately resulting in George W Bush winning who is further away from my views than Al Gore. I never voted for Ralph Nader. I was just using that particular instance as an example of throwing away a vote. Although, I prefer Bernie over Hillary, I greatly prefer Hillary over any of the republicans. Even with any of the issues I may have with Hillary, and I do have issues with Hillary, she is still closer to my views than any other republican.

Let's be clear. In the primary I will definitely vote for the candidate that I prefer which is Bernie Sanders. Now, if Bernie Sanders loses the primary to Hillary Clinton, I will definitely vote for Hillary in the general. Or if Bernie wins, I will definitely vote for him general. Yes, I do disagree with Hillary on some issues not all issues. I disagree with republican on almost every issue. There is a difference between the two.
Debra Law

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:49 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Not equally unfit.

They are all wolves. The only difference between Hillary and the others is that Hillary's wolf wears sheep's clothing. Perhaps the one in disguise is the one we should fear the most.
Debra Law

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's been moving right for so long, any change in direction is not possible.

I'm seeing some things on the internet ... through social media ... through blogs, etc., that make me believe that the young people of this nation are pissed off about the shape of the country we're leaving them. Perhaps they get too much guff for being the "selfie" generation because I think they're paying attention. I think they're exposed to so much more than I ever was growing up, and I have get hope for that they will turn the tide.
Debra Law

Thu 25 Feb, 2016 05:15 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

What "change you can truly believe in" specifically is worth all that suffering?

Sobriety.

Oftentimes a drunk has to hit rock bottom before he gets sober and stays sober.

We're already suffering as a nation, we just have to decide when we've had enough.

0 Replies