What will you do when you win $6oo or 700 million in the Powerball?

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 06:32 pm
I plan to build a second story on my mobile home. Take the wife out for a steak dinner.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 28 • Views: 15,715 • Replies: 223

FBM

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 06:39 pm
I would switch to a bacon-based diet and keep a heart surgeon on retainer.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 06:47 pm
@FBM,
I would that the family and friends to Disneyland.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:09 pm
I'd first give most of it to where - maybe the doctors sans borders people, but I'd have to look into all that. A friend is a long time donor.

I live on little. These things are separate, he doesn't know my stuff.

I'd take what was left and travel to places that interest me, which are many.
Since I'm now oddly older, I may or may not need help. I'm interested in small places, but also big cities. I might need to get away from some of them, or get them..
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 07:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I would get an unlisted phone number, hire security, engage a great accountant and a tax advisor and 2 lawyers. One to take care of my legal issues and the other to investigate the other lawyer to make sure he/she isn't fleecing me.

After establishing scholarships for family's children college, paying off my son's and brother's mortgage and a few others who have mortgages, we would go on a kick ass vacation and schedule and pay for all the relatives who will be irritated they didn't have the winning ticket to go on the vacation of their choice.

Then we would buy my son and his wife new cars, a new house and buy two or more outrageously overpriced and over equipped big his and her's Audi.

We would create a no kill shelter for unwanted and stray animals, and give ASPCA a pot load of money. Also provide funds to charities that actually do something useful with the money they receive and don't create huge wealth cushions for the executives who 'manage' those funds.

Install a better security system.

But I haven't given this a great deal of thought, so I should devote some time to this matter and get back later.
roger

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:16 pm
If I couldn't decide what to do with it, I could always get married again. That'd take care of it.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:19 pm
@roger,
You would be in debt in a year. Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Take your time; I've got plenty of it to spare - at the moment. Wink
BTW, I can fill that position as your accountant. Good education, good record.

But, if I win..........watch out!
FBM

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2016 08:30 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

If I couldn't decide what to do with it, I could always get married again. That'd take care of it.

You can save time by just finding someone you don't like and giving them half of everything you have.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 12:04 am
@FBM,
Thats funny, Rod Stewart said something similar. Roughly, he said (after many marriages and division of property) that if in the future he thinks he wants to remarry, he will just buy the women a house and leave it at that. It's not verbatim, but I think it captures the essence.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 12:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Take your time; I've got plenty of it to spare - at the moment. Wink
BTW, I can fill that position as your accountant. Good education, good record.

But, if I win..........watch out!

You will be the first person I contact. Uhhhh, well.... after I get an unlisted phone number. Since you are an experienced traveler, we can plan trips and take members with us, and of course mr. g'bag and all the little g'bags. I think it will
be grand. I forgot when the next draw is, but I'll let you know when to start packing. What am I thinking!!! the g'bags should pack their bags and head to California. Don't stress, we will book a floor in a luxurious hotel, and you and the misses will be our guests.

I wonder if Motel 6 can fill the bill?

What I love about lottery obscene payoffs, is the flight of fancy I dream up. It's a cheap vacation, and if you don't win, wait until the next gargantuan pot of money is up for grabs.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 12:29 am
@edgarblythe,
fer sure
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 02:47 am

Buy a 35MM print of the original Star Wars (Han shot first) that is in very good condition, and which has very high grade lasting color, then lend it to Team Negative 1 to scan for their fan preservation project.

Buy a 70MM print of Empire Strikes Back with as good as quality as possible, particularly in the scenes where 70MM differed from lesser prints, and also lend it to Team Negative 1 to scan for their fan preservation project.

Help J. Michael Straczynski get full control over Babylon 5 (and related shows). Fund a restoration of the shows (with JMS in full control over everything) so they can be released in high definition 3D video (perhaps even 4K).

The local colleges in my area used to have a Shakespeare play every few years. It wouldn't be put on by the local students, but by a visiting band of actors that I presume traveled from college to college to perform the play. But it has been awhile since there have been any such plays at nearby colleges and I miss them. Perhaps I'd fund such a traveling group of performers so they could travel the country performing Shakespeare at colleges.
JPB

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:23 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

The local colleges in my area used to have a Shakespeare play every few years. It wouldn't be put on by the local students, but by a visiting band of actors that I presume traveled from college to college to perform the play. But it has been awhile since there have been any such plays at nearby colleges and I miss them. Perhaps I'd fund such a traveling group of performers so they could travel the country performing Shakespeare at colleges.

Great idea!

If I win then I'd have to wait for the state of IL to solve it's budget crisis so that it could pay me. Right now (and for more than 6 months now) IL lottery winners have been getting IOUs from the state. Then, once I had my IOU redeemed into an actual payout I would create two trusts. A family trust that pays out not more than 2.5% of it's holdings/year (should last forever and keep up with inflation) and a charitable trust that concentrates on supporting the arts.
firefly

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 08:42 am
I finally succumbed to the excitement and hype and bought two Powerball tickets yesterday.

There is entertainment value in the anticipation and fantasizing that go along with the purchase, although I have no expectation of actually winning the top prize--in fact, I'm not sure I'd want to win that much money at this point in my life, I think it would be a somewhat stressful burden.

Should it happen, however, I wouldn't mind getting a custom designed, fully staffed, luxury home, with every amenity my little heart desires, maybe even more than one such home in different locations, and a new car or two or three as well, and, of course, a private plane to facilitate easy travel. Most of the money would go into a charitable foundation to fund various philanthropic causes and projects, in a wide range of areas, and being able to be involved in something like that would be enormously satisfying.

If I simply win more than $4, which is all I've invested, I'd count myself lucky and ahead of the game. Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 09:28 am
@FBM,
Im gonna keep farming till all the money's gone
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 10:19 am
When I quit drinking and smoking, I began using a fraction of the money saved, to throw away on the lottery. I had a double purpose in so doing. First, I sort of hoped I might win a big pot. Second, the politicians had started talking up a state income tax, about the time the lottery was instituted. I figured if enough of us bought lottery tickets, it might head off the income tax. I don't know if my figuring was correct, but nobody has pushed for a state income tax since then. This way I am feeding the state, but have a chance of getting some back.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 01:16 pm
I would make a tarnhelm--a chain-mail sort of helmet-veil--so I could turn myself into a dragon that I would name, Fafnir. Then buy a huge pile of gold, which I would put in a cave and just stay there protecting it. Oh, wait! That's the Ring Cycle.
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 01:21 pm
@coluber2001,
maybe you could work on the libretto as a screen play. Its gotta be the boringest piece of music after Irish folk songs. IT NEVER SHUTS UP!!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 01:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Buy a townhouse in Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, or Park Slope, Brooklyn.
0 Replies