What will you do when you win $6oo or 700 million in the Powerball?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 02:04 pm
I think t is going to be 8 or 9 hundred million by draw day.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 02:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://i63.tinypic.com/1f9rh5.png
Chances are....
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 03:36 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's close enough to zero chance.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:37 pm
Nobody needs that much money and all the money in the world can't buy happiness. I would set up trust funds for the three kids then I would find different charities and donate it to them. A friend of mine is a nurse and she works in a cancer ward for kids. A big chuck of it would go there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:39 pm
I would buy an army and conquer Texas.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:40 pm
Joke. Joke, feds. Smile
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I would buy an army and conquer Texas.

Edgar, I hope you win the entire pot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 05:45 pm
buy a nice condo on the lake
get myself a lifetime train pass
donate money to every local arts group I can think of

get another dog or two

buy a couple of pounds of scallops and a bottle of wine and have a goood meal
boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 07:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I would hire a great architect to figure out how to rebuild my house into a more functional floor plan while retaining the quirky charm we've come to love. Then I'd hire a great landscaper to make the outside beautiful. Then I'd just enjoy it.

Oh yeah... and all that other college for Mo/home for wayward dogs/Planned Parenthood donations, lawyer fees, kind of stuff.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 07:46 pm
@ehBeth,
dry pack scallops from Maine or Nova SCotia or New Brunswick.

Just brown em in butter (little teeny bit of olive oil to keep the butter from burning-[Cav told me about that trick]). Then when theyve just got a browning Flame em with some Southern Comfort (2T), then splash with a bit o slt and pepper and eat the best damn seadfood there is.
I love lobstah and clmms but I can get sick of em after two days strait. Scallops, never-theres so many ways to do em up. (SImpler the better)

Also.I would buy the Philadelphia Eagles Football team. Nobody's doing anything with them at the moment.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 08:12 pm
@farmerman,
Clams are one of my favorite seafood. We go the By The Bucket in San Jose where I get a 'bucket' full of steamed clams with bread to dip in the sauce.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 08:15 pm
@farmerman,
I use that olive oil/butter thing but I prefer a bit of dry white

scallops would definitely be on the menu regularly
glitterbag

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 09:38 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm really curious about the butter/olive oil trick, maybe I should have a gas range because its better than an electric range controlling the heat. We don't have gas lines in my part of the county and if you want to cook with gas you have to install tanks in order to fuel your kitchen. I would doit tomorrow if I could figure out a way to place them on my property. I live on the corner of a lot thats visible 360 degrees. I don't want to be the eyesore that everybody complains about. And I don't want to drive up to my house and the first thing I see is a ugly display of equipment.

So if I win the jackpot I can hire somebody to figure out how to convert my kitchen to gas. I would much rather have a gas range and oven than my current electric crap. When is the drawing, I wonder if I should start looking for natural gas whiz kids.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 09:42 pm
Obligatory for Office Space fans:

roger

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 09:47 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

If I win then I'd have to wait for the state of IL to solve it's budget crisis so that it could pay me. Right now (and for more than 6 months now) IL lottery winners have been getting IOUs from the state. Then, once I had my IOU redeemed into an actual payout I would create two trusts. A family trust that pays out not more than 2.5% of it's holdings/year (should last forever and keep up with inflation) and a charitable trust that concentrates on supporting the arts.

I think you should just decline the prize and let the State of Illinois off the hook. They've surely earned a break, and from here they do look kind of needy.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 10:02 pm
@FBM,
I love that movie. All the characters are like people you have encountered in real life.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 10:06 pm
The day Texas issues IOUs is the last day I buy tickets.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 10:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Same here. I think that's a large part of its appeal. I watch it a couple of times a year because I like the way it affects my attitude towards things. Wink
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 10:33 pm
Well, the cats could use a new throw rug for their food dishes.

Maybe I'd also get one of those heavy weight, anti-mildew shower curtains for my bathroom. I couldn't let Wally see it though, or he'd want one too.

A few years back when I was temping, we were talking about some penthouse in NY that was on the market for a kajillion dollars. Silly comments like how it better have 2 parking spaces, and such. One of the other temps was not the sharpest knife in the drawer. He seriously though that might be a problem. When I said I would only buy it if they put in heated towel racks, he said "Do you think they would do that?"
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 06:56 am
@roger,
Very needy, indeed! I don't know about the "surely earned a break" part.

So…. now it's up to $800 million. Crazy numbers.
0 Replies